1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Post here if you are an XP user crashing at Chucklefish logo.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Suhr, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alec5h

Alec5h Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Very unhappy with the decision to postpone the update. If anything they should have an update tonight, and then have all future updates be mid-day.

kentelljd and Pingeh like this.
  2. Werezwolf

Werezwolf Space Hobo

Anyone tryed to disable open_gl in the config file?
    For those who have ATI or Intel Graphics i think

3. Kanedork

Kanedork Subatomic Cosmonaut

Jesus, are you guys never pleased? They have a really good reason for not releasing updates at night, and they're piling all of their efforts into making the game better and listening to our issues. Let's be quiet and wait the 12 to 18 hours by doing something else with our lives (which shouldn't be that hard, really, c'mon) and thanking them for their hard work, because they sure as hell deserve it. :/

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Silverforte and Xenoprophet_Nail like this.
  4. Alec5h

Don't mistake my opinion as ungreatful, please. I just feel like even if the problem is only partially fixed, an update at night wouldn't be so out of their way if they have already fixed some of the issues.

kentelljd likes this.
  5. Kanedork

I think that's something only for the developers to know, man.

kentelljd likes this.
  6. Lance Twilight

Lance Twilight Master Chief

When Tiy posted the update saying it was going to be midday tomorrow, it was around 11 PM his time (GMT). If he had put the update up at that time he probably would have had to stay up for at least 2 more hours, for uploading and testing. It makes total sense for him to wait til tomorrow, and it would be out of his way.

Alec5h and kentelljd like this.
  7. Xenoprophet_Nail

Xenoprophet_Nail Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In my opinion It's best to give them time, we don't want them slapping something together in a hurry do we?
    I mean if they rush a patch for Xp it might break another os then the flame wars.. *shudder* I say let them take their time and do it right. *nods*

Odat and kentelljd like this.
  8. Alec5h

I guess you are right... They are scared that they will update it and another big bug will arise while they are asleep... I mean they COULD update it now, and then midday tomorrow again, but I guess they don't feel like doing that.

9. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

It's likely they're holding off to make absolutely sure the update is ready and not just shoe-horn it in and then have to deal with another game breaking bug.

10. Kanedork

Pretty much. Their current changes could be too deep rooted and end up accidentally leaving the game unplayable for the whole player base... or maybe something not that extreme, but I can understand not wanting to run that risk.

Besides, from tomorrow on we'll know exactly the time for each update! Net positive, I'd say.

Alec5h likes this.
  11. Plad

Plad Orbital Explorer

What error are you guys getting? because if i just keep restarting after the error message it starts up but is extremely laggy.

12. Cyriel

Cyriel Pangalactic Porcupine

How do you mean keep restarting ?

13. Corpsie

Corpsie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You've downloaded it, pressed play it didn't work. Did you check the logs and send them to the developers? That's the first step of testing. We were told this would probably happen and we were told how to help.

When it doesn't work, the next step is not to get angry. It is to ask why it is not working. You know your computer, your habits, maybe ask why such an "obvious" XP failure happened. If you have one of two options- choose stupid over evil and react accordingly. (and assume that you're not evil)

14. Silverforte

People need to remember that playing the beta test means you're there to test it. Your primary drive behind doing so is not to selfishly play the game. It's to stress test the game and find bugs so that the developers can eventually get it to a stable, full version. It's naive to go into a beta test and expect to just play the game with no issues.

15. Borndead

Borndead Space Hobo

Utilisateur de WXP au lancement du jeux j'ai eu droit à

-"Access violation detected at 0x77c03509 ( Read of adress 0 )"

-Stack trace
    007D25B0 ( C:/Starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.ccp:16
    77C03509
    77C03C1B
    77C03C60
    00B6193F
    7C91E920

-Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library
    Runtime Error!
    Program ...les\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound.exe

This application has requered the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information

Ca ne marchais pas du tout avant la MAJ et maintenant j'ai ça :( On progresse au moins ?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  16. tggunn

tggunn Space Hobo

:(
    every time i hit launch starbound I am greeted with the error
    access violation detected at 0x77c3330c (read of address 0)
    followed by:

stack trace...
    007D25B0 (C:/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
    77C3330C
    77C3356A
    77C33BF5
    77C3C94
    00B619D0
    BFD00000
    :(

17. Neckio

Neckio Yeah, You!

Oui ca avance, ils devraient envoyer une nouvelle patch demain avec le bon fonctionnement pour XP *doigts croisés* ;)

18. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

Again not to be rude but that issue does not retain to the windows XP launch bug
    If you ask any question besides something about the XP bug you are most likely not going to get an answer
    if you wish to find one please post a separate thread about it or look for a thread about it and post

19. _Sammy_

_Sammy_ Space Spelunker

I tried fixing the crash on startup for XP users, and it works for me.
    Can anybody try downloading this SDL.dll file (attached to this post or here); put it in your starbound folder and tell me if it fixes the crash.
    Please backup your SDL.dll first, since I have no idea if this will work for all of you.

Attached Files:

• SDL.zip
      File size:
      114.7 KB
      Views:
  20. Silverforte

Can someone test that suggestion sammy posted? A person with exactly one post uploading a zip file that size makes me nervous.

Alec5h and Pingeh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.