1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound preview at Insomnia Gaming Festival

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by popbot, Jun 4, 2013.

1. popbot

popbot Subatomic Cosmonaut

x6snake6x, SLOW_oranges and Jonesy like this.
  2. enthusedpanda

enthusedpanda Pangalactic Porcupine

Well I guess it's good we're getting any pertinent information on some kind of release timeframe even though it has to be through a third party. :/

To be fair (and stupidly optimistic) a beta could still release before this, as a preview at a festival is probably far more apt for those not already aware of the game - perhaps it's a full release sort of preview?

Probably not. All my predictions about the beta release are gradually being proven wrong.

Pingeh and Serenity like this.
  3. budsygus

budsygus Pangalactic Porcupine

Didn't you hear? Starbound is confirmed for Septober Fifty-twelfth. For real.
    [​IMG]

Sadron, Eoghanpm2, LordHavoc and 23 others like this.
  4. popbot

Yeah, I said July in the beta-guess thread, but it seems September makes the most sense. Doing a big preview with some famous LP'rs just before *beta release would be a savvy move, and looking at the state of the game a few more months is probably a good call.

*edit

SeaTheEMH likes this.
  5. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Actually, the beta IS before release. Cross fingers.

6. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

It looks like we may or may not have Beta by then... Just a guess...

7. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Sounds interesting looking forward to it.

8. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

Well looking at the event list, it says they're planning on doing a live lets play with some of the yogscast guys. I don't want to be the overly optimistic guy here (okay, maybe a little) but I sort of doubt they'd plan on that if they weren't confident it would be in at least near-release state at that point, potentially damaging to the games reputation as that could be.

Huntrex and popbot like this.
  9. popbot

Yeah I went back and forth, but to me it indicates they will be playing the beta pre general release. It's not really an exclusive preview if 50,000+ people are already playing the beta of the game.

10. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

I really hope beta is released in the summer. Summer is the best time to get it out, since a lot of the gaming community goes to school, and there is no school in summer. Also, a lot more bugs could be found and gotten rid of if the beta is out in summer. I seriously doubt the beta needs to be extremely polished as to be released in fall.

11. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

Everything in journalism is called an exclusive preview, that phrase is pretty much meaningless at this point. :)
    Note: I am not disagreeing with you, just trying to provide a counterpoint. It might mean nothing at all.

nababoo and popbot like this.
  12. popbot

I hope you are right! Feel free to disagree as much as you like, I'd love to be convinced. An exclusive preview of the full game vs beta is my most optimistic hope. Second hope now: the poor use of "exclusive".

Eoghanpm2, Serenity and ZangooseSlash like this.
  13. Mad Dok Edvaardz

Mad Dok Edvaardz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, that seems to have de-railed my hype train a little bit.
    Really hoped the beta would be out by at-least summertime.

14. greenskye

greenskye Pangalactic Porcupine

Dang it. This seems to strongly suggest a much later beta release than I'd been anticipating. Curse those daily updates giving me a false sense of progress!

(Note: please don't remove the daily updates. I need my starbound fix often or else I go into withdrawal :notworthy: )

Menasor, colorbeam, M C and 3 others like this.
  15. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Existential Complex

Am I the only one who isn't surprised at all?

16. Loksoral

Loksoral Void-Bound Voyager

Come on guys, and girls. Just because it's an a 'first-look' doesn't mean the beta won't be out before then. Be sensible, and quit acting like prophets of doom.

We've gone over this before, every time someone mentions an "early look" or somesuch with Starbound, we get another topic like this. Tiy himself posted in a topic like this a few weeks ago, saying "early looks", "previews", and such didn't mean the beta could not come out before then. Also, this is a third-party we're hearing it from.

Take a deep breath, calm down and relax. Until Chucklefish says otherwise, we're safe in assuming late June, early July based on the current work being done. I love this community, but you guys are constantly ":confused:" when you should be ":rainbow:".

17. Mad Dok Edvaardz

Mad Dok Edvaardz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not really, I expected them to pull this trap card out of nowhere.
    But what gets me is that they didn't tell us. Not even a peep.
    You'd think that, as the loving fans we are, we at-least deserve to know when they do these festivals and such.
    Ah yes, but pessimism is the cure for all ills.
    At-least to me, it is. In my view, why be happy and then be disappointed when you can be sad an then happy when you're not disappointed, but surprised?

Ishiga-san and Captain Malcolm like this.
  18. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

Sadly, all this community has really seen is disappointment. Their attitudes will be negative in terms of guessing when the release is.

Ishiga-san and bluechaos27 like this.
  19. popbot

To be fair, I think this is their peep.

Dorsidwarf likes this.
  20. greenskye

greenskye Pangalactic Porcupine

Not sure what you mean by having them tell you. Isn't that what they're doing? The festiival is still a couple of months away. Not sure how they could tell you before they tell you...

Edit: Ninja'd

popbot likes this.