1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated Starscape: Biomes, Planets, Sectors, and Stars 1.2.1

Explore the wonders of the cosmos with these new biomes, planets, sectors, and stars!

1. Ganondude
    Starscape adds a wide variety of additional content to make your journey through the stars all the more exciting!

New biomes, as wondrous as they are dangerous!
    New planets, from the smallest satellite to the largest gas giant!
    New sectors that will test your mettle!
    New stars to watch fly by as you jump into FTL!

Want to use this mod with Variety is the Spice of the Universe? Scroll down to the installation section to find out how!

Caution! Using this mod may make previously visited planets inaccessible, scroll down to the precaution section for more information.

Features

These new biomes offer more to explore! The current biomes are not entirely new, and actually exist in vanilla Starbound, but will only generate with the help of a mod.

Ocean - Deep, dark blue, found from Epsilon Sector on.
    Arctic - Freezing waters, found from Theta Sector on.

Planets and moons in this mod come in a wide range of sizes!

Tiny (1024 x 1536)
    Very Small (2048 x 2048)
    Small (4096,3072)

Medium (6144x4096)
    Large (8192 x 6144)
    Very Large (10240 x 6144)

Huge (16384 x 8192)

New sectors to explore, each more difficult than the last!

Epsilon Sector
    Threat Level: 5
    Unlocked after using the Durasteel Tech Upgrade.​

Zeta Sector
    Threat Level: 6
    Unlocked after using the Aegisalt Tech Upgrade.​

Eta Sector
    Threat Level: 7
    Unlocked after using the Ferozium Tech Upgrade.​

Theta Sector
    Threat Level: 8
    Unlocked after using the Cerulium Tech Upgrade.​

Iota Sector
    Threat Level: 9
    Unlocked after using the Violium Tech Upgrade.​

Kappa Sector
    Threat Level: 10
    Unlocked after using the Rubium Tech Upgrade.​

Sector X (PvP Enabled)
    Threat Level: 3-6
    Unlocked after using the Starmap Upgrade X, craftable at a Robotic Assembly Table after using the Durasteel Tech Upgrade.​

Sector Y (PvP Enabled)
    Threat Level: 7-10
    Unlocked after using the Starmap Upgrade Y, craftable at a Robotic Assembly Table after using the Cerulium Tech Upgrade.​

startypes.png

The type of biome capable of generating on any given planet is dependent on that planet's temperature, as determined by its distance from the sun. Different types of stars have different temperature ranges. For example, a "volcanic" biome is likely to be found closer to a star, particularly a hot star like a Blue Giant, but a "snow" biome is more likely to be found farther away from a star, or closer to a cooler star, like a Brown Dwarf.

Dwarf Stars are small, common stars that support a wide range of biomes from hot to cold.
    Variants: Brown Dwarf, Red Dwarf, Orange Dwarf, Yellow Dwarf, Light Yellow Dwarf, Light Blue Dwarf, Blue Dwarf

Giant Stars are large, hot stars. Cold biomes can only be found on the farthest edges of their orbits.
    Variants: Red Giant, Orange Giant, Yellow Giant, Light Yellow Giant, Light Blue Giant, Blue Giant

Supergiants are very large, and very hot. Even at extreme distances, the planets orbiting these stars are hot or mild.
    Variants: Red Supergiant, Yellow Supergiant, Blue Supergiant

Neutron Stars are extremely small, but extremely hot. They are also quite rare.

Black holes are rare, and difficult to find. It is possible, though unlikely, to find frozen planets orbiting their farthest reaches.

Many Dwarf and Giant stars can be found in Binary (two-star) or even Trinary (three-star) systems.

Fuel
    Fuel costs have been reduced by half to encourage exploration. This means a trip between planets in the same system only costs 25 fuel, and a trip between planets in different systems, or in different sectors, only costs 100 fuel.​

Installation

Basic Installation:
    Simply download the .zip file and extract the "Starscape" folder to your Starbound mod directory.
    ex. /steamapps/common/Starbound/mods

Installing with Variety is the Spice of the Universe:
    1. Download and install Variety is the Spice of the Universe.
    2. Download and install Starscape.
    3. Download the patch.
    4. Extract patch files into mod directory, merging with existing files. Replace all files when prompted.

Mod Compatibility:
    Unless using the above patch, this mod is unlikely to be entirely compatible with any mod that alters the celestial.config or planetgen.config files. There may also be issues if other mods add more than a total of 2 sectors.

Precautions

Using this mod will make previously visited planets inaccessible, and may overwrite them. Backing up your universe folder before playing is strongly advised. There is also an issue when using characters that were created before installing Starscape.

To backup your universe folder:
    1. Locate the universe folder in your Starbound directory.
    ex. /steamapps/common/Starbound/universe
    2. Copy this folder to a location outside of the Starbound directory (for example, into your Documents folder).
    If you decide to stop playing with this mod you can then replace your original universe folder into your Starbound directory.

If using an existing character:
    These steps only need to be followed if using a character created before installing Starscape; creating a new character does not require any files to be deleted.
    1. Locate the universe folder in your Starbound directory.
    ex. /steamapps/common/Starbound/universe
    2. (Optional) Backup your universe folder.
    3. Delete the universe folder.

Note that if you know the name of the file associated with your character you only have to delete the clientcontext file (located in the universe folder) with the same name, instead of the whole universe folder.

Contact

If you have any suggestions for improvement, feel free to post on the discussion page!
    If you have any compatibility questions or bugs to report, send me a message!
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.
    Farliss, Slimy, daleksax and 12 others like this.

Recent Reviews

1. SadistMarx
    SadistMarx
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2.1
    great mod in general. i used it on it's own but I wanted to use VitSotU with it, and the newest patch link currently 404's, which makes me sad :(.
  2. Alex Great
    Alex Great
    5/5,
    Cool mod
  3. vengel000
    vengel000
    3/5,
    I want to use the mod, but i use Variety Is The Spice Of Universe, when i open the link to the compatiblity patch it says : "Error (400)
    Something went wrong. Don't worry, your files are still safe and the Dropboxers have been notified. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home." Please help me when i use the mod i will rate what deserves !!!!! (sorry for my bad english, im brazilian) :D
  4. Haloguy
    Haloguy
    5/5,
    amazing mod just love how much it adds to the universe.
  5. TheSlipperyShark
    TheSlipperyShark
    5/5,
    5/5 great mod, but how do the new sectors work? they dont apear on nav even when it says its unlocked.
  6. Arkfall
    Arkfall
    5/5,
    Great mod, love the arctic planets, but does this mod prohibit the character from swimming down?
  7. El_Bona
    El_Bona
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2.0
    Why when i used the durasteel upgrade, the game crash and exit? i didn't unlock the x sector yet -_-
  8. Licflagg
    Licflagg
    5/5,
    I absolutely Love this. this makes traversing the "infinite universe" much diverse and fun!
  9. Dozer
    Dozer
    5/5,
    Great mod! Keep working))
  10. FireAndDice
    FireAndDice
    4/5,
    Version: 1.1.0
    It's nice, TBH (Especially the reduced fuel usage), but the rarity of binary stars is mildly disappointing. I was honestly expecting them to be much more common. Otherwise, great mod.