1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial Starbound Server Management Console Release

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Icer, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Valikus

Valikus Poptop Tamer

Thanks for that explanation.. I now see why! =)

supernet2 likes this.
  2. supernet2

supernet2 Existential Complex

Icer this console works on win7 32/64bit, windows 7 home premium 32/64bit, windows vista home premium 32/64bit, on windows 2008 RC2, at least in my testing. The same issues crop up on local login (127.0.0.1) or a static login on same LAN (in my case 192.168.1.87) only Chat log, and console does not update, outside of that it does updates on a non-local server machine, long as its not on same network, on a separate/remote network to connect. Password requirement doesn't function still for all versions on web gui, unless theirs something im missing in it should auto pop up a prompt/require a login to gain access. It seems only port restriction works. I may need to build a script of my own to randomize a port range, or something that can randomize the ports per 24hours so i can issue my admins a login alongside updating the port automatically in the script.

Web Browsers tested on listed os's is as follows;
    Opera most recent build
    Google chrome most recent build
    Firefox most recent build
    Internet Explorer 9
    Internet Explorer 11

Tested on most recent java update from java website.

Also adding in forced or automated rebooting based on critical errors would work. I believe someones already giving you data on that behind the scenes. So im not posting it here unless you ask.

As for the rest this works fine on what i've listed so far.

Once you also build in UUID banning and take some ideas from starrybound and a few other source codes from others consoles, you'll beable to further perfect yours to be the #1 console to optimize. The problem? i know your doing this for hobby, but either way your vigilance in working on it is amazing. Especially since your doing it for free. I'd love to setup a donation section or use a paypal donation link to give you donations and list it on my post or thread for people who'd like to help support you in "development" costs, since you do do it out of personal time and for hobby. :D

Edit: Also i do realize you need to use admin commands from client side ingame and the defined admin passwords, otherwise the commands listed do work on my end from local and remote testing

3. Icer

Icer Tentacle Wrangler

Download
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B5a6CpXW311jRHF6NExrS3pvS0U

v0.42
    1000PM EST 12/27/2013

• Added timed server restarts
      • Disabled by default
      • Set it by editing the ISMConsole.properties file and setting "MINUTES_BEFORE_SERVER_RESTART={minutesBetweenRestarts}"
    • Added error HTML for incompatible browsers
    • Set the default display url from localhost to 127.0.0.1 for people who didn't have localhost in their hosts file
    • Added admin for ipv6 localhost as well
    • Removed Web UI bug that could cause users to not get any server data
    • More bug fixes

4. Icer

Icer Tentacle Wrangler

That is addressed in the latest patch. I had hardcoded the IPv4 local address as an admin, but not IPv6. That oversight has been fixed now, thank you for the bug report.

5. supernet2

Do my eyes deceive me or do i see a new function for handling errors and forcing a reboot apon error! Oh my god, disabling automated reboot to see how it handles. If this goes well i think my server will truly be 24/7 and when it goes down its simply because of them server crippling errors.

As for another feature request, perhaps add in the same reload admins list section, as well as reload the configurations (to keep it updating the wrapper with new inputted information) instead of completely needing to shut down the wrapper, and reload it to update the current ip list. Some sort of reloader that reloads all of em perhaps as a safety check even if you only updated one file (the .properties file) and also the .xml file

My error with LAN/Local login seems to percist... it maybe on my end, ill post my findings later.

As for the rest of the features, they function perfectly. I spot no issues on my end outside of a issue created possibly on my end.

6. Icer

Icer Tentacle Wrangler

Just run it in headless mode. There are no popups or GUI elements at all as headless.

java -jar /path/to/ISSMConsole.jar -headless

7. Icer

Icer Tentacle Wrangler

Ask and ye shall receive ;)

supernet2 likes this.
  8. Kaillera

Kaillera Big Damn Hero

Icer may I ask what critical errors are being restarted on?

These are the only 4 that I have issue with:

MapException: Key '[NumberHereOnly]'
    BiomeException
    readFromCurrentLeaf
    Error: TcpServer will close, listener thread caught exception - This was the one that's been shutting down the log in server. It's generically before BiomeException. I never seen MapException ever again since I have my server checker checking all 4 of these, so I'm assuming it happens sometimes after the latter 3.

9. Icer

Icer Tentacle Wrangler

Lists are great. I'm currently scouring the error forums for the complete line messages so I can not trigger a restart on a false positive.

If anyone wants to contribute any, I'd be glad to plug them in. Adding a server restart on a fatal error is the next project.

10. Kaillera

Kaillera Big Damn Hero

Those are literally the only 4 Icer. My server's been rebooting properly for the last 4 days. I hope you're not blocking on std:bad_alloc though, because those can be false positives.

