Weapon Customization

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Daitenshi, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

First off my apologies if this has been suggested. Hopefully this will be entirely different from other suggestions.
    Like It if you really do! Lots of Likes Draws attention!

Alright, Alright, So since this is near the Top of This List Here At the Moment I reformatted this Post. See Below for the original.
    Edited June 26 See Below For Pre-Edit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's The deal: As much as I love finding randomly generated weapons, I also love fine-tuning and making a weapon to my liking. As far as we currently know weapons will be pieced together from separate parts like Barrel, Bullet-Type, Status Effect, and so on. Really the Visual and Mechanic combinations are limitless. That is just the problem however. With all of these combinations what is the odd of finding a weapon that we EXACTLY like? Not too high. Without giving a player an unfair advantage, This post suggests having a system where weapons can be deconstructed and reconstructed with the resulted parts. This can be done with Melee and Ranged weapons of all kinds. Due to the Nature of this mechanic, this may cause some unbalance to the game. With all of your Help, I plan to offer up ideas that will keep this balanced as well as fun while keeping the desire to find more random Weapons.

So, we are faced with the Issue of keeping this mechanic Balanced. Let's List some, at least what I imagine, are some requirements for this to even exist. Yay! Lists! I love Lists! Remember The Dev's Have the final say and this is all conjecture.

• You have to Have the Weapon To deconstruct it.
      • Think About this for a moment. Okay. Done? Well while Timmy over there may have the Spread-Goop-Shot Of Epic Damnation you have yet to Find one. Timmy Isn't sharing. Making the player own the weapon before being able to Deconstruct it for Parts will make players Search for more and more weapons to Deconstruct Making every weapon found Valuable in some way.
    • Weapons will Balance out to a net Benefit of 0 (In Theory Atleast)
      • Imagine Every Weapon has a Value associated with it. Within Tier 2 each weapon will have a value of (-10 to +10). Now for a weapon to be properly constructed, each Piece will have a number from (-10 to +10) associated with it as well. Got it? Good! Now. The Reconstructed weapons will balance out to a Net Benefit of 0. This means whatever Part gives you benefit, there will be a negative effect associated with it as well.
        • For Example: You have a Shotgun. In this Shotgun, you have Exploding Rounds (+5) and Extra long Reload (-5) Because these to cancel each other out, it is considered Balanced. The best part is that YOU are able to choose what the negative effect is and what you can live with for your play style.
    • Reconstructed weapons are not better than their original.
      • This means that there are better weapons out there! So searching for them will sill be beneficial
    • Components Gathered from Deconstructed items will have the same Rarity and benefit as their Constructed Counterpart.
      • Components from a Green weapon will be green
      • Components from a purple will be Purple and So on.
    • Can Weapon Components be Printed?
      • Based on what we know, I wouldn't see why not. However, if they can't that making your perfect weapon will be far more challenging and much more rewarding.
    These, and any more you fine fellows think of can help keep this balanced while letting us construct the exact weapon we desire.

These will consist of things from handle/grip to bullet type and Condition effects. I believe The visual Components should be individually available for Mix-and-matchery as well. Have a list!
    • Potential Modifiable Stats:
      • Ranged Weapons
        • Accuracy
        • Damage
        • Energy Consumption
        • Spread
        • Recoil?
        • Damage Type (Fire, Electricity, Acid, and so on...)
        • Rate of Fire
        • Status Effects
        • To be Continued...
      • Melee Weapons
        • Weight/Speed
        • Knockback
        • Damage Type
        • Status Effects
        • Length
        • To be Continued...
    • Components:
      • Ranged Components
        • Grip
        • Barrel
        • Energy Source
        • Clip/Magazine
        • Suppressor
        • Bayonet
        • Scope
        • Fore Grip
        • Bi-Pod
        • Under-barrel Attachments
        • Flashlights
        • Separate Ammo Types (Incendiary, Explosive, Match Ammo)
        • Need more
      • Melee Components
        • Blade/Head/Striking Part
        • Haft/Shaft
        • Grip/Handle
        • Weights
        • Need More
    • Status Effects
      • Bleeding
      • Cripple
      • Slow
      • Poison
      • Burn
      • Paralyzing
      • Corrosive
      • Blind
      • Petrification
      • Weakness
      • Confusion
      • Fear
      • Enrage
      • Need More

