1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion [DEPRECATED] StarDanksCMS

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by danks_, Dec 26, 2013.

1. danks_

danks_ Existential Complex

>looks like a cutenews skin
    Seriously, a cute news skin?... Get out.

As I stated on the small credits, most of the work for the registration goes to Meuhmeuh, he was the one to write the class, I merely changed the class to allow all 3 types of banning (Account, Character & IP). You can see the original class here

Today will be a complicated day, so I doubt I'll make any progress on the website today. I'll try to add a nice logo/banner image that can be easily replaced by yours. I'd also add the .PSD for those interested.
    Reading throught the feedbacks I've come to the realisation that the Key system I added for the whitelist makes no sense whatsoever now that I am running on MySQL, thanks a lot to Brockway for pointing that out, I already have a good idea on how to make a better one.
    A way to turn on/off website features of the website, it seems like someone didn't want to have the Visited Systems showing on their website and commented out the lines, I could probably add an option to the Admin Panel that would allow the administrator to disable certain features, you wouldn't need to edit any php to stop them from showing.

Uploading a hotfix for this, I'm sorry, missed that line.
    New download located here: http://dan-ks.com/Stools/StarDanksCMS.rar
    Should be working now, please let me know. You just have to overwrite the install.php Bacon

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Bacon likes this.
  2. Fenrirthviti

Fenrirthviti Tentacle Wrangler

Everything seems to be running, but the site can't make updates to the database. Reinstalled everything on my server 3 times, same issue. Ran the install.php, it can create the database itself (so I know user/pw is good), but writing to any of the tables fails every time. Did a manual installation per the sql query in the spoiler in the first post, manual import successful, all tables created and data populated. The CMS still cannot write to the tables, users cannot register, and I cannot update any settings in the admin panel. No errors being displayed on the page. Manual edits to the database work fine (added myself as an admin account, replacing the default).

Here's the error on registration attempt. Verified the accesscontrol.config updated, database did not.
    Code:
    Your account has been succesfully added to the whitelist, but not to the website database, please contact an administrator about this. Please take in mind that you will only be able to login to the server with your password in a few hours once the server is restarted. Until the server is restarted, please keep using the password given to you previously.
    Any ideas on things I should check?

edit: Added error message on attempt to register accounts

3. danks_

Are you using a different MySQL user? For instance, if you created a user that's not ROOT, he might have permissions to create databases but not to then modify said databases.
    That's pretty weird, I'll send you a PM tomorrow when I have time so I can take a look, I'll probably send you a .php file to test connections and such.

Hope you can hang there for a bit!

4. Fenrirthviti

Sounds good, and I've tested both the root and a user I set up to manage the database (not my first time dealing with SQL, so I'm confident in my setup). I can make all the changes manually with both users through phpMyAdmin, just for whatever reason the CMS can't update tables.

5. danks_

What PHP and MySQL versions do you have? Just so I know beforehand

6. Fenrirthviti

Installed AppServ per the OP, so:
    • Apache 2.2.8
    • PHP 5.2.6
    • MySQL 5.0.51b
    • phpMyAdmin-2.10.3

Also, found another bug when viewing the chat log:

Code:
    Warning: require_once(inc/log.class.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\AppServ\www\inc\config.phpon line 38

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'inc/log.class.php' (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') inC:\AppServ\www\inc\config.php on line 38

EDIT: Fixed the above error. You had the include path wrong in config.php. Correct line:

Code:
    require_once('log.class.php'); 
    on line 38 of config.php

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    danks_ likes this.
  7. DankBud

DankBud Void-Bound Voyager

Decent name. lol
    Damn what if i use xamp, o well i'll try it out and see.

8. Fenrirthviti

Had a bit more time to play around. CuteNews is also suffering from the same update issue.

Also, just a few suggestions.

- Menu option to show all currently registered players. You can access this now by going to the "Remove Account" page, but a "View Accounts" page is probably better suited. Allows deletion/edits from there.
    - "Chat Staff" is a bit ambiguous. Does this provide any benefit other than a tag on the website?
    - No link to the CuteNews management backend. Default post appears to intend for a link to be present, but there is none. Had to browse there manually.
    - Quick links should be editable, and not collapsible. Starting collapsed (even with the + sign to indicate it can be opened) tends to discourage interaction with it. Most will just gloss over it as it appears there is nothing there.

