1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So how screwed are humans?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Noble Pigeon, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

I actually dont pity those who play as say... floran... all they do issssssssssssss sssssssssstabbing people. Basicly bringing war. Wait thats what humans do aswell... seems closer then I initially thought. I just dont get how they are capable to identify themself with other races, I mean got also race diverse characters but with none I can identify myself with then with my human characters. Its probaly just the way how I see things and behavior in humans and projecting that onto other (fictional) cultures. In game aswell. Its probaly just again my very simple dark view on the world I have avoiding me to have fun with other species in this game. That sounded wrong... therefor I meant to say having characters where I can really roleplay with... you know what I mean. Characters I like to play as.

So I love all the creativity and uniqueness of the races in starbound but yet I prefer playing as human since their scenario fits best (imo), earth being destroyed by an alienthreat while humanity was too busy fighting their own kind instead of fighting the new threat. Other species have also some nice backstories but well... they just dont fit to me:

Apex: Basicly living under dictatorship similar to the one in George Orwells 1984. Very similar. I can think into that scenario, but for me fighting such a huge force would seem pointless...

Avian: This heretic/grounded (not grounded like being grounded like Butters from southpark) backstory. Also can think into that situation, yet that species has decent technology and some of them believe in their god, but some also dont.
    Decent technologies like spaceships they aqquired somehow. The whole backstory remembers me somewhat from the older SG1 Stargate TV show, not a bad show I think, but I just simply cannot think myself into conflicts based on religion since I consider religion as nonsense (sorry for those who believe in god, I appreciate that you are capable to).

Hylotl: Here also, comparing this species to humans which is wrong by me again. Cant think myself into a species wanting to have peace everywhere. As we see on ourself we are just a species driven by war and fighting eachother. Being better then eachother. And without war some great developments in human history might never be done... Therefor I do not understand how the hylotl progressed in technology fast (except they are an relativly old race). War brings innovation sadly. More innovation then just the will to know more about the envirement.

Floran: Most similar to humans IMO... the only species eliminating THEMSELF and competitors like humans would do, could identify myself with them I have to agree... but here again, theres the cold, "rational" side missing since florans seem to have a good culture... you know what I mean, humans kill to gain ressources, grow and evolve/getting better, florans kill to grow, gain ressources, evolve... same virus like behavior like humans have. But yet making them look very cute and innocent + having those rituals (finally I got the word I was looking for) like eating dead bodies of their people (cannibalism) kinda blocks me off from identifying myself with. They seem to have something what most people call "soul". Florans got a Soul, something making them loveable, humans dont.

Glitch: Have a really really complex backstory, and didnt got to understand and read it yet so I wont make a statement. If they are war bringing like humans are and the ones getting rid of their "pathethic hivemind" are cold and rational then I could identify myself with them.

Therefor the only species I can identify myself with are humans.

And I am sure they are capable to catch up the damage they have taken. I mean Humans behave like a virus, consuming all ressources they can grab to grow and to eliminate possible competitors.
    Then when all ressources of a planet are consumed they just move on to the next and repeat. No unselfish behavior, just behaving good towards others when they gain their own advantage and adaptive like no other species.
    I mean, thats why we are probaly the dominant species on earth and not some reptiles or so... The only species capable of deflecting dangers from outer space partially (e.g Meteorites) and avoiding damage at natural disasters (on earth). Kinda selfish to think that. But well sorry, thats what I think about humans, kinda reflecting that onto a game what is out there IRL...

Yes I know that this text is way too long,

Thanks for rune to remember me:

TL DR Bullshit used nowadays:

I dont believe that humans are threatened somehow in starbound, they behave like a virus in the game, so they do IRL. And that behavior differs humans from any other species. Other species live IN an envirement. Humans ADAPT the envirement to themself. We dont change ourselfs, not in behavior nor culture nor psychological motives, we will always fall back to this basic behavior of destroying other life and envirements to gain our own advantage. We ONLY change the surroundings of us for our best.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
    Charlatan likes this.
  2. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

TL;DR above me, but skimming across it I think I understand.

3. Ventisco

Ventisco Void-Bound Voyager

The tentacles are a threat to all sentient life. For that we are willing to align with the Empirium and Humanity's other remnants. We find devotion to the chaos gods or a faith of this Emperor of Yours unbecoming of a sentient race. Respect for the Emperor as a powerful human being who contributed vastly to the human race is more than acceptable, but we cannot tolerate the abominations of the chaos gods. Sentient beings are capable of far more than avarice.

