August 26th - Biomic Enhancement

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Aug 26, 2014.

1. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

metadept submitted a new blog post:

August 26th - Biomic Enhancement

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

artbot345, Dromna, Zael and 21 others like this.
  2. Hells yeah, love to see some calculated choices in the universe. Really digging the idea of sun proximity impacting planet types. Keep up the good work ^^.

Type1Ninja, Calvihern, R_C_A^ and 3 others like this.
  3. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Not quite sure what this means for the post game, clearly you are planning something out for after the campaign. Is terraforming going to be still a thing with this new system included?

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

this is a cool idea

@metadept
    i think it would be a cool idea if you made it so asteroids had no gravity and you NEED the grappleing hook so you dont fly out into space

5. MrHiggle

MrHiggle Existential Complex

Always love me some smaller biomes, never get enough of those small shits.

jamstronaut likes this.
  6. Oh, thought it was a typo of "bionic" at first, and got pretty excited.

This is still pretty interesting though, as I understand it, base biomes such as desert and forest will add more to their arsenal as the planet level increases.

7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Might be a bit much but one could have it coincide with the presence of meteor drops/ showers weather.

8. ARthunder

ARthunder Star Wrangler

i love this keep it up guys i swear every update you put out gets me even more hyped ;)

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. conanthealien

conanthealien Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like this idea, but it seems like it should also have different character orientations so your "down" can change. Don't change actually perspective, but let your character model flip based on if they would be standing on a solid structure(think of Chell's Advanced Knee Replacements/Long Fall Boots from Portal) with a small amount of gravity so you can at least walk. Also, I can just imagine how awesome it would be to travel solely on Jumps, Grapple and the placing of objects in mid-air with the Manipulator.

Titanium and Axe Garian like this.
  10. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

Sounds very nice. :)
    This should also fix situations where someone's starting planet is some sort of horrible hellhole. :p

I'm hoping that some of the biomes also become planet types.
    I'd really like to see a crystal planet, for example. (A whole planet covered in crystal biome!)
    The old soundtrack even has battle music etc. for crystal biomes iirc.

11. jambox5

jambox5 Big Damn Hero

glad to hear the mixing of biomes will be fixed. hated being on a desert planet and stumbling into snow fields.. the planet was set to be desert temp but I was able to access all the pros of a snow planet, so I never actually landed on snow planets

Axe Garian likes this.
  12. Kerlous

Kerlous Aquatic Astronaut

I sincerely wish that this idea was functioning at 100%

Dembai and Hatsya Souji like this.
  13. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Now I wait for a Heck Planet (which is Bloodstone planet with VitSotU mod installed), and reenact the feeling of raiding Alien Zone (Contra)

14. Atheon

Atheon Orbital Explorer

Nice! Now the only thing I would like is some way to save the planet coordinates IN game, that would be awesome. Like a shareable general Notepad, for all your needs (and shareable with others players too)!

15. neosuduno

neosuduno Aquatic Astronaut

Personally, I am still waiting on the ship update, and sadly have sworn off Starbound until we get it. It has been over a year since it was announced, and this wait is getting ridiculous.

16. chubchubrecon

chubchubrecon Void-Bound Voyager

I'm so happy about this! but please Make mobs match their planets! No more fluffy snow monsters on desert planets!

17. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Well, keep in mind that being closer to the sun doesn't translate into being hotter.

Venus is hotter than Mercury because of its atmosphere keeping all the heat inside.

And Uranus is colder than Neptune because its rotation got fixed to the sun, and its core went cold.

So it'll be a bit closer to scientific accuracy if atmosphere, size, rotation and core were taken into account. A very cloudy planet could get hotter, a small planet with no lava core could get colder.

18. Daldril

Daldril Subatomic Cosmonaut

Especialy like the last sentence!

19. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah!! Starbound gets even cooler =3.

20. saberopus

saberopus Void-Bound Voyager

Seems like it would be cool if the ability to discover planets with new biomes wasn't limited by armor tier... wouldn't it be more fun to discover a planet that is too hostile for your current kit, and have to then work to discover/unlock/craft your snow armor? oxygen tank? etc?

I get that these things need to be gated and paced in certain ways, but it would feel less artificial, less of a guided path, if it's just your inability to survive that's literally keeping you from exploring a planet, instead of not being able to even discover it because you don't have that gear yet.

"explore at your own peril" would really make the universe feel accessible, but dangerous, I think. I can imagine a scenario where I have no snow armor, but I teleport to the surface and can survive juuuuust long enough to grab this or that, accomplish some goal, before needing to return to ship.

a small point! the main thing to be excited about is the presence of the biomes/planets themselves, and I certainly am.