August 26th - Biomic Enhancement

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Cgeta

Cgeta Pangalactic Porcupine

Oooh, neat! More variation and difficulties when traveling planets!
    I hope that you'll also add buildable protection so that players can life there without having to wear special suits all the time! Maybe a while after the player got what they need for it though.

jamstronaut and Axe Garian like this.
  2. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Last I heard, this was planned for implementation later down the road. Hope that hasn't changed since then & hope it's not a memory error on my part.

Question for Metadept: Will ya also address weird stuff like being above the Planet's Atmosphere & yet still having Acid Rain rain down upon you from ABOVE? :p

Dembai likes this.
  3. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Say, what if there's a habitable planet close to a blue giant star? (for example the Iota Orionis / Hatsya quadruple star system), how will Starbound's planetary generation will be, if there's a less chance to have goldilocks zone on blue giant star systems?

MithranArkanere and Axe Garian like this.
  4. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

...Treasure biomes? :megusta:

Out of curiousity, would it be possible to make the background swap by biome as opposed to by planet? It irritates me to be in a snow biome... with flowing magma in the background.

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. THE_____

THE_____ Phantasmal Quasar

I think these planets should not have breathable atmospheres and since the devs are implementing new status effects (one of which is overheating), realistic worlds can be made possible. I just hope that birds will be non existent in asteroid fields.

6. Ignify

Ignify Phantasmal Quasar

Hot planets are in closer proximity to their suns? Sweet, I've been waiting for that! :D

Axe Garian and SeaMichelle like this.
  7. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

YES!!
    Cooooool, planet temperatures correspond to their relative distance from the system's sun! That's awesome =O
    I also have to say, I like the metroidvania style you're going for. It gives some meaning to biomes when we have to unlock them.

8. Zerbyte

Zerbyte Title Not Found

I can't wait to see this stuff! Waiting for a stable build though :)

KeesDeNeger and Hatsya Souji like this.
  9. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Once again,

About dam time!

Metadept strikes again with obvious improvements of obvious awesomeness.

Enzencho and Axe Garian like this.
  10. clasgutr

clasgutr Void-Bound Voyager

Do we have an ETA on when any of these changes will be implemented into the main branch? Do you guys hop from task to task without ever just 'finishing' one thing. Why are none of these features put into the base game yet?

11. Shawnx17

Shawnx17 Big Damn Hero

This looks awesome when can we get this update you guys havent updated the regular version in a while

12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Really glad to see this. I was actually mulling over this last night while bouncing from planet to planet and hitting snow worlds in spitting distance of the big suns and just kinda going... huh.

I'd rambled about some biome additions/changes/problems on my Tumblr (which apparently I can't link to yet but look up "Sipher Says Stuff" there and search for Starbound), but I'll re-paste the bullet-list of things I'd really like to see here...

All Biomes: ”Exclusive” ores, fuels and farmables. Variety is the spice of life. The Rainbow Trees and Neonmelons only being on some Desert planets is the kind of thing I’m talking about. More of that! I want molten-hot apples from Magma planets, dazzling alien sapphire from Ice planets, strange high-octane fuels mined from Asteroids. The more dangerous the biome, the richer the reward.
    Also, change how the terrain effects your movement. Tar fields and loose sand should slow you down some. Ice should have a little slip to it.

Magma & Volcano: Make ‘em lively! Throw in some endless lava flows that feed into deep pools, see what kind of trouble people can get into by trying to redirect the flow. Magma geysers, clouds of hot gas and ashy smoke that obscure vision and maybe do minor heat damage if you try and wade through a particularly thick pillar of it. The occasional painful flaming rock rain. Earthquakes? A little platformer sensibility. Obviously, Volcano would me much more active in its eruptions than Magma.

Asteroid: Gravity? What’s that? This may be a tough one to implement, but I love the idea of free-floating in the asteroid fields… and virtually no maneuverability unless you’re wearing a jetpack or have the Bubble Boost/Butterfly Boost Tech installed, which carries the risk of making you pinball around.

Tentacle: I feel like this one should be an actively hostile environment. Some of those big tentacles sprouting out of the ground should whip at you or try and make a grab for you. Maybe even erupt from the ground if you get too close, doing damage and knocking you back. And if earthquakes can be implemented, definitely have them feature. The implication is that the tentacles are sprouting up from the core to consume the world and choke the life out of it, let’s make it apocalyptic! (Wrecked villages and houses would also be a neat addition to this biome.)