Overall, neat system. Very simple and clean, I like it a lot. If I can get the database write issues sorted out, I see myself using this :)

danks_ likes this.
  9. danks_

Thanks a lot for the feedback, very helpful and insightful.
    1. Yes, I have yet to make a edit option for the accounts, that would also mean editing the accounts in the accesscontrol.config file, can be done. No biggie.
    2. No, mostly because there's no staff in the server itself, once there is a way to have "Administrator commands" in the game, I'll make sure Chat Staff also becomes "Game Staff"
    3. CuteNews suck, I'll be changing that system, can't say when but I will. I can't stand it, and now that the website is MySQL, there's no actual need to have a news system that's flatfile based, no worries.
    4. Yes, Quick news should be easily editable. Currently, the file you want to edit is inc/menu.php, I'm also looking for a way to turn features on/off directly from the Admin Panel, given that there's people that don't want users to see the visited systems.

Now that I see that's more than one person having troubles with the database issues I'll have to double check again and fix this on the next update. Again, thanks a lot for the feedback, it's really helpful.

10. danks_

XAMPP will brake the website, I don't why, but I also don't like XAMPP becasue the GUI takes extra RAM, and it's actually useless since you can install Apache and MySQL as a service, AppServ gives you a shortcut to turn both on or off, that's all you need. I have yet to met someone that uses the FTP, Tomcat or Strawberry Perl Portable features. And all those extra features XAMPP has only take space and/or memory, why would you even need Sablotron or Mercury Mail Server? Even if you needed a mail server, there are better options out there.

Like I said in the first post, if you are really into it, you may edit the website to make it work, but I won't give you support for it.

11. Brockway

Brockway Pangalactic Porcupine

Hi again there, main problem of you CMS is, it's not compatible i guess with wrapper, proxy and stuff that run servers and allow extra features...

Maybe by working a little with them you will get compatibility with some tools on the market right now ?

12. Underbalanced

Underbalanced Phantasmal Quasar

You can choose what XAMPP features to use. What server are you running that XAMPP is taking to much resources?

13. danks_

I'm well aware of that, but XAMPP with Apache, PHP and MySQL takes more resources than AppServ with the same features. I'm just resource manager freaky like that.
    Plus, XAMPP has always given me trouble with website functions, whether I made the website or someone else did.

14. Fenrirthviti

I'm using ISSMConsole with my server and this CMS works just fine, what issues are you running into? You'll need to be more specific!

supernet2 likes this.
  15. FuzzyThor

FuzzyThor Existential Complex

I was following the steps as you showed but for some reason it would not setup the structures. So i imported the structures file with phpmyadmin but was still getting an error. So i tried to start from scratch by uninstalling appserv and everything and reinstalling.

When it came time to input the db name and my user name i got this error

Code:
    Database config file created successfully.

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'My username'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\AppServ\www\install.php on line 194
    Could not connect: Access denied for user 'My username'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    What can i do to correct this issue.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  16. danks_

Yeah I know about this error, I just got home and will start working on it right away, I made a little mistake on the last update.

Just wait for a bit, I'll get this issue solved today. Thanks for the feedback.

17. danks_

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll tell you whats the main problem with what you are asking for.
    There are a lot of different wrappers, that would mean that I would have not only to create php classes to read every different kind of log created by the wrappers and I'd also have to make a step on it on the install. Making the install is pretty easy, but are you seriously excepting me to go through everyone's wrapper?
    I created this website using a vanilla server and it's originally intended to be run on vanilla servers. Am sorry if this comes out as rough, but my website not being compatible with wrappers is not a problem. And if it were, it'd be your problem.
    After all, we are also expecting developers to one day, maybe, release a better version of the starbound_server.

As for the installation problem, I have fixed it, everything should be working now. But before I upload it, I'll work out the Register Key function and I'll try to add another few couple features.

supernet2 likes this.
  18. bkg

bkg Subatomic Cosmonaut

I can approve your website work great with the proxys on the marked. Bequse your website read the main Server log and thats enoth. For what it do.

Thx again.

supernet2 and danks_ like this.
  19. danks_

Update 1.3 is now in place.

Changelog 1.3
    +Fixed install.php mysql problem
    +New Key Registry System
    +New way to enable and disable the Key Registry System
    +Enable and disable the Visited Systems from the homepage
    +Chat should be working now
    +Easy to edit Quick Links (html/menu.html)

Next update will have a header with logo for sure.

GaijinSama likes this.
  20. GaijinSama

GaijinSama Aquatic Astronaut

This installs beautifully. Able to run a vanilla server with no issues.

Except... if I move my "test install" out of the Steam folder, I can no longer start or stop the server in-webpage.
    I see in www\adminc\manage.php a var $starbound_path that seems to be set while choosing OS during install,
    can we edit manually without breaking other things? Where is this stored/set?

Other than my silly non-standard directory, works a dream. Thank you!