1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So how screwed are humans?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Noble Pigeon, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Since we can carry multiple stacks of 1000x approx . 0.5m² large blocks of metal, we are all capable of being so insanely heavyweight we would split the world asunder after warping.

2. A quest to go to Earth is definitely a must have, I believe. Not only for Humans, but for every race. Since all players are Humans anyways (I assume :p), I believe we all have some curiosity to pay Earth a visit and see what's what. Perhaps it could be a battlefield for one of the end-game bosses as well?

USCM still seems to be operational'ish (also considering that General Kale and her troops made it to a space station not far from Mars), though the overall marine force must have definitely taken a major blow with the monster attack.

If there's one thing you'll allow me to complain about is the background for human characters, namely the info you can read in the entry called "A Human Journey Begins". While I appreciate the Alien reference, I dislike the way the human character has been set up to be sort of a moron. I mean, Earth has been attacked by some unintelligible gargantuan beast, and for some reason the character decides to bring some random little alien on board (because of reasons), which ends up killing the rest of the crew, with you eventually ejecting it out of the airlock. I'd rather if this alien had sneaked into the ship instead, thus giving the character a more neutral background than being the one responsible for the muder of an entire crew.

Obviously a lot of people can see beyond this intro (which doesn't really mean anything for the rest of the game or in terms of gameplay) and have a blast as a human, but for those who would like to feel immersed in the Starbound universe, this can sort of be a deal breaker to play as a human. I think more neutral/broad backgrounds provide more room for players to fill in the blanks as they wish, which grants more freedom to be "your own" character instead of having actions forced into your story (and when those actions are dumb amd you have no control over them, it just makes it worse ). If you take the Glitch intro into consideration, seen in a "A Glitch Journey Begins", you understand that the character has been forced to flee from his/her home, though you never get a specific reason as to why, which is great! That way, for those who like to think of lore, backstories, etc. to enrich their experience, they may have whatever backstory they want: At that point, they could have been a Glitch Knight who eventually rebelled against his/her Lord; Or they could have been a thief who was arrested and, to escape death, fled to the stars. It's whatever you please. (Considering the system of interchangeable roles as described by Hiraki Corale)

Yeah, you can apply lore in this manner to the human background too, but it'll always get to the point that the character, knowing that Earth had been ripped apart, decided to bring an unknown alien on board anyways, which murdered everyone else. :ssssssssss:

Edit: Another option could be that perhaps the whole crew decided to bring the alien on board in order to study it or something. While it was contained, the thingy managed to escape and the rest is history... :p

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    Herrawesome likes this.
  3. Kolache

Kolache Astral Cartographer

Where do you think it came from?

4. Herrawesome

Herrawesome Space Penguin Leader

5. Kolache

Kolache Astral Cartographer

That's a cover-up by the Japanese government.

6. 40880472

40880472 Subatomic Cosmonaut

They all got upgraded to become one of us
    [​IMG]

7. Ventisco

Ventisco Void-Bound Voyager

Actually that is a cover up by Miniknog, bane of the Intergalactic Communist Party for it's inhuman treatment of its citizens. We will unite all creeds, including the remnants of humanity, under the banner of a United Universe that all may thrive. That beast on earth must be destroyed, though what will remain of the planet afterwords remains to be seen. Orbital bombardment is highly recommended due to a lack of civilian population or recoverable infrastructure. Furthermore, it may be the only caliber of attack capable of felling the beast. I'm sure some Exterminatus rounds could accelerate the process should you provide them Herrawesome. Would recompense in terms of reparation of the golden throne through usage of apex technology and even improvement on its design be acceptable?

8. DawnOfNights

DawnOfNights Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]
    We do, we do....

40880472, BushElito, Serenity and 3 others like this.
  9. Herrawesome

It isn't for me to decide, xenos. I will speak with my Chapter Master.

Though your unholy technology will go no-where near the Golden Throne.

10. Phyrosite

Phyrosite Phantasmal Quasar

I heard that humans blew up Earth to kill the tentacle thing :V

11. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

You pity me for not being human? RACIST!!!! :mad:

12. Ventisco

Ventisco Void-Bound Voyager

1 Exterminatus round >>>>>> Army of Titans from Attack on Titan. Suit yourself, but your murder of those you call psykers to support it will not be permitted forever. We will encourage your own technological development that you may improve it yourself.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    Bughunter likes this.
  13. Herrawesome

To the darkness I bring fire. To the ignorant I bring faith. Those who welcome these gifts may live, but I will visit naught but death and eternal damnation on those who refuse them.

Tharrick and Nazja like this.
  14. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

And to anyone who happens to be born as a xenos.
    The gods of chaos, however, accept everyone's service.

15. Herrawesome

Service is an apt word, for that is all the chaos gods have. Slaves.

16. Warkupo

Warkupo Big Damn Hero

I am intrigued this this "kill everything that looks like a tentacle with zeal and anger" angle you're selling. Let me just go gather a few metric tons of explosives.

Herrawesome likes this.
  17. Herrawesome

[​IMG]

We will work wonders together.

18. Rune the Red Panda

B-But it's my favorite (maybe second favorite) biome!

19. Herrawesome

Heretic!

[​IMG]

Serenity likes this.
  20. Rune the Red Panda

Okay Okay.. kill the tentacles, save the humans.. I give! I give!
    O.O;