1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help [Petition] Please fix Server Stability

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Stadl0r, Feb 5, 2015.

1. This evil devs with no soul, IRC Log:

Archer, Jonesy, Dunto and 1 other person like this.
  2. Flipdecoin

Flipdecoin Void-Bound Voyager

I dont know what else there is to say beyond please help. The servers I play on have been constantly crashing, and restarting so they are technically online, but inaccessible.

3. I too am unsatisfied with current server stability.

4. TallenMyriad

TallenMyriad Void-Bound Voyager

Chucklefish, for the love of all that is good and holy let me be blunt and say fix your shit.

5. Angre666

Angre666 Void-Bound Voyager

A fix to the instability would be greatly appreciated. I'm no server owner, but just like Flipdecoin, the server I play on is simply too unstable to enjoy most of the time; it's starting to hurt my faith in Starbound. The game is magnificent, but it isn't enjoyable if we're not even able to play it.

6. toadkid1234

toadkid1234 Void-Bound Voyager

In my opinion, and I'm sure the opinion of many others, the server stability issue should be priority one. What good is a bunch of bells and whistles if you're server is so unstable it's difficult to enjoy anything?

7. Fleder, Kazyyk and Silverforte like this.
  8. WuffyWolffoot

WuffyWolffoot Void-Bound Voyager

Server instability since Upbeat Giraffe has been released is at a low point.. I don't think the servers were even that bad back when things were just starting up..! The worst part about it is I do not think that there is much of anything the players can do to rectify that problem.. besides banding together so they can be heard! So speak up Starbounders!

9. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

They were. The server stability has improved a bit since launch but not enough. We didn't even have commands in stable for a looooong time. I would restart our server which is extraordinarily beefy (connection as well) then 5 minutes later, some kid would move some sand on a desert world and the cpu and memory would spike. Then until I restarted the server, it would cause a 2,000 ms latency or even higher. At one point, the latency was over 13,000 ms. The servers don't release information like they're supposed to and it just builds up over time. Last night, a griefer dork by the name dr88viper logged on and took the super fish axe to spawn world and destroyed IMMENSE amounts of dirt when I had forgotten to turn tile protection back on. The lag was some of the worst I've ever seen (only on spawn) because there were so many dropped blocks and so much displaced water that it was choking the planet's tile recognition. It took a full real life day for that to clear and rebooting did not help.

Imagine that with less stability like it was at launch and no commands. Now we have to rely on third party wrappers which barely work, are confusingly explained (the authors assume you just understand that stuff when they explain it) and very inefficient admin commands in the base game. At this time, I use starryPy and I can't give myself admin access to its commands, one of which is /ban and I've done every single thing possible to fix it. The authors don't seem concerned with my issue and I can't do anything about it until we get FIRST PARTY ADMINISTRATION TOOLS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCLUDED WITH THE GAME. It's high time game devs start taking more responsibility for their online components instead of shipping games with the online in shambles hoping the modding community will develop some sort of wrapper so they don't have to. See: bukkit, Tshock, that other terraria wrapper, StarryPy, Starrybound and on and on...

Being a server host is a ****ing nightmare as much as it was at launch and nothing has been done to help us out. It's a headache inducing NIGHTMARE and it should have already been addressed. What the hell can we do? Nothing but wait. And waiting is what killed all the attention this forum/game was getting earlier in 2014. This place used to be bustling, now I see some of the subforums go days without activity. When I first launched my server, I had to whitelist it because it was getting so much traffic from just a post here on these forums. And now, with the game having stagnated for so long and developed such a stale reputation for its long update droughts, getting people is hard to do because all the people who have stuck around have already found a home.

10. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

Though it may be more stable now than at launch, and simply agitated by the tools and assets we have access to now, it was more stable at the end of Koala than it is now. I don't know if something was stripped out, or if new code is not compatible with the old software, but it's bad. And it has particularly bad days.The fact that it has been put on the back burner in favor of more new content seems so backwards to me.

Bacon likes this.
  11. robindobin

robindobin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Please fix the these issues. Starbound is an amazing multiplayer experience, only if it would work and not crash all the time..
    It has become a daily (almost hourly) problem now. I really think this should be prio 1 on your list at chucklefish.. Multiplayer probably saved this game..

