August 26th - Biomic Enhancement

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Worldcrafter

Worldcrafter Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am always excited to see new environments and places to explore, and I'm rather fond of the notion of "research to get there," provided that it does require some time and effort. I do have a few questions pertaining to the new system. Will there still be a visible threat level associated with planets, or is it going be an unspoken understanding that "X Biome = X Threat?" Furthermore, whether the rating is visible or not, are you staying with the 10 tiers of difficulty that current stable has? Are tier 10 planets still going to be our goal for end-game exploration?

Also, I'm still holding out for a "boss biome" planet - where all of the normal monsters are replaced with tier-10 mini-boss monsters, and any random mini-boss encounters are instead supplied with ramped up bosses.

2. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

Yay! Biome logic! I am going to miss some of the more exotic combos though, like the forest-lava biome-minibiome combination (my favorite). But it would be nice to have a better reasoned planet generating system in place! Also, I hope the planet colors will match the groundmod/grass and tree/foliage colors instead of just the dirt and water. If Earth were in Starbound, it would look brown and blue instead of green and blue with a little bit of brown... And that change would also make the solar systems look more colorful and better varied.

3. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

That sounds grrrrreat!
    About asteroids, you know what bothered me? That i couldn't just "walk around a single rock". You know, like, in Mario Galaxy or something? They should have a small gravity field, yeah, but probably doing it for ALL of them and also making it editable as you dig and place blocks... Yeah, too much work.

I'd just like an workaround on the reaching bottom of the map part on the asteroids. Not sure if i just die or get stuck.

4. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Every update is so awesome I can't wait for the full release. I'm just playing the beta with some mods now but I'm not going into the nightly updates, at this point I'm just waiting out all the awesomeness until release and it is very, very painful.

5. TheGlitchKing

TheGlitchKing Subatomic Cosmonaut

How many tiers would this make? one for cold planets, one for airless planets/asteroid fields. and then... what? Unless you plan to add new biomes(which would be awesome), then you're really only going to have 3 tiers. You could have 4 tiers if you added a way for your heat to get too high, so you would need a space suit or some type of cooling system to stand it, but still, that's not a lot of tiers.

6. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

I am really happy about the fact that at last we go in the direction of making planets really differ. so far, aside from aesthetics, it was much more about gathering biome-specific set of furniture rather than exploration, with associated risks.

Hopefully though, the extreme climate planets will be also different from each other in terms of severity of climate. I wouldn't mind if some tundra planet would require merely a set of warm clothing, but I also would like planets that would be nearly completely unexplorable without highest tier heated environmental suits and occasional additional heater/fire/cup of hot cocoa/whatever. Same with lava biomes - without proper fire-resistant suit and a batch of cold drinks to ease the sweating, an explorer who simply landed in breezy underwear should be made aware it's not enough. With navigation computer indicating that the cold/heat is extreme.

I am quite sure that the whole thing could be made more fluid - after all there are different tiers of armors and many piece so equipment outside of racial designs. I am sure that temperature could also have quite many ranges - say, just hot requiring very light clothing, some drink and a shade, very hot where you have to have proper fire-resistant clothing and scorching where you need proper fire-resistant self-contained armor (maybe even with things in between where equipment of previous 'tier' is enough provided you also have enough buff items to withstand the climate).

But yeah, more biomes would be nice. I hope for stuff like atmosphere which is corrosive to some types of armor or radioactive planets.

TheGlitchKing likes this.
  7. MariSama

MariSama Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sooooo, any news on the biomes (grass, vines and underbrush) GROWING BACK after you destroy the ground?

Seriously, this is the only feature I've been on the edge of my seat for and I haven't heard a peep from the developers. I know it sounds stupid but it really adds realism and helps us architects and gardeners beautify our bases much easier. And it's such a basic mechanic, it should have already been implemented IMO. Really, how hard is it?

8. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Why? Because months isnt enough. xD

9. Prop

Prop Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ah good, It was pretty strange to see a giant ice planet directly next to a giant star.

10. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Tall grass? I HATE tall grass! :mad:
    How DARE you mention the ugly stuff! You want it even worse than Minecraft - where my FRIENDS use BONE MEAL on the GROUND to put MORE tall grass down! :fireball:
    You want it to be REGENERATING? AAAAAAARGH
    //A Joke

That would be actually pretty cool. More vines! :D
    However, I do actually dislike tall grass... It clutters up my lawn, so when I remove it to make my lawn nice and perfectly flat, I get SEEDS... and I HATE SEEDS!
    So I break it as fast as possible. :p

Starbound isn't as bad, though, as the "tall grass" looks better, and drops something that isn't SEEDS, and it doesn't get in the way so much. :)

11. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

You asked for a stable version in your first post, not an unstable one. Stable versions are basically complete updates that have been moderately bug-tested and are ready for public release. Unstable ones are untested versions that may or may not work and contain way too many bugs and irregularities to be released for public yet - the reason why these are released are so that the impatient people may get a feeling of what's to come, as well as to help the devs.

Also, what makes you think that they have to release a stable version every few months? Decent AAA game nowadays needs at least 3 years in the making to come out anything good and most of those big companies don't usually bother with informing us about every tiny little thing they do... neither do they release stable versions every once in a while. The Chucklefish dev team is no longer taking pea-shots with this game. They decided to prep it all up for a 1.0 version, or close to that, and that obviously takes time.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    Scival likes this.
  12. Starbug

Starbug Guest

AAA developers fund their own games. Early Access / crowdfunded game developers would be wise to consult and involve the players more than AAA developers. Just saying :)

Look forward to the next update. Hope it's not 1.0!

Arkitech likes this.
  13. Dromna

Dromna Aquatic Astronaut

Ooooh Oooooh Can we please have other factors like star color and size factor in too? In relation to what kinds of planets are around them and how close/hot/cold?

And could we change the asteroid field picture to one that fills the whole of its orbit, as is realistic (except for paired trojans, but those aren't in)

For the rest of the factors others have mentioned, it seems most reasonable to just correlate size, atmosphere, and temperature and program in minor variation so that the closer - warmer thing doesn't always hold true for planets close to each other in orbital distance.

14. Lintton

Lintton Guest

You mean like a huge sky full of rocks? That would be awesome.

Dromna likes this.
  15. Dromna

Dromna Aquatic Astronaut

Hmmm, more like the same kind of asteroid texture just in a ring around the main planet (so a band in the sky above the main planet, a ring around the main on others)
    Or if the the orbit only contains asteroid fields, the solar system map replaces the planet with asteroids spread out along the orbit.
    Maybe a thicker region for selection if they don't want to make the whole orbit selectable.

16. Burgerkrieg

Burgerkrieg Void-Bound Voyager

Tbh, I'm a wee bit concerned when you say that players will be ablo to explore higher-tier worlds as they progress through the game. Does this mean I cannot, hypothetically, go on a super-endgame level 101 world when I'm level 1? Because I would not like that at all.

17. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Could'nt have said it better.

18. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Progression suggests you will have to repair you ship's FTL drive at least. I would like to know if they are planning to ease the restrictions provided by the damaged ship for permadeath players, so that they can test themselves on a random environment.

19. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I'd love to be a Biomic Commando...

...Sorry I'm late...

Kawa likes this.
  20. lordbociek

lordbociek Pangalactic Porcupine

Hi all , first of all , please forgive me , my english ,
    about those daily updates- are they truly what you say ? - coz im observing those updates for very long time - and never i heard/read , here that something was done 100% - its ok - i did read for example somebody worked on tahat or that - but - i do not know if something you worked about 6 month ago got finished - or you are starting to work on somethig new, and abandon it half-finished -coz it got boring -to work for something else that suits your imagination that moment - the basic question of mine is - are something 100% finished of the dayly updates of yours ? - this is not flaming post - i respect everyone - and i also want to be respected -

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014