11. supernet2

Inboxed you details, 3 new errors that i do not have logs to, but it is new and i dont think anyone knows details of it yet.

As for the rest, i listed logs and what not via inbox. Hope it helps, some of them i see no console has implemented a fix for yet, not even starrybound. :D

12. Mortalsinn

Mortalsinn Zero Gravity Genie

This is just...amazing. Thank you for adding my server restart request. You should really post up your paypal email so we can donate.

Would it be tough to add a MOTD so we can advertise our websites when users log on? (keep in mind the 45 character limit)

supernet2 likes this.
  13. Kaillera

Kaillera Big Damn Hero

The new version works on Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows 8.1. It needs a different browser other than IE though. I'm wondering if that was the issue the entire time before.

14. supernet2

No reason to use a timed restart if the server crashing/crippling errors literally redflag a automated server restart. Hell that basically eliminates any need to truly reboot the system.

I see 0 memory leaks with his console, everything that errors up outside of this is related to the way starbound_server.exe is built, and the errors created by the devs. Its just cool someone is making so many safety nets to help server hosts/owners out. Especially when we just wanna run a system for the fun of it, or for the community.

15. supernet2

IE? I seen that to, the recent IE Build, still works with IE 9. Not sure on the java version, i think i updated all of them to the most recent java builds for the os's.

16. Kaillera

Kaillera Big Damn Hero

I still freaking love you for sparking the idea.

supernet2 likes this.
  17. supernet2

I've been looking at alot of the consoles, actually all of them. His console is the most robust and stable, yet simplistic system to use. 90% of the issues encountered are user side, not knowing how to do something, or what not, but if you read up on all of his posts, and his past time commentary you'd see that alot of the issues are easily solved if you browse his original posts made.

Im pretty sure the console runs on linux but... i hate linux, i blame my not using it for 6years.
    as for the ideas, i just analyzed alot of the content. Looking at starrybounds page alot of their networking research really pays off. Was looking at reverse engineering trial code their running thats not even implemented or made public on their server. Noticed theirs a few holes in their methods of blocking but unless you truly know how to hack, and break through security the average joe smoe even with proxies will not break through. I would do DDoS testing to do a server integrity check, and see how much resources and spam their system can handle but... then again thats illegal. It would more so be a stress test against their networks security measures implemented to handle massive false IP/proxy, and data flooding. Outside of that their probably the #1 in console development, then again they have also collaborated and pulled together alot of information compiled from everyone all over the net, and their own findings.

I'd say his console right now is #2, once plugins begin to be implemented, i see this console being the #1 solid server wrapper solution, hell even chucklefish may adopt it or take it apart and use it in their finalized starbound_server.exe builds (i highly doubt it as they wanna do it themselves) so i can see alot of reworking of the code and making it a built in feature or not even touching it at all to let other devs work on it while they focus on the game in more critical aspects.

Its just exciting to see someone who does something out of hobby crush the competition and rapidly make their system #1. A fan of homebrew and those who take the time and effort to build a system for all, like android did to enable open source and massive overhauls for those who are technically savoy.

Edit: Confirmed log correctly updates. Something is broken on my end with whatever the server uses. Something with how it pulls data.

Any suggestions? I was thinking completely wiping and uninstalling all java modules, and updates, and reinstalling everything ground up. Would hope to avoid this but... yeah..

As for the lan/local issue, its resolved.

On LAN/Local Host it is confirmed to work so long as your .xml file is properly configured to allow the static ip/remote ip to be a admin.

Confirmed; .xml and .properties file updates almost near immediately apon new changes saved in same directory as where ISSMconsole.jar is. No reason to add in that reload button, it must automatically check i take it.

Suggestions;

Implement 2 new flags in .properties.. ill inbox message you shortly... its something i haven't seen other consoles use yet.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  18. Mortalsinn

Mortalsinn Zero Gravity Genie

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before but with this latest version what file do I edit to add the Admin IP's, white lists etc...? all I have is the Jar file and the properties file. Didn't there used to be a couple more files in the older versions?

19. Kaillera

Kaillera Big Damn Hero

just those 3.

20. supernet2

I think when you start the program it generates a .properties file and a .xml file, it did for me, it should also update any prior builds .xml and .properties with the new data with out deleting data entered into it.

Suggestion: Put in a restart server icon in the webgui as a extra feature, just incase before automated restart happens the server fails to catch something with the safety net so a admin can remotely restart it with out actually needing direct access to host machine to restart the server process. Just shutdown alone only is useful for say the person at the actual remote system. (ex myself). I have admins who watch over my server, and i prefer to not use remote programs or opening up a separate port with another application running that automates restart when a command is sent with the correct password.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013