1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Which of these do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Aug 6, 2013.

?

Which is your fav

1. A

22.3%
  2. B

77.6%
  1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

A. http://i.imgur.com/ZGhRvpL.png

The food and temperature meters would be on screen all the time. The breath meter would appear only when drowning. The smiley face in the middle of both bars would change to an unhappy face/skull when either bar gets low.

Pros: Almost all info on screen all the time. Cons: Bottom of the screen no longer GUI free.

B. http://i.imgur.com/KlpFCaJ.png

The food bar sits beneath the health and energy bars and is on screen all the time. Both the temperature and breath meters only appear when you're beginning to get cold/beginning to lose breath. Leaving the bottom of the screen clear most of the time. And often only displaying one of the two.

Pros: Less clutter at the bottom of the screen, bottom of the screen reserved purely for the game.
    Cons: Top left area a little more cluttered with 3 bars next to eachother.

Which do you like best?

Aer_, class101, Squiddy and 29 others like this.
  2. Option B. Looks a lot less cluttered, and we don't really need to know our breath level unless we're in danger of running out.

Maw, Ghinao, Hallowfell and 16 others like this.
  3. Dtb290

Dtb290 Pangalactic Porcupine

Definitely B. The more bars there are on the screen the more I tend to find myself staring at bars the whole time rather than staring at all the game's pretty arts :3

Nikki, KainZero, Hallowfell and 10 others like this.
  4. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Option B looks cool
    I like B
    It might be not as pretty as a, but i feel like it's more informative than a
    More simple than A

KainZero and DJOkamical like this.
  5. Raindrac

Raindrac Existential Complex

B for sure. Less GUI clutter is great, and the food bar fits great in the upper left w/ health.

Nedox, Tape and DJOkamical like this.
  6. MDoubleM

MDoubleM Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, B is way better

DJOkamical likes this.
  7. Zical

Zical Void-Bound Voyager

B... Bars are awesome

DJOkamical likes this.
  8. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

Top is supposed to have a lot of stuff. This isn't a MOBA, so it's fine to have clear areas of the screen and irregularities.

~ockpii

EDIT: Eh, both are fine. I like the design of A.

Squiddy, ToastyGod, RedDire and 8 others like this.
  9. GenaroGX

GenaroGX Void-Bound Voyager

B is more appealing IMO.

DJOkamical likes this.
  10. aljam

aljam Cosmic Narwhal

B makes a lot more sense. Looks better imo

DJOkamical likes this.
  11. Bladgrim

Bladgrim Aquatic Astronaut

Definitely B. The food bar seems to fit well under the health/energy bars, and a consistent piece of UI just seems out of place at the bottom of the screen.

DJOkamical likes this.
  12. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

B. I don't mind the food meter being there all the time. And less focus on the bars when they aren't in danger is a better way to go about it.

DJOkamical and Xefs like this.
  13. KingDarkLord

KingDarkLord Scruffy Nerf-Herder

14. reversePsychologist

reversePsychologist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think they both look slightly confusing or at least they require to look at a lot of parts of the screen, that said to give honest feedback I should probably play first and see if I get used to it.

Option B seems better at least, it's coherent that the hunger bar is there and there's two neatly separated bars for the other things.

Have you considered the idea of not including them in the hud and maybe make them pop up at certain checkpoints, but still making them accessible in between those via inventory or other things?

EDIT: nevermind, apparently B partly has this, which makes it even better!

DJOkamical, Curly Parmesan and Befoul like this.
  15. Pencil Shavings

Pencil Shavings Void-Bound Voyager

B for sure.

Or, option B rotated 90 degrees on a side of the screen.

16. icepick37

icepick37 Phantasmal Quasar

I like where the breath bar is in A. Needs to be somewhere where you WILL see it. And you're already looking up top.

I'd support a hybridization where the breath bar is moved in B. :)

17. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

B. The less clutter the better.
    (Or option C. No bars, just a numerical display that changes colour to reflect your heat levels. And the hunger/oxygen levels from option B.)

DJOkamical likes this.
  18. JpeachesD

JpeachesD Orbital Explorer

I like B, but put the GUI at the bottom of the screen to the top, So we can see all the bars in one place at any given time

19. Chalky

Chalky Void-Bound Voyager

B, absolutely. The food bar is very subtle and it's useful to be able to look at a single location to see a summary of your current status.

DeadlyLuvdisc and DJOkamical like this.
  20. Emilgardis

Emilgardis Phantasmal Quasar

Offtopic: Look at that! Never thought I'd catch you in action :rofl:.

I voted B, but I like A too. B seems more like the style it should be. A is what I want it to be :rofl:.