1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So how screwed are humans?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Noble Pigeon, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Noble Pigeon

Noble Pigeon Void-Bound Voyager

I know they'll probably be clearing up the lore later on, but I'm a bit confused as to the exact situation of humanity in Starbound, even after reading all the codexes. We initially heard humans have a interstellar empire, but now it seems like the only real extrasolar colonies Earth had were USCM bunkers and a few tiny trading posts. And it sounds like Earth is still divided into nation-states, so that would be a major obstacle to extrasolar colonization.

So now Earth was attacked by a tentacle beast and killed offed a good portion of the population on Earth. I'll be conservative and assume maybe 80% of the human race was still residing on Earth, the other 19% living in various colonies and habitats in the solar system, and the remaining 1% in the rest of the galaxy. So what do you guys think? Assuming you're playing as a human (and honestly if you're not playing as a human I pity you), would you like to see a mission that returns to Earth to take back our planet? Are we doomed as a species or will we bounce back somehow?

Also, do you think the marine bunkers will be made friendly later on? I ask because one codex entry suggests that the USCM eventually relaxes its strict quarantine procedures and allows trade from outside the bunkers.

Bughunter, Crystan and Fogbot3 like this.
  2. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Earth? Good riddance!

I'm curious though, why do you pity non-humans : o

Exxil3d and DoodleYankee like this.
  3. Windy017

Windy017 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Fairly sure the tentacle monster thing was actually resting inside the core of earth since the start of time before it popped it's ugly head and ripped humanity a new one... Come to think about it, That sounded more dodgy than I thought...

Excuse my French, but I am fairly sure planet Earth is, as they would say. "Fucked".

But humanity has a habit of getting through such events.

Doesn't explain the penguins though. They where just chilling at Antarctica since the start of time because of a crash landing or something, and decided to bail on us as soon as the whole "tentacle" predicament happened.

Heartstrings, Banished, Yzzey and 4 others like this.
  4. Ariamus

Ariamus Master Chief

After just watching the WIP human intro again I'd have to agree Earth is gone.
    Or at least any kind of Earth we'd recognise.

As for those penguins maybe they were just keeping an eye on us all this time...
    "No one would have believed in the middle of the 20th century that human affairs were being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than mans"

Or, that a giant tentacle monster was growing in the earths core. ;)

Naara likes this.
  5. Herrawesome

Herrawesome Space Penguin Leader

Wiki says: While in the midst of a particularly lengthy struggle to claim Mars, the humans observed a Beast From Beyond The Stars crash land on Earth.

I will lead the charge back to Holy Terra. I will fell this chaos beast, and the Empire of Mankind will return home.

Insane, BushElito, Camtire and 4 others like this.
  6. Gruffalo

Gruffalo Guest

I don't see what the problem was with the Tentacle monster, couldn't we just have got Japan on the case ?

7. Windy017

Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaah...
    Good luck on that. Is it even worth it? I mean, surely Earth is to the point that there are little to no useful resources left... unless dead tentacle monster is capable of powering an entire sector with ease or something. Besides, the cost of rebuilding makes it kinda pointless.
    We could have, I have heard reports of... "experimentation". You can do the math about that one.

Scientists have way too much time in their hands...

8. Herrawesome

The lack of resources is meaningless. It is the galaxy's duty to provide for Terra, as the Empire of Man is the rightful figurehead of leadership.

Pay your wartithe as a good citizen of the Empire should, or die a traitor's death.

9. Windy017

Alright, Alright... I'm just going to nod and agree since your the guy with the bigger gun.

Morzan and Herrawesome like this.
  10. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Pity me for not playing Human? Uh...ok?

Deeper racial missions are a popular idea and it would be good to see some in time. As for the USCM, they are not a military organisation any more, they are fractured groups who just happen to wear a uniform. They are just racial mobs.

11. Fammia

Fammia Subatomic Cosmonaut

B-but I thought we had them Jaegers
    [​IMG]

12. Herrawesome

They were deployed on mars and arrived on Terra too late. They were destroyed on impact.

But what was broken can be restored.

segundoblz likes this.
  13. Noble Pigeon

Yes.

Well there needs to be implemented human settlements sometime, and bunkers fit perfectly. A) it symbolizes the lack of human colonization in the galaxy and b ) a generic town with generic humans would be pretty damn boring tbh.

14. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

What was broken once shall be corrupted by chaos.

BushElito, Zuvaii, Morzan and 2 others like this.
  15. Herrawesome

Heretic!

I found one such bunker filled with Imperial Guard who'd fallen to Chaos. I purged them and led some survivors to the bunker's safety. I've also been purging other worlds of xenos taint and building human settlements there.

This galaxy will be a Human one.

Banished and Noble Pigeon like this.
  16. Noble Pigeon

You lucky Astartes :\ I usually only do that if the bunker/town/etc. is near the spawn. I was only able to do so when the spawn was in the middle of an Avian town, so after killing all of the Avians I populated it with humans. Kinda preferred a bunker though :\

Herrawesome likes this.
  17. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Ok but why do you pity people who don't play humans? Just curious

Charlatan likes this.
  18. Herrawesome

The bunker wasn't near a spawn, but I am a servant of the Empire. I constructed a skyrail to make travel quick, safe, and easy.

I did the same to a strange xenos base that had a matter engine. It is now my Fortress Monastery.

[​IMG]

19. Windy017

Wait, aren't you like, ridiculously super heavyweight?

How the hell can the skyrail hold all that weight? Aren't they made of light material?

20. Herrawesome

There is nothing light about Durasteel.

Cirom likes this.