Character Creation

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Dasaki, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

Since there has been nothing on the character creation process, I'd like to extend some suggestions that might make a more varied character creation process.

Unfortunately, continuing to compare this to Terraria on terms of gameplay, the character creation could be similar, with the same coloring options, and maybe more varied with separate coloring options with more detail to trimmings, decals, and flag/ banners symbols.

A more organized way of doing things...

• Colorization to not only the main parts of the character, but separate coloration to say wiring, pipes, helmet visor, etc.
    • Character Creation not only could be visual, but physical as well, make starting loadouts or style of play characteristics, such as Mass Effect's class system. Of course nothing but the element of early game will be altered.
    • Voice, for the sounds of jumping, getting hurt, and maybe even attacking. I'd really like to see a voice changer a kin to games like Phantasy Star, or Monster Hunter, basically a multitude of voices and a slider to adjust pitch.
    • Jet Pack, or jet boot colorization. Changing colors of all booster and jet pack flames and particles.
    Just a couple of ideas as far as character creation goes, what do you think?

I'll add good ideas of yours below this line.

2. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

I want height added so i can be short fuzzy things, but i think tiy said that would be hard. :c

3. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

Woah, I'm surprised it hadn't been mentioned up until now (I'm also surprised that I didn't think about it, lol). Yes indeed, a good character creation system would be a nice feature, but aside from what you already mentioned, I'm not sure how much more things you could add. Also, they would all be based on appearances, not actual gameplay, as I don't expect to see any levelling/perk system. I guess races are already part of character creation, but I also wish they would add small traits in the form of bonuses. In fact, an option to choose traits for the character would be great. These would grant bonuses such as "+5% melee damage", or other small percentages, and would help to make each character more unique. For instance, you'd be able to choose three traits among a long list of them.

Uxie, AliceTheGorgon and Dasaki like this.
  4. Dasaki

The search didn't bring anything up, so ya I was surprised too, jumped right on it.
    There isn't much you can do with sprites, as everything needs to be reworked for any serious customization to be had. Sprites would be needed for every possible variation of one change.
    It's already been said that Tiyuri has absolutely no plans for expanding the game into RPG aspects.
    Kinda like one other game I play, called Project Zomboid (Alpha). The Survival mode allows you to make a character, first name and last, and customize perks and hindrances. You have allotted points to take some very basic low cost "edges" or things that give you an advantage in your survival, such as quick metabolism, athletic, observant. and then you can take on "hindrances" which adds more points to the total so you can take more edges, things like obese, weak immunity, or something like that. I'd like to see at least that in this game.

I definitely wouldn't mind height as a customizable feature, but again, anything physical would need its very own sprite to go along with it. Meaning each section on the slider would need its own sprite model. A LOT of work, and way too much information on one subject.

Ricky150, TeoTheDriller and Drithyl like this.
  5. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

Hoh, Project Zomboid, way to go! I was actually following up close on that game until recently, I should really try it, one friend of mine did and says it has plenty of potential. Also yes, the system is exactly as I pictured it. It would add so much depth!

6. Derpinstein

Derpinstein Starship Captain

would being a diffrent species effect the whole customisation leading to even more files having to be added

7. Dasaki

It would, so instead of actually BEING those species, maybe, like I mentioned above, make a perks and hindrance system that gives and takes points away, perks can be all kinds of things that other species could have (since everything is pre-generated in a procedural manner, there are probably no set species of animals and aliens), and allow you to take on those abilities at game start.

8. Sherbniz

Sherbniz Phantasmal Quasar

I would certainly love the ability to fully customize your character, and being able to make them into alien an race (dinosaur people, yesss) would be awesome as well!

How about if we could customize our crew members that hang around our starship as well?

Either make them into fellow humans/aliens of your species... or a rag tag group of aliens just trying to get by... it'd be like Mass Effect. :3

9. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

would be cool for the CC to be this in depth, maybe allow the 'humans' to have different ears like lets say elf. nothing weird like dog ears.

10. Bonabopn

Dog ears are not weird! :c

Sherbniz likes this.
  11. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

no but i could see them as an add on later. not in the initial CC

12. Sherbniz

Indeed. :3 Dog ears are awesome!

If you don't like them Frozen, just don't use them! :D

13. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Perhaps there could even be an option to download the main character sprites and make a completely custom character. Though their hit box would still be the same and there may need to be a minimum amount of pixels per sprite, it still would be amazing.

14. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

This Would Mean Square Hitboxes, And, If You've Got a Small Dude, You'll Be Hit Even When The Projectile should Fly Over Your Head. So, In a Word, NO!

15. Sherbniz

Then the general silhouette should probably stay the same.

However, to allow differently sized characters, maybe there could be multiple silhouettes/body types to work from?

A tiny one that has less health and melee power, a medium body which is balanced, a large one with more health, but less speed... etc

16. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

17. Bonabopn

That would mean they have to code in different positions for each visible armour piece, which they probably won't be bothered to do.
    But i really want that idea! D:

18. Quae_116

Quae_116 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For your bonus thing here --> http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/playable-race-suggestions.3618/

19. ZeroHunter

ZeroHunter Subatomic Cosmonaut

That sounds good. But imagine... White-ish skin. poptop cap, yellow eyes, short stature... You got yourself a four armed poptop!

20. Mr.You

Mr.You Void-Bound Voyager

Having different voices would require more work wouldn't it? ( either getting more voice actor or time spent by the dev team, etc)