4. Herrawesome

Herrawesome Space Penguin Leader

Dude I'm, pretty sure every race in this game does what you're talking about.

Rune the Red Panda likes this.
  5. Ventisco

Ventisco Void-Bound Voyager

Life seeks survival. As intelligent life, we must learn to survive efficiently. Such is the state of the living. Evolution rewards co-operation.

6. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Explain me then please how a "peacefull" race like the hylotl, hating all kinds of war and wanting to live actually in peace with other races are capable to behave virus like?

That just doesnt fit to them. Either they behave like that and their whole ideology is a fail and fraud or they do not behave like that and their ideology reflects their culture and behavior.
    Their ideology (living in peace with all races) is the direct opposite to the behavior of humans and possibly other species... which would lead me to the question if they are rather an endangered species IF they are actually willing peace since other species might not seek that.

7. Herrawesome

Herrawesome Space Penguin Leader

That peaceful race can't build starships without metal. They can't power them without fuel. How they treat lizards, insects, and mammals is irrelevant - they still harvest resources until they dry.

8. Murderatte

Murderatte Phantasmal Quasar

The penguins are part of the flightless Avian (I think) that went rogue.

9. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

True, they have gained their ressources and eliminated life in the process. Hm their ideology seems to be sorta... paradox to their actual behavior then?
    They need to evolve and for that they have to wipe out other life, and now they go a step further... going into space meeting other intelligent life and wanting peace with them?
    Peace with other species who are competitors... If they want peace they will probaly get ripped apart sooner or later when they are in other species way. But again, probaly just reflecting the behavior of ourselves onto other (fictional) behaviors.

10. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

You tell me how this thing can skyrail?

[​IMG]

Zebe likes this.
  11. Valentime

Valentime Space Hobo

I think ya'll may be skipping over the idea of balance. Yes they have to harvest to progress, but that doesn't mean destroying entire planets and corrupting atmospheres. Also the idea that killing animals is anywhere near against peace is also way off. Animal populations of all kinds need to be kept in check, and the food chain exists for a reason, so long as they are not over harvesting and using all of what they take efficiently then they are maintaining their belief. While they didn't go to war, they also didnt have to fight against their entire world for resources or goals, instead they had the the ability to act as a one, to produce research and innovate as one in peace.

12. Wisty

Wisty Subatomic Cosmonaut

I haven't really read the full lore on humans, but it sounds to me that earth has been completely destroyed without any hope of getting it back. Besides, even if they could get earth back, why bother? Isn't earth the reason that the humans fell behind and went to war with each other? The earth was picked clean of resources and was nothing but a massive drain on their economy. Now that it is gone the surviving humans can regrow without being held back by earth.

13. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Anybody else think it's curious how people still want to follow race schemes, when Starbound is so well guiding you to finding your own individual path?

Tamorr and Rune the Red Panda like this.
  14. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

Japan would just do unspeakable experiments on those tentacles...

The only way to save earth is to hire a vogon fleet to blow it up then go find Titan and rebuild :/

15. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

That can only end one way: Emo kids with daddy issues piloting giant mecha to the sound of classical music.

16. "How screwed are humans?"
    [​IMG]
    What do you think? How would you feel if our planet Earth got destroyed by some space tentacle moster? Yeah, that's right! That's how screwed they are!

17. TheAvianLord

TheAvianLord Sandwich Man

Guys, it says that the tentacle monster EXPLODED THE EARTH!!! :eek: Not many humans would have survived

Charlatan likes this.
  18. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

I envy that tentacle monster.

TheAvianLord likes this.
  19. SnowFox1

SnowFox1 Void-Bound Voyager

I wonder what they do for humans

20. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Well, thing is........
    We always pull through
    Compared to the other species, we aren't special. Not the smartest, most evolved, most powerful, most numerous, or anything, really
    Only thing that no one else shares is our nature.
    We have more than two sides to our species, unlike the rest.
    We have the quality of doing whatever it takes, murder of millions of our own species, or another species, or threatening the universe, just to survive
    We don't fight to win
    We fight to survive.

And one more thing
    We have organized unpredictableness

Not the randomness of the Florans, but pure, thought out, unpredictable

In the end, we'll make it.

Also, we have Nic Cage and the Emperor

Banished and Hawk Novablast like this.