1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial Starbound Server Management Console Release

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Icer, Dec 16, 2013.

1. supernet2

supernet2 Existential Complex

Tested auto restart function. Confirmed working on win7 32/64bit. Confirmed working on Windows 2008 RC2. Tested server restart on fatal error, tested working only for the two most common fatal flaws the memory issue, and the universe erroring up. Ones that crash server, rest of input inboxed to developer*

2. Mortalsinn

Mortalsinn Zero Gravity Genie

I can concur except I do get fatal Java errors, not in the console though....I'll remote desktop on to my server to find "this program has stopped working" in regards to the Java...I have the latest versions installed so I'm not sure what's going on there.

3. Kaillera

Kaillera Big Damn Hero

disable windows error reporting, that or find out of java is "not responding".

4. Mortalsinn

Mortalsinn Zero Gravity Genie

any tips about how to find out why Java stops responding in the first place? Im on Windows server 2012

5. supernet2

Running some tests now with different features enabled some disabled. When I get home I'll be able to confirm what's going on.

6. Valikus

Valikus Poptop Tamer

So I've tried having someone view the WEB gui from their computer.
    i've put in their public IP as admin in issmconsoleplayerlist.

when they connect to it, nothing opens up for them ( they are using chrome - oops, webpage does not exist).

When I try to connect to it using
    http://76.24.120.197:21005/
    I can't open it.

Only when it's loopback, will it open on webgui.

I don't have to restart server do i?

sorry if this has already been asked!

7. supernet2

My tests prove it works. Uh... well you gotta input something like this. Heres a example to do it from a remote address..
    Copy and paste whats quoted for the ISSMConsolePlayerList.xml

Add in new server admin ip where red is. Also be sure to give them the password, only one password seems possible and its used by ALL admins.

Suggestion: Put in a restart server icon in the webgui as a extra feature, just incase before automated restart happens the server fails to catch something with the safety net so a admin can remotely restart it with out actually needing direct access to host machine to restart the server process. Just shutdown alone only is useful for say the person at the actual remote system. (ex myself). I have admins who watch over my server, and i prefer to not use remote programs or opening up a separate port with another application running that automates restart when a command is sent with the correct password.

8. shibdib

shibdib Starship Captain

Auto restart is niceish.. I'll keep using my batch file tho as it allows me to have consistent times that it restarts.

9. Valikus

Valikus Poptop Tamer

So... why does this work:
    http://127.0.0.1:21005/

But not this:
    http://public ip here:21005/

10. supernet2

Suggestion: Put in restart server icon, just shutdown alone only is useful for say the person at the actual remote system. (ex myself). I have admins who watch over my server, and i prefer to not use remote programs or opening up a seperate port with another application running that automates restart when a command is sent with the correct password.
    Also the 127.0.0.1 works because your using the host machine thats hosting server (right?) That means it will always work because its apart of the .XML as a admin IP. Also only way otherwise for it to fail is if you have a bad NiC or network interface card. If thats the case you shouldn't be able to browse the net on that pc.

A few reasons I'd check up on this.

Whatsmyip.org should help tell you your global IP.

If your device is like mine login and look at the device assigned IP from hub.

As for port forwarding you need to open up the port. Ex: global IP:20005

If port forwarding works but you cannot use webgui remotely powercycle your modem/DSL/FiOS unit. If you still cannot connect to webgui chances are your ISP is packet shaping/blocking ports. If you really wanna know call your ISP to confirm this

In my case I use 7 separate ports for the webgui on multiple server instances on 7 separate IPS and machines. Only one fails to correctly update the webgui online via any web browser (probably need To apply a registry fix on my end or bad java install on problem pc).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  11. Valikus

Valikus Poptop Tamer

Wait.. so not only do I have to forward the port 21024 for the game.. I have to forward the port 21005? which is the port that the webgui ueses?
    Makes sense I guess..

12. djm

djm Intergalactic Tourist

Slight, slight problem:
    I have no idea why it does this, I had it on automatic restart every 10 hours, and it does indeed restart the server, but then it shuts down immediately for some reason.

I'm running latest java, headless on 64x ubuntu 12.04.

13. Icer

Icer Tentacle Wrangler

Finally got around to tearing apart packets. I have now reverse engineered several different types, and with this in mind, I release the latest version.

Download
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B5a6CpXW311jMTBVcFJfcTBPY3M

v0.43
    930AM EST 12/30/2013

• Packet Injection
      • Global system messages
        • Server restart broadcast countdown
      • Message Of The Day
        • Set it by editing the ISSMConsole.properties file and setting "MESSAGE_OF_THE_DAY={Whatever_you_want_to_say}"
      • Custom messages sent when a client is denied access
        • Not on white-list
        • Banned temporarily
        • Banned permanently
    • Restart on fatal error
      • Added 4 more errors to the restart list
    • More bug fixes
      • Multiple worlds should no longer appear

supernet2 and Valikus like this.
  14. Icer

Icer Tentacle Wrangler

Yes, you need to port forward whatever port you choose to access the GUI from, otherwise your client will never get the request, just like starbound. I will make sure I mention that on the front page.

15. Valikus

Valikus Poptop Tamer

That's great. I have yet to get around to this.
    Wow.. the latest update looks fantastic. I love interaction with the community ( MOTD).
    I will need to try the auto restart and stuff when I get back home from work.

16. combatmedic02

combatmedic02 Void-Bound Voyager

Awesome update but I don't see the motd in-game? Does it show up on login or just startup or something? Also what are the rules to it? It's currently:
    Code:
    MESSAGE_OF_THE_DAY=MOTD\: Welcome! Join the community: outbreakgaming.co.uk\!
    Would that work? Or is it too long or something?

17. Valikus

Valikus Poptop Tamer

uh.. is that first "\" supposed to be there? before the "colon" ( : )?

just doesnt loook like this:
    • Message Of The Day
      • Set it by editing the ISSMConsole.properties file and setting "MESSAGE_OF_THE_DAY={Whatever_you_want_to_say}"

18. combatmedic02

It was there on the example so i'm not sure. :p

Hence why I was asking if there is any particular format it needs to be in.

19. Icer

Icer Tentacle Wrangler

Certain characters get escaped by java, but that shouldn't effect anything.

This error appears to be due to the length. I'm working it right now.

20. combatmedic02

Many thanks Icer, you're work here is very much appreciated. Just having basic administration commands is a godsend. If you ever put a paypal donation button up, at the very least I will buy you a drink. :)

Also, would like to report a bug I've noticed. IPs on the player menu tend to duplicate for multiple players on the list after a while. Can sometimes be fixed by refreshing the wrapper.

Windows Server 2008 R2

ipsdup.png