August 26th - Biomic Enhancement

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

I think the camera should change. At 90 degree angles.

Think the Gravity potion from Terraria 1.2, except you can also fall left and right.

The disorientation would help give that zero gravity feel.

2. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

hmm, so biome based difficulty? sorry i'm late, its been quiet awhile. Anyway i'll just toss my two cents.

I believe the new system of difficulty shouldn't be restrictive, if the player wants to actually risk being obliterated, especially on permadeath, they'll learn on their own. I think this is mainly because players at the time were able to find loopholes around higher tier planets (Ex. as soon as i entered section X, i went to a level 10 planet and mined for all the ores i could find with my platinum drill, including diamond, rubium, solarium, etc. Then i'd just go back and skip each odd number difficulty level since the particular ore i need was always abundant. my only task was to avoid the enemies, which i could do by blocking them in and hiding, easy).

I think with the new AI being able to counter our tricks is would actually result in those ideas being more risky.

In any event, instead of locking down each planet based on its "tiered biome" instead just keep it that the threat level of the planet is just that risky based on weather based on the environment. For example. Take a tier 8 magma planet, instead of just lava and hardstone everywhere
    • There is very little land and alot of lava pools that can burn any other material not native (so you can't place dirt block everywhere to cover up as they would be destroyed or dislodged)
    • Wildlife is not only bigger and more aggressive, but are immune to the planet lava, in fact, it gives them a boost in offensive abilities by burn to the touch or being able to spew actual lava at the player
    • There are environmental weather events such as fireballs raining from the sky that break player placed items
    • There is lava in the background wall that can seep into the foreground that can kill the player (if they are not equipped)
    • (Experimental): There is an power storm that interferes with your ability to teleport back to your ship without the proper upgrades to resist it, if it does happen, the player will have to wait out the storm, alone with avoiding random lighting strikes.
    All i'm saying is, let the player decide for themselves, but make them realize that going out to an incredibly hostile environment is a bad idea without that gear or preparation.

3. Splignarth

Splignarth Orbital Explorer

Honestly not trying to be a pest--if somebody could direct me to a more appropriate place for this post, please do so.

I seem to remember being told that the non-beta, "official release" version was "just around the corner" back when I purchased this in January of 2014.

Are you guys working from a timeline or are your paying customers simply at your mercy?

Has a release date been announced?

I haven't gotten a clear answer on any of these questions yet, and am just trying to find out why this process has been so infuriatingly protracted.

I like your product, but your customer service is seriously outmoded and discourteous.

It's as if you guys are indifferent.

4. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

Well, seeing as it's in the Nightlies, I'd say, play away.[DOUBLEPOST=1409164881][/DOUBLEPOST]
    1. #valvetime2014
    2. Timeline
    3. Nope, since bugs are always prevalent. Technically speaking, a game can never really be out of Beta, ever.
    4. That's because they work on the game from 9 to 5 for five days of the week.

5. Starbug

Starbug Guest

He is wrong to compare a self funded AAA development with a crowd funded indie development. Two different beasts entirely. When an AAA developer ships a game you have a choice to buy or not to buy. They are the ones taking a risk investing in the game. With Early Access the risk is more on the buyers than the developers. I mean financial risk, not critical reception risk ;)

6. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Maybe these variables can also fit into what kind of, say, aerial life appears.

On a planet with a dense atmosphere, floating around with gas bladders and membranes might actually be easier than wings. I think it'd be interesting.

[​IMG]

Maybe hang-gliders could, in the future, work better than jetpacks on some supertree planets with heavy atmosphere.

conanthealien and Starbug like this.
  7. moddownloader

moddownloader Phantasmal Quasar

misread the title as terraforming

8. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

I wasnt talking about THAT part, i meant everything else.[DOUBLEPOST=1409176649][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Your profile pic goes so well whit that comment. xD

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Starbug likes this.
  9. TheGlitchKing

TheGlitchKing Subatomic Cosmonaut

Good point, although it would be great to have some other variables for planets besides heat, cold and presence of breathable air, such as: massive gravity, and therefore pressure-requires strong "exoskeleton" of some special type of armor in order to not be crushed, noxious vapors and /or chlorine-like gases that would burn skin-requires breathing mask or air tank or air bubble(depending on strength of vapors), and/or protective suits of varying degrees, or extreme UV radiation(like on moons or planets near the sun), requires(depending on level of UV rays) Super-powerful sunscreen, or various levels of UV-resistant suits.​

Type1Ninja likes this.
  10. GLARE

GLARE Scruffy Nerf-Herder

(At part 1) Oh, okay, sorry for that mistake, but, still, when there is a stable update, there is an UNSTABLE prior to it, so I thought I wouldn't have to state it.

(At Part 2) Okay, then, that sums up a fair amount for me.

Thanks.

11. conanthealien

conanthealien Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wouldn't 1/week or 1/month STABLE updates require them to stop REAL dev-time0 temporarily just to make the "current" version, well, stable? It takes a lot of time to make things ready for a wide release like that, as can be seen in the huge amount of time it takes, say, Minecraft to just go through the Pre-Release stages(which can take weeks by themselves), even after finishing balance tweaks. This is time that could be better used making new or tweaking old stuff for the final release. If you asked them for a Stable version even every month, that would cut out weeks upon weeks – perhaps stretching into months – of real development time.

What we have instead is effectively nonstop coding and building of the game, without pausing to make it "presentable" every five steps they make. If you think back, most of Minecraft's history has been like this. Before 1.0 they rarely released "stable" version and if you wanted the most recent goodies you had to play in the constantly updated version. Now they only release full new version after a complete development cycle, and again for new stuff you need dev versions.

Chucklefish's real problem is that they don't communicate as well as Mojang did with their user/playtester base(possibly until just recently?) and their continual updates aren't as visible. The first seems to be getting better(I think?) but the second, as long as they keep their current update model, will leave two groups based on whether they play stable or unstable. If you want to try new things, play unstable. If you want them AND want them in stable, you're out of luck for a while...

12. Heke0

Heke0 Void-Bound Voyager

When I realised this wasn't about bionic enhancements, I was kinda disappointed at first, but then I got excited about the new biomic enhancements!
    Sounds like progression will be getting a nice amount of depth to it.

13. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Good update.

14. Frostfall

Frostfall Big Damn Hero

Most excellent update! I look forward to the new biome system although I will miss watching fire rain down from the sky and melt the snow right next to a lava biome. I just hid somewhere and let the weather mine for me :p

15. Psycho Hyena

Psycho Hyena Phantasmal Quasar

I thought this stuff was always the plan? At least heat mechanics are apparently back on the table.

16. Zhaligkeer

Zhaligkeer Aquatic Astronaut

how are the ocean planets coming?