22nd February

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Daimoth

Daimoth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great thing about this thread is that it's basically a litmus test for what your users want out of Starbound. Here's a list of the most common submissions in this thread and probable explanations:

1. Ship mods - We want to be able to change our ships in some way - without deleting our shipworlds

2. Light drones - people don't like placing torches around a la Minecraft, and they like how it opens up hostile
      environments for exploration

3. Mechs - well... they rule
    4. Stimlab - stims are trash by endgame

5. Persistent farmables - more of a feature than a mod, really. This one's obvious and should probably implemented internally.

6. Colorbound/paintbucket - Also obvious, should also probably be implemented internally

... and finally ...

7. Race mods = Your userbase apparently consists entirely of furries. Not sure about that one.

Interesting, wouldn't you say?:proper:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    Shaggyd0g likes this.
  2. Jean-Claude30

Jean-Claude30 Void-Bound Voyager

3. 'Firestorm'

'Firestorm' Void-Bound Voyager

4. Brownfinger

Brownfinger Aquatic Astronaut

I suppose Birds With Cocks is out of the question?

5. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

First and foremost, I'd like to nominate my Fixed Projectiles mod for this, since the collision checking of many of Starbound's projectiles are still kind of buggy (especially the explosive kind), in that they don't always do damage on impact.

As far as gameplay is concerned, I'd like to nominate my Rebalanced Beds, Rebalanced Voxels, Rebalanced Containers, and Expanded Tutorials mods, since they all provide small tweaks to gameplay that I personally felt were lacking in the base game, such as, respectively, a lack of beds that healed lots of HP, a lack of motivation for saving up for the higher-value voxels, the fact that larger cabinets seem to have just as much storage space as smaller chests (although the mod also adds interface support for multiple storage sizes, from 1 to 88), and a lack of an in-depth tutorial system (and guide book) that guides beginners through the basics of the game. I would've also wanted to nominate my Shadow-Casting Lights mod, which adds shadow-casting lighting to nearly every light-emitting object in the game (except for tesla spikes), but since I'm guessing that the reason why the feature was cut was because shadow-casting lighting causes more strain on computer resources, I'd be happy to get it featured instead. Finally, I'd like to nominate my New Biome Music mod, which changes each biome's music lists so that they add in unused tracks (including some seemingly-cut tracks like Jupiter and Glacial Horizon).

As for mods that I'd like to nominate that aren't developed by myself, here's a few that I can think of:

Ammo Overhaul - adds additional ammo types for guns to use
    AnTiMonster, Freaks of Nature, and HydroMonster - adds more variety to creature generation
    Bandit Hideouts, Dungeoneer Dungeons, and Increased Structure Variation - adds a wider variety of (micro)dungeons to the game
    Horizontal Doors - changes doors so that they can be placed as hatches/trap doors
    Persistent Farmables - Makes plants grow while the player is away from them (even if on another planet)
    Spacebound - increases the variety of backgrounds for planets, and makes space that much more colorful
    Starscape and Variety is the Spice of the Universe - Adds more variety in terms of biomes, planets, and star systems
    Platinum Texture Override and Working Switches - provides some minor bug fixes that, respectively, make platinum more distinguishable from silver, and makes tiered levers actually work

6. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Maybe it would have been a better choice to not choose an example of a mod being added by the mod dev to the game that was a horrible implementation.

On topic, I think that the Persistent Farmables and XS Mechs would both be fantastic additions to the game.

7. coldReactive

coldReactive Scruffy Nerf-Herder

lol, JAVA.

Anything that uses Mono on Linux is just as bad.

8. tails230

tails230 Phantasmal Quasar

While Mods are good to have in the vanilla Starbound, I have a few things that should be in the next version.
    will you add the feature to be able to Delete Player Data?

And after looking in some folders of the human race, I found images that are a prologue of the Human race! Will you have those show anywhere?

9. Chronopolice

Chronopolice Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Light Drones (I need lots of light for spelunking!), Madtulip's Spaceship Mod, Electric Home Defense, Persistent Farmables, Starfoundry and the Starbound Colonies Mod.

