Weapon Customization

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Daitenshi, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

You should explain what all the stuff actually does ;)

2. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Wow! This is currently at the Top of the Suggestions Votes in Weapon Mechanics. Thanks guys :)

With the Reveal of the 3D Printer, would it be possible to replicate the indivitual parts of the weapons? Also my theory on gathering said Parts is to disassemble weapons you find for them. Any Ideas?

3. Gurdil

Gurdil Orbital Explorer

Im thinking of assembling a flashlight to a weapon :O
    That would be awesome in the caves

Baku Vicen likes this.
  4. Daitenshi

If we go with the "Disassemble/Re-assemble" Method that would be entirely possible.

Baku Vicen likes this.
  5. LordPants

LordPants Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Seems a bit much coding at this point of the game, but it totally needs some sort of customization.

6. Daitenshi

Yeah, I was worried that it would be a bit much. Still, it doesn't have to be at launch and we have no 100% reveal on the weapon crafting.

LordPants likes this.
  7. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

If these were flat upgrades then it would make changing weapons a real hassle as you would lose of your abilities with that weapon. Plus, a lot of weapons would just be skipped because they were too close in tier to the weapon you have and upgraded.

So, these modifications should cause a net balance of 0 in terms of how good a weapon is. However, having a higher tier modification would just incite more positive and negative attributes and this will allow weapons to be specifically tuned to the way the user wants it.

8. Daitenshi

You are correct. However how can this be implemented in a manner that would prevent players from Simply Min-Max'ing a weapon with modifications. Despite your Method of Having the net benefit balance to 0. Where is my motivation to actually search for more weapons?

9. Alpha_Squad

I would imagine it would be the same thing that would drive them to find new weapons if there was no min-maxing, curiosity mostly.

10. Zero270

Zero270 Orbital Explorer

I must say that while these ideas are great i think its over thinking the whole point of this game. Its an exploration game yes it may have more sub genres but the roots of it is about exploration. Personally I don't want to see this implemented because we are losing focus of the whole game. Is this a shooter (like COD) no. COD can have systems like this where you can customise guns and different things, heck you can give weapons skins, but I want to see more done on the exploration sides like abandoned space crafts. I think its a great idea but this is no the game for it. Plus the depth of the customisation is just ridiculous for a Platformer. Its up to the Devs to decide on whether they like it or not but if they do i would ask that they limit the customisation to maybe: Barrel, Ammo and possibly one attachment.

Tietzy likes this.
  11. Daitenshi

I understand that you seem to have an issue please correct me if i'm wrong. But the misconception here is that to you, this game is an exploration game and focused on nothing more. That is all. Here's the deal. That's not it. And if this were implemented, there already is crafting, then it would not take away from your exploration, but add to peoples desire to tune and tweak their play style. Our goal is to implement this and any other suggestion in a manner that is the least intrusive and helps include people in everything. By denying suggestions in that manner you deny people from playing their way. As a Matter o' Fact. Call of Duty (I shudder at the Name) "Stole" Weapon customization from RPG Games. Which this is. This is a Sandbox, Platformer RPG at it's heart. By that logic it is more fitting to have Weapon customization in this game rather than Call of Deplorable Business Practices. Please inform me if that fails to address any of your Concerns or any new ones that arise. I will be more than happy to discuss it with you.

12. Supagriff

Supagriff Astral Cartographer

I think that there should be a special kind of rare currency that allows you to use this feature. To pick and choose what you want should come at a steep cost... Maybe you need Modification Orbs, or a certain amount of Scrap Metal. Or potentially, a skill that you can level, that determines what level of item you are able to modify. Rank 1, Greens. Rank 2, Blues. Etc... Something that limits how often you can do this.

13. Cookie_Pickaxezz123

Cookie_Pickaxezz123 Aquatic Astronaut

Gravity grenades lik[COLOR=#ff0000]e [/COLOR]in 'Aliens in the Attic'!

14. Zero270

Zero270 Orbital Explorer

Ok so I will agree that the people should play the way they want but I'm just getting a feeling that maybe you should cut down on the amount of customisation. This isn't a gun editor is it? Like i said before I think there should only be a few customisable parts because there are already crafting recipes for guns and other weapons so maybe what they could do is have a recipe that allows you to insert different pieces to make the weapon. E.g. you have a recipe for a Pistol: 20 Iron, blue power source and platinum ammo. instead it may be 20 metal, power source, ammo. so you can choose what materials you want to use to craft the weapon.

15. Alpha_Squad

Some people just want a ridiculous gun editor to fool around with.

16. Evinagro

Evinagro Cosmic Narwhal

This reminds me of the Borderlands 1 Willowtree weapon editor. Im liking this idea alot.

17. Kroghammer

Kroghammer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For more melee components I think you could separate out the blade head/shape and edge type. Blade edge types could include: sharp, dull, serrated, saw, razor, plasma.

For another status effect, one of my favorites is called deep wound from Guild Wars. It was a great status effect where you lost 20% on your maximum health for a period of time. Worked well to try and hasten a kill, but if you didn't do damage fast enough, the effect would wear off and they would get the health back unless you could reapply the deep wound effect.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Deep_Wound

18. Daitenshi

That, sir, is a good idea. Let me go add them to the list.

On a Semi Related note, do you think i should elaborate on what each status effect does?

19. Kroghammer

Kroghammer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks, glad you like them... trying to think up a few more to add later :)

I dont think it is super critical to be specific as the Devs are going to do what they want with status effects. However, I think to have a general idea of what the possibilities are, I think it would be helpful to the discussions on this forum to elaborate on what each status effect does. I think you could add in possibilities for damage types as well such as: piercing, blunt, slashing, explosive, ect.

20. Berlus

Berlus Master Chief

Hi, good list! This is how I think how the weapons system should be.