1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed CURRENT WORK-AROUNDS (Try these if you're having issues!)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mollygos, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Username7

Username7 Void-Bound Voyager

Tried many things to get past the launcher. Final combination of workarounds worked.

Fresh install.
    No admin on any starbound files. (Launcher,opengl,starbound)
    Rename of the opengl file and moving the starbound.exe to a backup folder.
    Disabled Steam overlay.

Actually played for about an hour for the first time since launch day.
    Played a little on launch day but after the first patch couldn't get past the launcher.
    Reinstalled multiple times while trying different combinations of workarounds.

Win7 Pro x64

Could someone explain why moving the main Starbound.exe out of the main folder doesn't break this game?
    I would think it was the core game file. Seems to work a lot better with it out of the directory.

2. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

It might be using starbound_opengl instead.

3. Username7

Username7 Void-Bound Voyager

I just wonder why its even in there in the first place.

Just glad I can finally get a little time in game.
    Of course I got it working right before I have to go to work.

4. gabrielnortiz

gabrielnortiz Space Hobo

I can't open the game at ALL. I press the Play button and I double click the game on Steam but NOTHING happens. Can anyone please help? Also, I'm on LInux.

5. Kitty Kat.

Kitty Kat. Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks, I'll try it. But what do you mean by check if it running? Under processes it said Starbound.exe and so I waited for it to open the window. No such luck.

6. wooyi

wooyi Seal Broken

I'm having trouble with launching,
    It's popping up and it disappears...
    It's been two days and I'm on MacBook Pro OS X Maverick

Adrik likes this.
  7. Bitteredge

Bitteredge Intergalactic Tourist

I had issues when I first installed Starbound on win7 x64 but after some tinkering all seems to be fine.

First of all I had a callstack on clicking launch, this was solved by closing a piece of software called Radeon Pro (used to tweak my graphics card, usually not a problem).
    After getting the game to load it would take a eon to appear and then would take roughly 5 mins on the loading screen, this was solved by turning off my anti virus untill reboot (AVG).
    The last step also helped with ingame fps.

So steps to get rid of these issues for me included:

1. Close Steam completely

2. Open task manger and close all instances of starbound.exe

3. Close all applications that are not necessary to run your machine (for me it was Radeon pro, not to be confused with AMD catalyst).

4. Warning! You will not be protected from malicious threats from files or the internet while this is turned off, so make sure to re-enable it when you are finished playing. Close or temporally disable your antivirus.

5. Right click on the Steam shortcut and select run as administrator.

6. Click Load client as normal (cross fingers and toes).

I hope my experiences help somebody to get playing :)

A big thank you to the devs for what is going to be a great game.

8. JaxxOfAllGames

JaxxOfAllGames Intergalactic Tourist

I have not been able to launch the game at all. I pull up the launcher through Steam, press "Lauch Starbound" and an error comes up after a few seconds. The error says "Access violation detected at 0x298ab481 (Read of address 0x4d431000)", then I press "OK" and then another error message comes up saying "Stack Trace..." then continues on with a bunch of numbers/codes and the locations of some files on my hard drive. Is anyone else having this problem please help

9. Thetis101

Thetis101 Void-Bound Voyager

Try launching as admin.

10. .Hackness

.Hackness Intergalactic Tourist

FOR XP USERS!
    I found this file on a forum. When you replace the default one in the Assets folders, it will let you get pass the Crash on clicking Launch Starbound. It's the only thing I've been able to get the game working. Hopefully it'll help others too.

Attached Files:

• SDL.zip
      File size:
      114.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  11. Platinagamer

Platinagamer Orbital Explorer

i have to say wow making a backup for the original starbound and replace it with the other one fixed everything loading screen super fast. logging in on a character super fast beam up and down from a ship also super fast.
    Now i can play Starbound FOREAL!!!

12. BoR3oY

BoR3oY Space Hobo

I turned off the settings, but not change the FPS. What do I do now?

13. Mizukurai

Mizukurai Poptop Tamer

14. Kiop

Kiop Orbital Explorer

How do I disable the steam overlay?

15. BoR3oY

BoR3oY Space Hobo

Wellp, it still doesn't work .-.

16. Mizukurai

Mizukurai Poptop Tamer

Darn :( the only other things that I did before trying _Sammy_'s fix was I downloaded a C++ upgrade to try to fix the errors and I disabled the steam overlay (if you want to try that). Also, I would post in either that thread or the "crash reports" thread that the fix isn't working for you, give them your specs, ect. ect. so that when the update does come out hopefully they have that fixed.

17. Mizukurai

Mizukurai Poptop Tamer

Go to the "steam" tab, go to "settings" then the "in game" tab and there should be a box that says "enable steam community in game" and uncheck that box.

Kiop likes this.
  18. PinkSide

PinkSide Space Spelunker

Guys, what about Macs? I've got a crash just at the moment i click 'play' on steam. I've got iMac 2008, OS X 10.7.5. Maybe somebody could launch Starbound on Mac?

19. Mizukurai

Mizukurai Poptop Tamer

Currently starbound is not working i believe on 10.7.5 and lower. I forget which OS exactly, but with those operating systems and lower it crashes :( My sister has that same issue and on my Mac laptop it doesn't work either. I haven't heard what progress they are/have made on that yet. :(
    EDIT: this is due to them compiling the game wrong from what I've seen.

20. Adriano-kun

Adriano-kun Space Spelunker

I had the same error. You need to download and open 3D-Analyze, select Starbound.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32 , set on the option "emulate HW TnL caps" and click on Run. Then, in the Task Manager, set Starbound on High Priority.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.