1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help [Petition] Please fix Server Stability

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Stadl0r, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Fleder

Fleder Pangalactic Porcupine

As mentioned in the news itself, they let the shirt shop do the work for them.
    Also, as tiy mentioned, they are working on the server stability fixes, so please do not try to make this any worse.
    We all know that this was not handled that well, but they at least try to work on it now, and lets not forget,
    it is still an early access game where everything is under construction.
    The only problem is the lack of communication about what is going to be worked on right now
    and that they seem to not see what we want, maybe because of there is no moderator telling them about such things and threads.

2. Tarrker

Tarrker Void-Bound Voyager

I host servers for the games that my circle of friends and family enjoy playing the most. For a couple years that's been Minecraft and now Starbound. But it's just too slow and easy to grief. I keep my important materials on my home planet to keep my ship from being picked clean. However people can still get into my home planet storage by just going there. They may be family but it's like a candy dish. You see it and say you'll only take a few but so does everyone else. Then it's all gone.

If we just had a way to protect our ship and/or home planets this would be a non issue. Even so there is still a ton of server lag.

3. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is actually.

First you need to build a password system via in-game wiring.

Then hope no one figures out how to use 0.5x zoom to look at your wiring and password and hope if they do, they don't understand it.

Finally, go into admin mode by typing
    /admin
    Then enter:
    /settileprotection 65532 true
    /settileprotection 65535 true

That will make the location you're at have unbreakable blocks like the outpost, but storage can be accessed still.

You can also do it to your ship and place storage behind a wall, then disable block protection when you need to access it. And if you don't want anyone to have access, you can turn it on and off and use a wall on the planet too.

This method does prevent building on the planet / ship though.

Another alternative is storing things offline or on another character.

RatixFarrence, Wrayke and Fleder like this.
  4. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

You know the program Starcheat? While griefers may make use of it, it's also a good tool for object recovery, among other things.
    Alternatively, there is /admin and /spawnitem

5. DiWorm

DiWorm Void-Bound Voyager

Before buy game in 2013 I see devs roadmap where all game fuctions be near 70%+.. In next year developers did not do anything, and this patch "giraffe" pathetic illusion of year work.
    And now devs show us new t-shirts... It's real devs trolling like: "We need more gold, for build ziggurat, pay and maybe get a result"

6. renojonathanr

renojonathanr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Heh. The devs are getting ahead of themselves by letting another company sell game-related merchandise before the game is actually finished, or at least in a working state.

7. SexualRhinoceros

SexualRhinoceros Existential Complex

hi! I ran a server once upon a time and had the same issues that still exist today, but it obviously got worse. I bitched at Tiy and Omni in IRC so much that they had to acknowledge me about the memory leaks and overall bugginess of multiplayer. I also told them about how I couldn't do shit as a server admin and I had to fucking IP Ban people whom I didn't want on the server. They told me this would be fixed "in an upcoming update". This was over a year ago in early January of 2014 and still, server owners are being continuously bent over a barrel while servers are legitimately what could keep starbound afloat. They don't realize that thats why people play minecraft. Not many play single player because all exploration games are much much better w/ friends.

Anywho, I was thinking about booting my server back up and decided to lurk into this subforum again but obviously server owners are still getting the shit end of the stick in updates so back to obscurity I go!

Archer and nic572 like this.
  8. Fleder

it is still in development.
    they had everything near 70% but if you add things and alter them, you have to make the other features and systems draw level with the new stuff.
    how should it be possible to complete something like the quests 100%, then add more quests, alter the quest system, alter tiers and still be at 100%?
    think about what you are talking with some logic here.

you can always change your tires on the car you own, but if you buy another car, you have to change them again, if you want those tires to be on the new car.

as the game grows and content is added/changed, they have work on all other systems again.
    if you are not okay with a game that is in early access, don't buy it next time and wait for the release.

9. DiWorm

Bad ideas, coz not need more new content if cant do stable server side\singleplayer. By analogy with your cars, it may be a situation where producers are withdrawing party machines as Rejection they were and they never released a car with three wheels instead of four for the price of 100% on the condition that they ever finish it, under the terms of the contract. Only starbaunde no such contract and cant get refund.

10. The problem raises to a point, for them Starbound is Mainly a SinglePlayer Game.

They refuse to admit the importance of multiplayer, i really wonder how popular would this game be if you could not play multiplayer. Unless specially Tiy opens his eyes to what really makes this game successful and stops breaking it, all we keep seeing is anything but promises "will work on that later" (since last year) and the ones that the Giraffe patch would fix most of the concurrency issues (which did not happen).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  11. themangokid

themangokid Void-Bound Voyager

Yes please skip the adding of more stuff, get the servers stable :rainbow:

12. Wrayke

Wrayke Void-Bound Voyager

+1. Please fix server stability!

13. DiWorm

14. Tuliup Man

Tuliup Man Scruffy Nerf-Herder

+1. Multiplayer is what kept me playing this game for a whole year without updates... please don't neglect it. Sure this new update is AMAZING but what I love about starbound is finding things and making things to help or contribute to a bunch of players... I really want to get back to building a base planet so please don't neglect this ;)

15. So hey people, i had to test the Unstable Branch of starbound, that is, to test if the issues were actually improved, here's some bad news:
    • With less than 5 players online, server crashed several times.
    • Crashes without any logs are still a thing, even with their fixes to it.
    • Clients Crashing due server unloading worlds with them inside still happens.
    :down:

Fleder likes this.
  16. Funkyfresh4756

Funkyfresh4756 Starship Captain

:( thanks for keeping us informed bacon...even if it is bad news....

17. Fleder

None of you payed 100%, since the game is on discount for the early access phase. The game will be more expensive after release.
    So you might got a car with 3 tires, but you only payed 75% for it with the warning, that it is not finished and will not be for a while. If you talk about "terms of contract", there were none. Nowhere you got a terms and conditions which stated that you will get this and that on a certain date for sure.

But i am not going to argue about early access and meeting users expectations again.

18. DiWorm

I'm not saying anything about the release dates. I say that when I bought the product - the developers have said that it is almost ready, according to the roadmap. It took 2 years and did not move.

I just want normal server stability, for my players and me, without crazy hackers and server crashes every 5 minut with 64\64...

19. Tuliup Man

Tuliup Man Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Fleder, yes most of us are aware that we bought a early access game, but with the time, effort, and just brain power put into this as a community has us strained, we aren't like GIVE MEH REFUND 4 GOME PLS, nah m8 most of us love the game, just we would really love it for the game to fix it self we just support... at a uh... critical type of way... xD but srsly I thank Tiy for the game, as even if we have to wait another month (no pls xD) I will still wait for starbound to get fixed, it's the fun of the early access roller coaster ;)

20. Stadl0r

Stadl0r Contact!

This is by no means a give me back my money thread, just one of concern from a community who LOVES this game

amerisun, Funkyfresh4756 and Bacon like this.