Just me tossing out ideas. Some of these can also apply to other Biomes; I wouldn’t mind seeing, say, large non-sentient carnivorous plants waiting for an adventurer to lurk too closely in the Jungle biome.

13. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Or the underground "Mini" (the faded walls) biome will have mouse-kettiers actually attacking you for being in their space.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Yay finally.

15. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

Does this mean i'm never going to find a threat level 10 jungle or forest to build on again?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo
    asdk
    afksfa;
    dfk
    sd;
    worst decision ever... I really enjoy building but i like the protection of a threat level ten auto pvp planet to build on. the forest and jungle i enjoy because of their biomes, plantlife, sounds and weather,, it would suck if there are only level 1 forests everywhere. :( :( :( :( :( :( ugh this is the stupidest thing.....

what are you guys talking about 'this makes more sense' how many planets have u visited with lifeforms...... ? ............. ya ........[DOUBLEPOST=1409098884][/DOUBLEPOST]
    FOr sure... who wants a shitty easy game with no challenges or things to discover?

seems the game is becomming tooo linear now.

16. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Lol seriously. Just because FOREST specifically has no threat 10 versions of it doesnt mean that you can complain because it isnt completely convenient to you at this exact moment. Just get a threat 10 volcanic moon or something then terraform it if you want a forest that bad.

17. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

• USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST. Reason: Being a Jerk. Expires: 1 Month

umm there is going to be less variety now. and limited options[DOUBLEPOST=1409099132][/DOUBLEPOST]
    sorry i guess this game is only for certian people and my opinion dosent count,

:V

Did u not read anything i wrot!?... i dont like the looks of those planets...

PS: your an asshole. face it[DOUBLEPOST=1409099388][/DOUBLEPOST]

what a douchey thing to say.... BUT GUESS what asshole. i'm not the only one who agrees.

5:26 PM - Helix1111: the new update is going to SUCK.
    5:26 PM - []VxL[]Chaos: ?????
    5:26 PM - Helix1111: there will be no threat level 10 forests or jungles
    5:26 PM - Helix1111: :( :( :( :(
    5:27 PM - []VxL[]Chaos: WAT
    5:26 PM - Helix1111: i only like to build on those planets
    5:27 PM - []VxL[]Chaos: WHY NOT???
    5:27 PM - Helix1111: because 'it makes sense'
    5:27 PM - []VxL[]Chaos: what else
    5:27 PM - Helix1111: the only threat level 10 planets are going to be the stupid volcano type ect.
    5:27 PM - Helix1111: since there is no sectors in the new update
    5:27 PM - []VxL[]Chaos: oh
    5:27 PM - Helix1111: they need to make some kinda planetary progression.
    5:27 PM - Helix1111: and this is their solution...
    5:27 PM - Helix1111: THE WORST
    5:27 PM - Helix1111: i like the protection of auto pvp
    5:28 PM - []VxL[]Chaos: agreed
    5:27 PM - Helix1111: and strong monsters
    5:27 PM - Helix1111: this is the dubest
    5:28 PM - []VxL[]Chaos: time to get used to building on lava
    5:28 PM - Helix1111: i wish i could get a refund
    5:28 PM - Helix1111: :(
    5:28 PM - Helix1111: no its not gonna happen.[DOUBLEPOST=1409099606][/DOUBLEPOST]gah this is so lame for BUILDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its like an artform , creating and building and designing a city...... you choose your favorite pieces, colors, brushes and goto work right? well i liked forest and jungles, what if i want a protected auto pvp forst city? GAHHHHHHHHHHHH this is the worst news of the day

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  18. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

Please calm down and quit double-posting.

In case you missed this part:
    Also, please point out to me where exactly he says that Jungles and Forests won't appear in Threat 10 planet generation. I believe you are overreacting to an update that isn't even out yet.

19. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I really hope this isn't a "Force Lockout" - where you can't enter the planet without the equipment.
    That would simply be annoying.

The system should be in such a way the enviromental protection augments give you a much higher survivability rate when you use it on said planets. I should be able to enter an ocean planet without diving gear. After all I can swim, I may not be able to swim to the depths of the ocean where some secret ocean temple is - but at least I am able to roam the surface.

Or a Magma planet I should be able to run around. I may die pretty quickly without the proper gear, but I can still try to hop my way through - but would have no hope of going deeper underground.

etc.

20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]

Type1Ninja, Kawa and Dembai like this.