I personally believe this should be an NCP and Rare mechanic. My biggest fear, as i have stated before, is that having exactly the weapon you desire will remove any need to explore and look for new items. Please help me elaborate and address these concerns. :love:

Please Have fun and Help Iron out this idea! Keep it clean and Intelligent if possible ;3

First off my apologies if this has been suggested. Hopefully this will be entirely different from other suggestions.
    Like It if you really do! Lots of Likes Draws attention!

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Since this game is in such an early stage, I do not know about the level of customization in the game, hopefully there is something like this planned.

What I suggest is having weapon customization via a part combining system. This is such that weapons can be pieced together from things such as Grips, barrels, mechanisms, and so on to provide separate bonuses to the weapon in question.

The way this should be gone about is by finding specific higher tier weapons can be upgraded and modified to do specific things or modify stats the weapons have.

Potential Modifiable Stats:

Ranged Weapons
    • Accuracy
    • Damage
    • Ammo
    • Spread
    • Recoil
    • Damage Type (Fire. Acid, Lightning, Acid, so on)
    • Rate of Fire
    • Status Effects
    • To be continued...
    Melee Weapons
    • Weight/Speed
    • Range
    • Damage Type
    • Status Effects
    • To be continued...
    ...Continued

Customization Pieces
    Ranged Pieces
    • Grip
    • Barrel
    • Energy Source
    • Clip/Magazine
    • Suppressor (you're welcome tomany2)
    • Bayonet
    • Scope
    • Fore grip
    • Bi-pod
    • Grenade Launchers
    • Mass Shotgun
    • Laser Sights
    • Flashlight
    • Separate Ammo Types (Incendiary, Explosive, Match Ammo)
    • Dual, or Taped Magazine (allows for 2 fast reloads, and than 1 long reload between the 2 due to the bulk, this all assuming there WILL BE RELOADING?)
    • Need more Suggestions
    Melee Pieces
    • Blade/Hammer Head/Part You Hit Crap With
    • Haft/Shaft
    • Grip/handle
    • Blade/handle/Grip Weights
    • Need More Suggestions
    ...Continued
    Status Effects
    • Bleeding
    • Cripple
    • Slow
    • Poison
    • Burn
    • Paralyzing
    • Corrosive
    • Blind
    • Petrification
    • Weakness
    • Confusion
    • Fear
    • Enrage
    • More Please
    ...Continued
    How You Upgrade
    Obviously there needs to be some method of upgrading, It can't be something that is accessible instantly since it provides a significant benefit to the player. Via some sort of table or NPC.

From Ace's Idea:
    There will be different tier's of upgrades from "Crumbling Scope" to "Legendary Scope" Each with varying stats and benefits.

Table/Npc:
    There should be some lovely window brought up with an image of your Weapon and modifiable pieces. With stats displayed and what stats were before the changes and what they are now.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far! Let's Keep it up!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. BLEITCH

BLEITCH Master Chief

Good Idea.

If I may add to your idea, it would be great if you could find weapons and take them apart. Say you found a weapon with, some kind of special ability, or grip, that increases speed but lowers attack power. And you had another sword with a blade that had a blade that lowers...say range, but increases attack power, you could break them both down, and combine the parts you needed/wanted.

