Weapon Customization

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Daitenshi, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Fumpoli

Fumpoli Space Spelunker

DEFINATLY

2. AnotherSpecter

AnotherSpecter Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would certainly use recoil to my advantage, have a great bonus and quite a bit of recoil on a weapon, and it could be an amusing way to move around and evade things

3. Thejimster82

Thejimster82 Master Chief

Maybe for ranged weapon additions, why not add stocks (at the back of the gun), and maybe for melee weapons you could add parts like sheaths that maybe show on the character while holding the weapon or maybe a jewel at the bottom of the hilt (for higher grade weapons).

4. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

This is a good suggestion weapon customization is always fun.

5. Vahi5

Vahi5 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Nice! If I may, I have a couple things I'd like to add:

Parts:

Bolt (kinetic guns)/Capacitor motor (energy weapons): Affects Fire Rate
    Blowback Cycler (Kinetic guns): Reduces recoil by using it to load the next round, rather than a spring-fed or gravity-fed magazine.
    Overcharge Capacitor (Energy weapons): Determines the amount of energy that can be funneled into a charged shot.
    Discharge optics (Energy Weapons): Affects damage and range, beam/pulse width

Upgrades:

Capacitor/Barrel Electromagnets: Increase Damage.
    EM Coherence Field (Energy Weapons)/Extended Barrel (Kinetic guns): Increase maximum range
    Magnification optics (Energy Weapons): Makes the beam/pulse wider, but lowers damage.
    De-magnification optics (energy weapons): Makes the beam/pulse thinner, increases damage.

I may add more things to this if I think of any.

6. SpaceHyena

SpaceHyena Zero Gravity Genie

It is nice to customize things, armor and weapons. I personally give a game a score of 50/100 if it has customization in it cuz i love it so much. But im thinking, with all those randomly generated weapons and such I dont think its really necessary. We can paint our weapon so thats something already. But even IF you find this one weapon you will stay with for a longer while, after some more travelling and adventureing you will find a different looking and a different acting weapon. There can be small customizations but I dont think we need some really complex customization for weapons or anything else. Then again I dont think vechicles would be randomly customized so that would be nice to be able to customize nicely. ;)

7. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I have some more status conditions.
    Freeze
    Shock
    Stun
    Curse(If an enemy is cursed every time it attacks it will loose health,same for the player)

8. isaiahkingwhat

isaiahkingwhat Intergalactic Tourist

If You Defeat A Number Of Creatures\Monsters You Get Points For Upgrading!:lolwut:

Sorry If Someone Already Posted This!

9. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

I like this idea, changing around weapons to suit you. I would like it even more if it were dynamic, you can change the gun on a continuum. Increase the fire rate by 5%, and other effects go down, make it a series of sliders like the Humble Bundle payment sliders, but instead of picking which charity your money goes to, you pick how cheap it is to kill things versus how effective you are at killing things.

For these sliders we'd need a resource, i'm gonna call them upgrade points, each gun has a set number of them, usually in the low hudreds, each point of damage would consume 1 upgrade point. But you also have other things to worry about. At least fire rate. Certain gun modules, like scopes and energy cores can be fitted, which cost some upgrade points to apply them, and add more sliders. Scopes add a range or bullet drop slider, while energy cores add a energy efficiency slider (the more points you put into it, the less energy it costs to shoot the gun).

This wouldn't take as much coding as one would think, the gun randomizer must have a system like this already in place, so this will just allow players to control the randomizer on their current gun.

If needed, changing the gun's properties beyond a certain point causes them to become more and more expensive, making the gun somewhat less effective, so that not only finding a gun that is more powerful, but one that resembles what you want is required. Hopefully a player doesn't become too attached to a niche or rare property.

Certain modules, anti-modules, add a nerf to the weapon, like bullet drop, more energy consumption, speeding up enemies, overheating, or even damaging the player as it's fired, but they give the gun more points to spend elsewhere.

Some other properties not in the OP:
    homing (think Terraria's Magic Missile, I loved that thing.)
    smart (it chases down enemies)
    bullet speed
    shotgunning/multifire
    AoE
    energy buffer (stores energy, making the first shots cheaper, but they get more expensive as the buffer is depleted)

10. adamtaa

adamtaa Title Not Found

Like masterwork armor.

11. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

I keep clicking the vote up button but IT SAYS I CAN ONLY VOTE ONCE!!! OHHHH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!

12. Pseudoboss

[​IMG]

pankakeman and NightFire like this.
  13. EntityOfTime

EntityOfTime Subatomic Cosmonaut

Another good component might be the binding of the weapon. For example a sword might a have a metal binding or something like that.

14. Pseudoboss

What would this binding do?

15. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

I agree that having a bit of modification on weapons would be good [adding a small part or accessory to increase accuracy, power, speed... like, a set of five or so pieces to be used with a ranged and another set to be used with a melee one]

But having so much focus on ranged and melee weapon modification seems a bit too much for StarBound. You guys should go play Cube World or Mercenary Kings. [yep, all the weapon customization you can have.]

16. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

17. Danijongo

Danijongo Master Chief

I agree, hope it will be in the game, its a must in any open world! :)

Of course doesn't have to be in a high level, like millions of modifications but you get the point, at least color it or add something like laser sight or whatever...

18. HachibiSama

HachibiSama Void-Bound Voyager

19. pankakeman

pankakeman Starship Captain

First off, very well done with the time and effort you put into making this post. Very long, fleshy and convincing ;) Cudos.

I think this would be a great idea. It's good for many reasons, and I see hardly and cons from what you've suggested. Everything is balanced out.

But hey, no reason why we shouldn't shake up the fun behind it.

How about some of these components:

Dispenses Flares like a Separate Ammo group easily. Say, a mining weapon.
    Throw's out slime to the ground when someone steps on it, they get slowed, hurt, bleed, corrode, etc.

I thought up more but quickly forgot them, sleep deprivation. But hey, worth a shot ;)

Either way, incredibly well done. <3

Pseudoboss likes this.
  20. ZeroFiveNosh

ZeroFiveNosh Void-Bound Voyager

I honestly was hoping that weapons could have "Vanity" (graphic covers over them) So my Flamedemon sword could look like a regular katana if i wanted.

I think if you craft something you should be allowed to name it.

Repainting weapons would be cool.

I think weapons (and equips in general) should lean towrad classes. If you use melee you should be knock down resist, fast, and high defense, if you range you field of view could increase, and you can headshot (get critcals easy), and if they make a magic type class they should get max energy, and energy regen. I like to think of it as rock, paper, scissors; Melee > Range > Magic > Melee

And i don't EVER thing that weapons you find should be "overall" better than one you make. If weapon tier go from 1 - 10 found/loot equipment should only go up to 8.