1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound preview at Insomnia Gaming Festival

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by popbot, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Mad Dok Edvaardz

Mad Dok Edvaardz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I mean the devs, not this festival thingy.
    Also, "deserve" was a bad turn of phrase, I meant it that we should at-least be told in a tweet or something, as we sorta helped the devs out a lot. Pre-order and such.
    Sorry for any inconvenience. :proper:

popbot likes this.
  2. Jexel

Jexel Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe they will release Starbound at the event! They can probably do a lot of game development in the time leading up to the festival.

3. enthusedpanda

enthusedpanda Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, I'm kind of seeing and feeling this sentiment more and more.

Gentlemanly Shark likes this.
  4. Mad Dok Edvaardz

I just don't like the way it's left up to us to find out stuff like this.
    I don't want to be the thread moaner, I'm just sayin'.
    I know that they're probably hard at work and forgot or something, but even a tweet saying "Starbound at Insomnia Gaming Festival" would appease me.

5. greenskye

greenskye Pangalactic Porcupine

But be told what exactly? That they're attending a festival? That they're going to show off the game at said festival? Because they did tweet that. I'm uncertain if you're asking for some sort of pre-tweet tweet tweeting about impending tweet... Seems silly.

Menasor and Ishiga-san like this.
  6. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

I remember once that Tiy said beta would be given to those most dedicated or loyal to the game.... O how things have changed.

7. greenskye

Oooook. So you must not have seen this: https://twitter.com/StarboundGame/status/341986935427964928

Which is why I assume this thread was created. In fact I saw that tweet and immediately came here and there was already a thread about it. I assumed everyone here had seen the tweet about it.

8. popbot

popbot Subatomic Cosmonaut

I wouldn't begrudge them the chance to make their game more successful by showing it off if given the chance. I also wouldn't want to be the one who decides who is most dedicated or loyal enough to get the beta first lol. That is a recipe for some serious fan rage.

To be clear, I am not disappointed in any way by this announcement (not in the devs at least). I think it's an awesome opportunity.

9. enthusedpanda

enthusedpanda Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe we can surmise full release will be close to ready by this time, and the beta will have been released already? I don't know. 50k~ people getting in on beta is a lot, of course, but imagine the hype and word of mouth the game is still going to get from beta to full release.

O straws, I grasp for thee

popbot likes this.
  10. greenskye

I don't know, I'd think preordering the game sight-unseen with no actual beta release date other than "2013" makes you a pretty loyal fan. I mean you paid $15 or more for access to a game that might not release for months. It certainly seems like a functional definition of "loyal" and "dedicated" to me.

enthusedpanda likes this.
  11. gingerskittles

gingerskittles Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well. Now i'm going to go die in a hole since all my dreams are crushed. (My only dream is starbound being out before school starts up c:)

12. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

The point is though as time goes on I've noticed how things have changed. Some people are given earlier access than all others for no reason other than because they have famous on the internet, in other words promotional reasons. I understand some things need to be done to continue doing what you love, but the fact still remains of what once was the case. What needs to be done is what needs to be done, but you can never say that someone who has done nothing should have more. Its just, "moral" I guess to reward those who have been the most loyal, (throwing money doesn't entitle you to loyalty), rather than those who have done nothing. Its just slightly... sad, I guess? But whatever, they gotta do what they gotta do.
    If you think about it, the only reason they are having a beta like this is because they were seriously running into financial troubles.

Sarpedeon and Gentlemanly Shark like this.
  13. Mad Dok Edvaardz

Sorry, but I do not use any social networking things, and don't go on them. So, my fault, basically.
    Well, that has lowered my esteem...
    Anywho, sorry for any inconvenience my misanthropic personality have caused.
    I'm off to play "Don't Starve" now, so good-bye, sir.
    Again, sorry.

14. This would be another rumour "oh that's not confirmed". BUT....

...The Starbound Official Twitter itself refer it as a "Preview of Starbound" in a festival that goes on in late August, that Preview word by itself means it's something "earlier" than a BETA (if they said we will have a demo, it's completely another thing), still nothing is confirmed. :rolleyes:

15. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

The beta will be out as soon as it's ready. We don't have a time frame beyond 2013 because we're just not sure.

I know some of you are finding the wait tough, but I do feel we were very clear on the 2013 date with the preorder. It appears 4 or 5 times in unmissable spots before purchase.
    We're making sure that the public's first impression of the game is one that the game deserves. We're taking the time to get it right and that will mean a better experience and community for everyone in the end.

If we want to attract the kind of modders and talented people to the game that will help Starbound evolve we need to make sure we show the game is worth their time.
    That will have untold benefits for the community at large.

It will be worth the wait guys

Menasor, Cain3k, Shahab and 21 others like this.
  16. I completely support what you say, as you said it several times before, waiting in this case is a good thing. But anyway any possible little minuscule hint community can find to know when it is coming, is going to be posted. Well we have nothing better to do at this moment since there isn't any specific dates! :p
    That, or the Hype will slowly die.

17. popbot

popbot Subatomic Cosmonaut

That moment why Tiy responds to your thread, and you feel your chest seize up a little.

Of that I have no doubt.

18. Admiral RsenHyi

Admiral RsenHyi Space Spelunker

I do not want to interfere with shit, but I want to note that it was clearly stated that the beta will be shortly after the pre-order. You know 4 months is a long time, especially when the year waiting game, constantly hear "Well now," "here soon," "left quite a bit," and then find out that even a very very long time, long 4 months of waiting. Knowing that someone is going on is not a cheap resort known for the money. What do I want? During the year the game came out absolutely everything that I waited, and I waited for many of the release, and to exit and no delays. I understand that the team is small, perhaps not always professional, but they require rest, so I'll be just as ordered means, but agree that the process of development is very delayed.

Sorry. Google translate.

19. Tiy

I don't mind the speculation :)

I just want to make sure everyone knows we're not holding back a finished game for advertising reasons or anything like that.
    If the game is ready before insomnia, we'll bring it out right away. The exposure will still be great for us. If it's not ready yet, then it makes for a nice preview.

We don't have a schedule other than the game being at the super high quality level we hold ourselves to.

20. Tiy

Where?

Artem, Shalderave, Serenity and 9 others like this.