Sefercil, Rikharthu, JATATDC and 16 others like this.
  3. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

let me help you with that

Ranged Pieces
    Silencer
    Bayonet
    Scope
    Foregrip

4. Daitenshi

Thank you guys! Great Ideas. I cant believe i didn't think about scopes and all that

Davidssj7 and Serenity like this.
  5. Xegan Hive

Xegan Hive Subatomic Cosmonaut

Something to consider for ranged weapons would be having a way to mount then like a tri-pod or to go prone with it for stability and accuracy.

Serenity, CoherentManatee and Ace like this.
  6. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

Quick question(s)
    Were would Grenades, Rocket Launchers fall? What if it is an EMP Grenade?

aaronza200 likes this.
  7. Daitenshi

That would be interesting, Sacrificing your mobility for the increased accuracy. I have no idea how viable that is in a Platformer, but at least having a Prone would add interesting mobility options like crawling into small tunnels, You should create a suggestion for prone and crouching! I'd be happy to help further that idea

I didn't even think of those. But how viable would it be to upgrade a weapon you can only use once? If you provide me with a good reason to upgrade a one-time-use Grenade then I will happily add them. ^-^ Rocket or Grenade launchers would fall under the Ranged Weapons.

8. Ace

Ace Aquatic Astronaut

To add to your idea, which might I add is a great one, I think there should be special items to find/acquire in some way such as souls you imbue into your weapon during creation or some sort of item that you can receive via mission/quest/chest that great enhances the weapon. (for example, an ancient scope, which has a higher rarity than a quick scope..yada yada)

9. Daitenshi

I'm not sure how "fantasy" this game is. But are you suggesting that there are separate kinds of scopes say. "Human Made" vs "Advanced Alien Made" Which provide seperate/different/larger bonuses depending on the rarity or make of the piece?

SPARTEN1337 X13 likes this.
  10. Ace

Ace Aquatic Astronaut

Well yes, in a way, and if there are countless planets with countless species, the options are quite limitless.

11. Daitenshi

Indeed I wouldn't Mind a more ancient styled planet.

Ace likes this.
  12. doused

doused Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would like the possibilty to enhance. like next to the weapon would be a number. +1 +3 +8.

When you enhance you use a certain material to make an Enhancer. you can make Enhancer+ and Enhancer ++ with more endgame equipment.

these would increase all the stats on the weapon but it can be risky.
    Enhancer's have a 90% rate of success and go down by 10% each enhance (kinda hard to make.
    Enhancer + have 100% the first time and go down by 10 each enhance. (Would be hard to make)
    Enhancer ++ have 110% the first time and go down by 5% each enhance. (would be VERY VERY VERY hard to make)

The material can be whatever, i dont really know what they are yet so i could not say.

Ace likes this.
  13. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

That is some interesting stuff.

But we really don't know how the Dev's have got this planned.
    you did encompass a wide variety of effects and attatchments.
    If the Devs forgot any, they will notice now :D

Serenity likes this.
  14. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

if anything a mod might come out of it sooner or later.

15. GameGecko

GameGecko Cosmic Narwhal

Customization has been confirmed, but not sure in your way, so good suggestion :33

doused likes this.
  16. doused

Alot of suggest have been confirmed allready =p

17. SierraKhaar

SierraKhaar Orbital Explorer

The problem will be to find a balance between everything you just said so they would need to narrow it down :)

The more values in the weapons the more they have to balance each other out = alot of work.

Devide them first into Accurucy, damage, range etc.
    Then under these add Silencer grip etc. and what the difference between "range upgrade 1" and range "upgrade 2"?

Or have all these giving the weapons only a slight change in stats, but that could result in noone using the weapon customization :)

18. Daitenshi

Indeed ^_^ there's always the work to find that balance. I'm Glad this has been confirmed, i hope they listen to us when we have suggestions to improve it.

19. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

Taking a page from borderlands, how about a stat for firearms that grants ammo regeneration while you hold it?

aaronza200, Ohness and ShadowWolf_04 like this.
  20. doused

yes, that and life steal.

aaronza200, Ohness and ShadowWolf_04 like this.