1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help [Petition] Please fix Server Stability

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Stadl0r, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Starrypop

Starrypop Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes, please. The multiplayer is near unplayable. I can't enjoy this game if im trying to play on a server and it crashes every 5 minutes and the chat lags to a point where it simply stops loading. Please for the love of god fix this

2. I have been talking with the developers since unstable released to provide all feedback i can, right now there's only this and that need of fixes to the stable update release.
    I can say the stability is better, it's not crashing like it always did since starbound released, lasts more time online without end up lagged, it's processing packets faster what helps into not get easily overloaded....

So i believe MP won't be 100% stable next patch, but it will reach a stage of stability it desperately needed.

3. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is it fixed now?

4. Well while many fixes were made that improved multiplayer. A really Huge New Problem raised that is destroying the server software when you run a server with over 15-20 concurrent players.

Shipworlds on connections, a server can get hugely overloaded, causing freezes for several seconds frequently while it's trying to load BIG Shipworlds (5MB Upload per client with a T5 Ship), what is resulting in severe stability issues that break the server networking, kicking players, unloading worlds/ships, timing out connections, etc...

So sadly i consider this update for our server, worse. Yet i have talked with a developer and improvements to hotfix the ships till there is a real fix for the problem so they don't impact the whole server performance this much.

Let's wait and see. On small servers this won't really be one issue has you don't have several players at same time uploading shipworlds to the server.

5. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is it custom shipworlds or base ones that are causing the problem?

6. Its both. Normal shipworlds upgrades greatly increase their file size, and it has to be uploaded to the server, meaning it ends up overloaded at the end if the server gets many connections around the same time. With our number of player activity it might crash normally 2-4 times in a row because exactly this till it actually can take the stress and start correctly.

Side of that the stability tweaks are noticeable, with the ships fixed on networking concurrency will be really possible without performance sacrifices. ^^

7. Tuliup Man

Tuliup Man Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just a question that I, someone who hasn't hosted a server but instead felt sorry and felt like I should help out, yet I have no idea how one such as I could.

Do you believe that modded shipworlds like the old custom ship mod was less taxing on the server then the new vanilla upgraded ships. This being asked as I would if so go to the measures of using the custom ship mod and ship I used way back when. (If this is still possible that is. o_O) To be honest I liked the Custom ships people had, it added individuality to players.

8. @Tuliup Man it depends on simply, on how big the .shiplworld file of player ends up being, that is what overloads the server because it's uploaded to it.

I am trying to look for actually one +10MB shipworld file to stress test one fix devs are pushing to unstable but can't find any. hm

9. Tuliup Man

Tuliup Man Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Fill a Max Upgraded ship with npcs and moving furniture? also try to use laggy outpost stuff? See if this helps in getting a ship file to 10MB

10. Can't even get 2Mb, i'm really confused what this people do to reach even 20MB files!

11. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Are you sure they're not sending externally edited and/or corrupted files?

12. tails230

tails230 Phantasmal Quasar

I just want to use my IP Address to let one or two of my friends connect to my world.
    Minecraft can do it and Terraria can do it. Why can't Starbound, unless you BUY a server or have to use another program to make one? You shouldn't need one. You just need a static IP.

No Hamachi!

13. They might be messing with mods and custom data scripts that can justify that increase of size. Purely vanilla i saw 6-7MB but never over it.

Dunto likes this.
  14. Snowpup

Snowpup Giant Laser Beams

Um, Starbound can. You see the button on the launcher that says, "Launch Starbound Server"?

Click it.

Errors4l and Dunto like this.
  15. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Well then, have you tried doing multiple logins with the max size ship you can get? If that doesn't trigger it, then you may need to rely on normal admin tools (bans, using whitelist, etc) to prevent those people from joining like you would any other griefer until it gets fixed. (If you don't allow externally edited ships and you can't get vanilla ones to crash it, then somebody's breaking the rules :p )

16. It's usually based on a connection with high pings + big ships can destroy a server, as reported, the server socket keeps open till timeout and server enters on some kind of "denial service" where it doesn't process anything till the socket disconnects. For now, even someone joining the server with the wrong account/password can cause severe performance impact on the server. So it's clearly a severe bug to be fixed, it seems to be already waiting the push to unstable. However devs mentioned a "limit" to how big a player shipworld can be so server can refuse to upload it. :)

RatixFarrence and Dunto like this.
  17. tails230

tails230 Phantasmal Quasar

I did. It doesn't work. I can't even connect to my own hosted server!

18. Kyll

Kyll Orbital Explorer

Please create a separate thread to discuss this issue.

I'm eager to try playing Starbound again with the stability updates. Maybe we'll finally be able to rampa... bring civilisation to planets together!

19. RatixFarrence

RatixFarrence Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I never knew that.... But I had a huuuuuge ship in back in enraged Koala.... I guess not huge enough :)