10. Revenile

Revenile Phantasmal Quasar

(Fully Customizable Ships) http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/fully-customizable-ship.39/

(Kemono Race) http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/kemono-race-mod.1010/ with the enlarged tails from http://www.mediafire.com/download/68blafp4r16pwnt/KemonoRaceMod.rar (and hopefully unique lore, like what I modded in and didn't release)
    and my last vote goes to

(Spacebound) http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/spacebound.1220/

Also I can't help but chuckle at the votes for Novakids+, not because it shoudn't be incorperated, but because the Novakids are already confirmed to be in the game later xD, just makes me chuckle a bit.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  11. badboy_zay

badboy_zay Void-Bound Voyager

- Starface
    I love the vanilla faces texture and its art style, but Starface got some great ideas like adding Floran fangs, removed Hylolt nostrils, Glitch wider eye-visor and Apex sunken cheeks, which made the races more resemble to their concept art, and look better than vanilla texture in a way. instead of include this in the game, I think Chucklefish should edit/improve the vanilla races texture to more closely to their concept art, but still keep the vanilla's visual art (keep the 1 pixel eye and such,...)
    oh, and I noticed that female Apex in Char creator beta don't have the yellow brow pixel in the middle of their eyes, I think they look better that way and more feminine. that's all :)
    - Glitchfix
    I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the vanilla Glitch's neck looks really weird.
    - New biome music
    Starbound has great music, but it does get too repeatable sometimes. there are ton of unused music in the game and Chucklefish should make use of it
    - Rise of the Hylotl
    WE WANT HYLOTL DUNGEON !!!!
    - Bed tier modifier
    this should have been ingame

and sorry for my bad engrish :p

Roequ likes this.
  12. Phobosares

Phobosares Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nothing too altering in terms of the general direction of game's development.. I mean; the XS Corporation mech mod would be a nice one.

13. Mitchum

Mitchum Big Damn Hero

I want the Okea mod. I want furniture I can just buy that doesn't involve me stealing and reverse engineering someones couch like an underachieving mad scientist super-villain... Unless you add quests for some intergalactic evil league of evil for stealing peoples hand made ethnic furniture so that it can be scanned, copyrighted, and the blueprints sold on the space internet. That would be cool.

14. MrStrangerPL

MrStrangerPL Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah... Some kind of scanner would be nice. Not just stealing every shit you want. Scan it with some portable device, add it to database, and idk. Print it? Make it?

Also a foopyn chainsaw would be nice. You know? Not to stay whole day chop trees with your damn stone axe? You've got drill and rocket launcher. You're flying a space ship. And still you chopping trees down with a STONE axe.

15. Emerald Orbit

Emerald Orbit Scruffy Nerf-Herder

16. Overlord64

Overlord64 Master Chief

17. h4int

h4int Void-Bound Voyager

Lightdrones - they're perfect.

Better Bandages Beds & Drills - specifically just some kind of better healing towards end-game.

Tiered Matter Manipulators - I put the matter manipulator in a locker and never take it back out once I get a stone pickaxe, if playing vanilla.

Original Idea - It'd be awesome if we were able to sell the fantastic amount of useless loot we end up with towards the end game. It's not a mod, but it should be, if not part of the game.
    I always cringe a bit when I put 15 weapons in the trash hole after raking a planet. And sometimes I feel like trying to dodge the cell materia and monster plate drops just to keep them out of my inventory.

18. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Scruffy Nerf-Herder

antimonster
    colorbound
    MORE HAIRS ;A;
    better bandages/beds

More Multiplayer-server compatibility would be great. [am i the only one who cannot connect to any server right now?]
    And unrelated, tutorials on making modded servers?

19. distaction

distaction Aquatic Astronaut

Tiered matter manipulators and most of the "Variety is the spice of the universe" mod.
    Better bandages and beds
    Industrialization--but perhaps a bit less kind, with steeper costs to make the equipment
    Survivalist

20. Kriminal

Kriminal Big Damn Hero

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I seem to remember them saying they aren't going to officially add more races beyond Novakid as planned. I'd have nothing against more official races but I wouldn't count on it.

Something like persistent farmables is what we need.

Nazja and Claith like this.