1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Post here if you are an XP user crashing at Chucklefish logo.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Suhr, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonesh

Jonesh Aquatic Astronaut

Same here! Can't launch from the launcer, but safe mode gets me to the loading screen. Considering trying the workaround, but I think I'll just wait.

2. Daurinniel

Daurinniel Poptop Tamer

what is this workaround you speak of?!

3. Fizzy Amp

Fizzy Amp Void-Bound Voyager

4. Lance Twilight

Lance Twilight Master Chief

Just played for the first time, worked with setting affinity to one core. (on XP32) Crashed when I slept in a bed, but I loved the little I got to play. If there is a way to set it up so the program always starts with the same affinity, that would help since I have about 1 second to set it before an error kicks me out. But it actually is progress, so these Devs are amazing.

5. Mottleyparasite

Mottleyparasite Orbital Explorer

Thank you Based Bartwe.

6. Wicce13

Wicce13 Poptop Tamer

Got it working with affinity at 0 core... crashes after creating character and (probably) starts making worlds. yeee progress!!!!

7. GLotch343

GLotch343 Void-Bound Voyager

I played it for about an hour, and then when I slept in a bed, it crashed and gave me all the typical errors. Restarting my system and doing all the workarounds doesn't seem to get it to start now. I hope they can get this fixed, I spent the last of my cash on this game, so I can have something to play while I look for a job.

8. LEYERSON

LEYERSON Space Hobo

Omegadark8 likes this.
  9. Tardisphere

Tardisphere Scruffy Nerf-Herder

(beat me to it :p)

Garofano and Jonesh like this.
  10. Fizzy Amp

Fizzy Amp Void-Bound Voyager

That's actually a great news!

11. PyroFire

PyroFire Star Wrangler

the problem clearly comes from a multithreading issue.

also, for those of you that can't get it to work; you have to set starbound to one core _before_ any errors pop up, or it won't work.

i just found a program that automatically does this for you when you run starbound.
    http://bitsum.com/processlasso/

when you get it installed, run starbound (i'm using the opengl ver)
    it'll freeze when the error pops up, just find starbound in process lasso, right click -> CPU Affinity -> Always -> "Select CPU Affinity"

Have fun!

Rycka7 likes this.
  12. ooveNoIVIooJR

ooveNoIVIooJR Space Hobo

I got the game to work, by unchecking cores except 0 and setting priority to high, and I was in game for about 1 day-night cycle. But then whenever I was placing walls during the night, I ran out, and went to my crafting bench, pressed E, and I got the same error messages I got whenever I would have started the game normally.

13. Omegadark8

Omegadark8 Intergalactic Tourist

The work around worked for me awell im playing the game right now.

14. ooveNoIVIooJR

ooveNoIVIooJR Space Hobo

It appears that whenever I try to open the crafting bench after I die, I get game crashes. Not sure if they're the exact same of that of the launcher errors, but they look identical.

EDIT: The fact that I died was similar in both crashes

15. S. P. Gardebiter

S. P. Gardebiter Master Chief

It usually crashes for me when I'm going to sleep.
    Otherwise it works fine with that little workarround (if you can make it work actually).

Many thanks to the developers and those who figured out how to make it work on Win XP.

16. TeddyGrams

TeddyGrams Tentacle Wrangler

i can get to the loading screen but now im getting like 3 errors. one of them is a c++ runtime error and i tryed setting my CPU Affinity to 0 and 1 i get the same errors...

1.Stack Trace...
    007D25B0 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
    77C33509
    77C33BF5
    77C33C94
    00B619D0
    00CCA1AC
    -------------------------------------------------------
    2.Access violation detected at 0x77c33509 (Read of address 0)

---------------------------
    3.Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    ---------------------------
    Runtime Error!

Program: ...am\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound_opengl.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

the workaround isnt helping me at all not unless im doing it wrong.............

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  17. Rycka7

Rycka7 Space Hobo

got it working by doing this. but it feels kinda slugish when entering new places or mining.

18. Cyriel

Cyriel Pangalactic Porcupine

So the latest patch threw me from a freeze to a crash. I'm now getting actual crashes woohoo !

3 error screens:
    access violation detected at 0x77c0330c (read of address 0)

Stack Trace...
    007d01d0
    77c0330c
    77c034f3
    77c03c1b
    77c03c60
    00b5e16f
    7c90e920

Microsoft visual C++ runtime library
    Runtime error
    Program: [...]\win32\starbound_opengl.exe

Running Windows XP SP3
    Geforce 9600GT 1024MB edition
    Creadive x-fi Live.
    2 GB ram

Also both the launcher and main exe don't do anything when i run them. The openGL version is the only one that does anything at all and produces these errors. Running either of these exes outside of steam causes none of them to work properly.

Making excellent progress in finding out wtf is wrong, which is good. Gooo Bartwe !

Logfile:

Attached Files:

19. Sheogoraz

Sheogoraz Master Chief

Managed to play with the little core 0 workaround, but the game is awfully slow. It crashed when I pressed Escape and gave me some error reports, after having played for 15 minutes and completed some missions. Hope Bart can fix this.

Edit : this happened when I tried to sleep in a bed --> http://i.imgur.com/e4cE9WY.png

20. Rycka7

Rycka7 Space Hobo

same here. i left the game and its not working again. will have to wait for him to fix it :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.