1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound preview at Insomnia Gaming Festival

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by popbot, Jun 4, 2013.

1. enthusedpanda

enthusedpanda Pangalactic Porcupine

Aw, here it goes.

Ketoth and Red Space Monkey like this.
  2. Ferigad

Ferigad The Number of the Minibeast

Well, i guess(only guess!) we can dump the third quarter of the year then for a possible beta. Still, and don´t take it offensive, it seems like there is a timetable. Well let´s wait and see then. Maybe some other sources can tell us more then the forum does as time goes by.

Edit: Gah, don´t post quicker then i can write o_O Well then a Q3 beta could still be possible :iswydt: ! Let´s hope and wait then.

3. popbot

popbot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Awesome! I am sorry if this thread is bringing negativity, I fully support you all taking as long as you need. My disappointment is only in that I will have to wait longer to play what is shaping up to be a very special game. Thanks for being so willing to engage with the community!

4. Exploding Sandvich

Exploding Sandvich Void-Bound Voyager

5. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Ow that looks painful

6. Lusid

Lusid Pangalactic Porcupine

Tiy i am incredibly happy to know that you guys take this game as seriously as you do. But beyond that and making a game of this type, i cannot say i am happy about much else. Sorry, but that's how it is. Getting into the why of that would be a waste of time and have nothing to do with this thread. One thing i'd like to address however is this line:

The public's first impression of the game starts when they first learn of the game, then the entire experience up to and including release of beta or full release are included in that. The long quiet wait being included. Now yes, we have the daily updates now which i love, and mash refresh late at night sometimes to see what's going on. But just as that's an awesome thing included in the experience, so is all that happened before it. My point is, the first experience has already begun. I know your decision will not change, it's just that one line being repeated irks me as this is how it really is.

7. Mad Dok Edvaardz

Mad Dok Edvaardz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Firstly, you are a great person for making this game, and I think highly of you. But...
    So, this public festival will increase the amount of people who will buy the game and thus make you guys have a lot more profit to help increase and update the game further?
    I'm not against this at all, but it almost seems like you don't 100% trust the community to "spread the word", shall I say.
    Also, don't you think that sometimes these Internet celebrities aren't always the best way to "get the game out there", so to speak.
    Feel free to rip me apart, community included, but I just worry about these festivals sometimes.
    And with that, I'm not coming back for about 3-6 days, or until the fires cooled.

8. The problem will be, and already is, how the Moderation madness is starting in the forums. With literally daily complains about "Where's the game? Why no Dates?".
    I can't imagine how it's going to be in some months.

Even if I can wait for it, I know many people can't, and they will likely get mad and be raging all around, even if DEVS never promised nothing more than 2013. :notworthy:

Menasor and Captain Malcolm like this.
  9. greenskye

greenskye Pangalactic Porcupine

Ya... this was definitely not the impression I got when preordering. I remember it being stated over and over and over again that beta would be out "when it's ready". I really feel like they did a pretty darn good job of not setting any unrealistic expectations on that front.

10. Tiy

Of course I won't rip you apart, you're entitled to your opinion.

I completely trust the community to spread the word, but everything helps. You can never have too much exposure.
    You also get the chance to reach people who might not be involved in online communities or social media, making them difficult to reach otherwise.

I'm sorry that you're so unhappy, I'm not sure what we've done to warrant that.

We're incredibly open with the community, incredibly reachable. We have always posted updates, though they used to be a month or two apart. We've also got a monthly newsletter, a number of twitter accounts that receive regular updates, a facebook page, a subreddit, live streams, forums of course and now daily updates. Other than giving you the game right now I'm not sure what else I can do to cheer you up.

Menasor, Flemm, Shippo and 15 others like this.
  11. Mad Dok Edvaardz

Mad Dok Edvaardz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sorry.
    Just, sorry.
    I didn't mean any harm.

12. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

I love how you guys are really informative. The daily updates are amazing, keep them up! :)

Oyster likes this.
  13. Rozy

Rozy Phantasmal Quasar

As hard as waiting for the game is guys, why not find other things to do for now? I just got a 3DsXL and a pair of awesome games for it. And that's making the wait more than bearable.

Hell I'm looking forward to the game but I'm not well. Doing THIS

[​IMG]

Anymore.

Menasor, Autzome, RedScarWolf and 3 others like this.
  14. The fact you are here posting already cheer me up, but here's a listing:
    - Trailer (where is it? :p :p)
    - RoadMap Update

I hope you can find time to do such thing, a trailer would help you have that exposure you talk about, something we can share and link to our friends "hey check this game". ;)
    Even if Daily Updates are awesome, i want something to convince all my friends (some keep insisting with the Terraria clone) to buy this game. ^^

Menasor and Ferigad like this.
  15. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

Yeah, i'm really wondering where the trailer and roadmap update went.

Bacon and Ferigad like this.
  16. Ferigad

Ferigad The Number of the Minibeast

I am just happy that it wasn´t me this time to mention that! Feel allready like a evil leper when i ask for it! :alien:

17. randoomy

randoomy Void-Bound Voyager

Put a weapon that spits banana peels in the game . :monkey:

But seriously people will always want more and you can't please everyone.

CapnComrade likes this.
  18. Dorsidwarf

Dorsidwarf Subatomic Cosmonaut

Even though the release date has been constantly vague and pushed back, I have always waited patiently, because I know this game is going to be amazing, and brilliant, and that rushing something because it is taking longer than expected is never a good idea.

Kudos to you, Chucklefish.

CapnComrade and Avialle like this.
  19. Tiy

The roadmap update isnt far off.

The trailer we're waiting on certain features we want to show off before we put it out. Once those are done we'll create it quickly :)

20. greenskye

greenskye Pangalactic Porcupine

There are only two game communities that I'm involved in. Starbound and Dwarf Fortress. You know what those two share in common? Constant progress updates and reachable devs. In my opinion you're already doing wonderfully with the daily updates. I can understand people being impatient (I am too!), but I don't think that means you're doing anything wrong. Good games take time to make. It's just not always easy to wait.