Bacon likes this.
  12. I have to disagree hugely with "server stability has improved the bit". I run Bacons since the day this game released, it has never been this unstable (day 1, 15min uptime is not that worse from what we deal with today, considering the huge amounts of traffic back then), and it's clear even from devs side how when report this issues, they are not even aware of issues we, server owners and people who play on MP communities deal with every day. Enraged Koala had to be the most stable server software, lasted much more time online without a crash and did not had so much networking failure issues (like chat gone, stuck teleporting, timeout when joining a server or players crashing while on server with wrongly sent world stop packet), what made more playable MP on Enraged Koala than UpBeat Giraffe.

Now it comes to 3rd party wrappers, the end thing is, all developers who cared, don't care anymore (with one instable server software, one wrapper will just break over and over again, there's also missing and wrong official modding docs from starbound what makes wrapper developers life a nightmare), of course also driven away by how developers while say they do care, they are leaving the multiplayer reports unanswered what hints you on how they don't like to work on MP at all. They say amazing things they plan to do, server-side chars/ships, mod server-client downloading, etc... Of course, features to be added after the game is released, but does this mean, it will stay this broken till then?!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    CrimsonGiraffe likes this.
  13. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Lets be fair - whats the point of multiplayer if the game it self is not stable first.
    The game will always take precedence. Otherwise you will have a great server stability - with a unstable base. Which will result in crashes anyway.
    Its basics of any design - first create the foundations before building on top of it.

I am sure server stability will come - once the programmers are done setting up the basic ground work for expanding the game by non programmers.
    After all if you put too much into multiplayer now - the main game won't get developed - which would make less sense in my opinion in the end of the day.

Unless your intention is for starbound to be a Glorified Chat Window with Avatars [ great server stability - no game play ]

Dunto, Jonesy and Boshed like this.
  14. Emraphel

Emraphel Space Hobo

LAN playability doesn't seem too great either. Not as much lag as an externally hosted server ,but the random lags seem more severe and result in unexpected deaths and whatnot, and the disconnects make coop missions kind of pointless. I would love to see more focus on multiplayer fixes. I really like the look of this game and the concept but I will probably not play it solo.

15. Silverforte

Yeah, I didn't mean better as in it stays up longer. I meant that the memory usage is handled better. I can spam spawn liquid and the memory usage doesn't stay spiked for nearly as long. It seems to clear itself better than during Koala. The server crashing is much worse, that's for sure, but my point was that it handles the memory usage better. It's still not good but it's surely better than it was at launch.

16. renojonathanr

renojonathanr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Unless their intention is for Starbound servers to lag like hell and crash every fifteen to thirty minutes (and I'm NOT exaggerating!), the developers need to fix their shitty multiplayer code (and also other bugs, annoyances and crash exploits in the game) before going on to add more game mechanics and "shiny new stuff". And to add to that, the devs could perhaps refine the existing content and mechanics before release. You know how the old saying goes: "Quality before quantity".

17. Of course multiplayer is a tricky thing to maintain, but it was their choice to release Starbound with it since day #1, they made that and now of course the necessary work to maintain that software along with the game itself is not there. To be fair as well, multiplayer is the selling point of the game, if we go back to Enraged Koala, almost one year without progression, and pretty much a lacky of content, what maintained the game alive with people playing it every day? It wasn't content because no way in hell Enraged had content for play during almost 1 year! :p

On my honest opinion, people love multiplayer on this game, on Enraged it was possible quite some stability with the server, and we gone full every day, as well the MP communities around, from Roleplay to Social to Survival themed servers (Public or Private). There wasn't much content to play with, but multiplayer was more playable, and that kept people happy. So it's not about stop developing the game to improve multiplayer, is about progress multiplayer along with the main game, giving it the minimum stability, and i'm not talking about big servers is known the issues are sadly affecting everybody in general way.

Kufell likes this.
  18. Silverforte

I wouldn't count on vanilla RP to get any better. They nerfed a few immersive elements (cooking ore, hunger, temperature). The fact they keep layering new content/gameplay on top of broken code makes me think it's only going to take another year before we see any significant improvement for multiplayer. Honestly I don't know what they were thinking when they said online wasn't a major priority. That's the replayability... I have given up on Director Mode.

Archer likes this.
  19. Narks

Narks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The notion that multiplayer can be "just tacked on" is absurd. It is a fundamental feature with challenges and limitations that dictates the design of game engines.

Kazyyk and renojonathanr like this.
  20. Brockway

Brockway Pangalactic Porcupine

My servers crashing once or twice is not a big deal for me. in fact i'm not sure why, but when i use starrypy (that is a must have right now) my server hardly-ever crash. But i wish he crash more instead of not even responding and result on people not able to connect.
    Really the problem is not that the server crash for me, my problem is that the server is buggy as hell and dont crash when needed !