1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Post here if you are an XP user crashing at Chucklefish logo.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Suhr, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAleN

IAleN Big Damn Hero

I hope, that Bart will solve this problem.;)

2. Zoro the Gallade

Zoro the Gallade Big Damn Hero

I can finally see the Loading screen. So close I can practically taste it.

3. Scootaloo7896

Scootaloo7896 Space Spelunker

The game started again. But it was still lagging. I have no idea why it starts sometimes.

My Specs btw... Maybe they are helpfulX3:
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
    2.00 GHz, 2,00 GB RAM

4. Corpsie

Corpsie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Welcome to the world of real beta testing. Take heart in the fact that after just one day the reported bug has been "solved" and replaced with a different bug. In the real world, with a less passionate and dedicated team, with all the tedious office politics and budget bullshit would mean that you spend hours and hours arguing about what's a bug, what's a function and what wasn't on the specs in the first place. You wouldn't get a "professional" dev team even admitting that this was a bug for another 3-4 working days.

This isn't the common betas you see which are more about balancing and load testing. This is "right, we need as many eyes/systems as possible. It is going to go wrong in all sorts of frustrating ways" It's what you signed up for- Tier 3 is closer to the betas that we have been conditioned to expect, so try and keep that in mind. Getting angry at the errors won't solve them and getting angry at a team that are working as hard as humanly possible and probably a little sleep deprived will (at best) create more cock ups as they mainline caffeine and go cross-eyed staring at a screen while they try to placate you.

I know this doesn't feel like progress, but take my word for it. It's a massive jump in a very small window of time. (from what I understand, yesterday's error was something locking a vital process to do something and not unlocking it at the end- stopping anything else that was using it. Today appears to be more like a looping or lookup error/ GOTO thingy- so it's stepped past the block and hit something that I think is a cross platform bug). But that's just a hunch on my part, it's been a while since I've dealt with software at this level and I'm still shaking the rust off.

Yeah, I know scant comfort for people like us who are itching to play the game, but it bodes well for a relatively swift resolution even if we're going to have to suffer a few false starts.

5. Izome

Izome Void-Bound Voyager

Well, new update and it crashes instead of hanging. Yay progress?X3

6. skmou

skmou What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

Finally...
    You're a bit more optimistic

7. Lawlkatz

Lawlkatz Intergalactic Tourist

While I thank you for putting optimism in this subject, and explaining what was going on bug wise in the past couple of days the only thing I have a problem with is this. We all paid for beta access, normal you would get paid to fix extremely easy bug fixes like this for all it is, is tedious checking and maybe re-writing some access code wiithin the startup parameters. While you have made me feel a bit better, I can't help but feel a little bummed out because I only just bought this game and can't even check it out tonight (or this morning) as it doesn't even boot up. Now I know it's selfish of me not to be part of the solution here, but I didn't purchase this just to start working on something that should have been looked at before it even thought about having a price tag.

Just my opinion on the matter, thanks for all the hard work devs! =]

8. PyroFire

PyroFire Star Wrangler

9. Asferot

Asferot Void-Bound Voyager

Nope. Does not help. At least not for me.

I for one was ready for this kind of thing because the game never was tested on anything besides the dev teams PCs.
    To be honest the beta is going well.
    And Im looking forward to bugfixes and ...well actually beeing able to play finally.

kentelljd likes this.
  10. FreakyPie

FreakyPie Void-Bound Voyager

I'm on XP and before the update the game crashed at the Chucklefish logo, now it crash at launch and leave the game's window transparent while making the Window error sound. I can't even see the loading screen or an error message.

11. senritsu

senritsu Seal Broken

Turning on affinity to 0 helped me, game is loading to menu, I created character, started game and even teleport to planet, still working, so its pretty much playable:) Now we just need to wait for fix, I hope it will be soon:)

12. Corpsie

I've been dying to play this for about a year and put my money down knowing that this stage was going to be an absolute clusterf*** (it's one of those horrible realities of software- coders just aren't omnipotent and they need normal people to test and act in ways they simply don't think about). The communication on this site has been astounding and at every stage they've been really clear what we will be getting ourselves into. I've just looked at the greenlight page and I guess the limitations of the store means you can't put a full explanation down like they did here- http://playstarbound.com/how-the-beta-is-going-to-work/

If it is bugging you too much, I'd suggest chilling with another game and come back in few days. At this pace the showstoppers will be almost gone and although you'll probably still hit a load of errors and frustrating bugs, you should be able to experience the game. Although you may lose a character or two as the bugs get sorted, so try not to get too attached to anything until things settle.

Stuff like this happens because maybe it runs on the virtual machine used in testing. Maybe the test computer is lucky, or rigged as a programming environment (so a DLL or something is missing on normal computers), possibly compiling has gone a bit wonky. There's billions of reasons why code goes wrong as soon as you release it into the wild.. it's why this stage of beta is a frustrating inevitability.

And don't worry about being selfish and a little bummed out- I'm in a similar boat, cash down, hungry to play and would be very peeved if the communication intentions and and progress wasn't so clear. Once I'm in game you'll be lucky to hear anything from me.

Kanedork likes this.
  13. Corpsie

I've just done the same.(for those who can't be bothered to go back) and I seem to have some success- posting before you guys lose me.

1. Bring up process manager.
    2. Run Starbound
    3. Right click on the process and set affinity.
    4. You'll have a tickbox for each CPU core you have. Deselect all but 0
    5. There will be a pause while it builds the universe, make a cuppa.
    6. Turn your cores back on.
    7. Play.

14. AeonsAlex

AeonsAlex Phantasmal Quasar

How do you do that? :O

15. Simi

Simi Big Damn Hero

Doesn't work...

16. Daurinniel

Daurinniel Poptop Tamer

Welp....does this count as progress lol? it still doesn't launch from the launcher in normal mode...just lags everything down (including task manager, now), BUT..I got it to error out in safemode 2 times!
    http://pastebin.com/8niwedjU lel

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  17. h3rflik

h3rflik Space Hobo

Worked for me!
    Windows XP user. Had to set the affinity to 0 PLUS set priority to HIGH for both starbound.exe and launcher.exe.

18. Simi

Simi Big Damn Hero

Lol... after trying it 10 times finally worked!!!

19. Corpsie

It's a bit of a knack, you've got to be on top of the process as soon as it pops up, but it's still not all that stable.

On the other hand, got as far as crafting a bed and falling asleep before the crash.

20. Sandwalker

Sandwalker Space Hobo

Worked for me after two unsuccessfull tries.

Worked once and never again.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.