August 26th - Biomic Enhancement

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Entomoligist

Entomoligist Big Damn Hero

Awesome, the hot lava near ice trees kinda thing bugs me SOOOOO much! And the planets being hotter closer to their stars, and planets colder outside their system- WAY BUGGING ME!!!!!!!

2. GLARE

GLARE Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can you please just send out a Stable branch, sometime this or next month? You haven't sent one out since April, that's around four months before this post.

3. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

hes talking about micro biomes
    (Flower, Flesh, Rainbow, Rust, Crystal, Ice, Bone,Sandstone)

stuff like that

4. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Phantasmal Quasar

Are asteroids still going to be vaccuum? And are you going to implement actual breathing masks/oxygen tanks, instead of the force field thing currently in use [unless you've changed this recently]? I don't see why we would need heated clothes if we already have a force field that can project breathable air around us, so it would make the most sense to ditch that.

KeesDeNeger and Axe Garian like this.
  5. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Whoa there.
    WHOA THERE
    SLOW DOWN BRO.
    Someone said the UNSTABLE branch has a possiblity of perhaps be in somewhere about a month, and thats the unstable.
    Take your hand/hoof/paw/buttonpressingdevice off the FTL drive there... thats a bit too quick.

Coding is slow. Deal whit it.

6. Noitca

Noitca Void-Bound Voyager

While I agree with Scival, that things shouldn't be rushed, I am admitently getting a little impatient myself because I am really exited to see whats coming in the stable branch(I play on servers with friends so no nightly builds for me), hehe, I want to upgrade my ship most of all and id really love to give the liquid gun a go and be able to find a chain saw and a glich mech. and, I want to be able to edit the guns on my human mech too! but MOSt of all, keep the updates coming! I look for them everyday and I love to read them! ;)

GLARE and jamstronaut like this.
  7. clasgutr

clasgutr Void-Bound Voyager

It isn't that slow. When other indie devs push out updates once a week or even more frequently, Chucklefish really has no legitimate excuse for not having a more recent stable update. The last update that added content was really in February. And it included a bunch of reskinned objects for valentines day - nothing very extensive.

I think we're all wondering what happens to the code they apparently work on and tell us about, for it to then disappear into the wood works like they didn't even start it yet. Why not just work on on thing and push the update out? We want to test new content in the stable branch - this is the purpose of a beta - to test content.

It seems like the developers have forgotten this fact and are not allowing the backers of this project to test any new stuff. It should definitely not be taking this long

8. Noitca

Noitca Void-Bound Voyager

Chucklefish has a reputation to keep, they cant just release something that's not solid, also scince its a steam game and most of the purchases have most likely been on steam, they expect it to be solid.

Dembai and Axe Garian like this.
  9. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

If we could drop the heated clothes into the Vanity Armor slots and have them actually KEEP the heat stats (I'm fine with the Armor/Energy stats not applying, so we can't double-up on Impervium and whatnot), that'd be fantastic. All the life-saving armor of our normal gear with the added bonus of extra heat. I'm fine with changing my visuals to the Hoth-lookin' gear in those instances, and would rather like to tool around in a space suit with the same heat stats.

(I JUST tried that, first time the idea hit me since I started playing. Nope. Weak armor that was too cold in space with heated armor over it did nothing... except get me killed by a lightning-bird.)

I stopped exploring Moons and Asteroids long ago because for the longest time the only gear hot enough was also as durable as wet tissue paper at the levels of loot I wanted, and I could mine ore SO much easier elsewhere, so rather than be dead mulch spacewalkin'... off to the sunny sands.

conanthealien and jamstronaut like this.
  10. clasgutr

clasgutr Void-Bound Voyager

This is exacltly what they arent doing -- keeping a good reputation... By delaying the update of their game and not pushing out beta content they have alienated a significant portion of their playerbase. you can readily see this in the steam reviews and player stats pages - the game started out exciting and new, and now no one is interested.

They've already released something that's "not solid" and the majority of people who aren't diehard fans have walked away from the game due to its' lackluster content. Their refusal to accept refunds for a half baked beta are testament to this.
    If they really want to bolster their reputation, they need to come out with a stable update which includes some of the things they've been talking about. Until then, these blog posts are nothing but empty words.

11. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I was just brain storming for some time - about a reasonable progression system for "Biome protection"

Forest \ Jungle [ Poison ] -
    Early Game -
    • Tribal Medicine [ Decreases Poisson damage taken by 10% - non stacking ]Cannot be made in early game - must be bought. Can be made mid game.

Mid Game -
    • Weak Anti Poison Serum - [ Decreases poison damage by 20% - non stacking ]Cannot be made mid game - can be made late game

Late Game -
    • Strong Anti Poison Serum - [ Decreases poison damage by 35% - non stacking ] Can be bought and made [ must find recipe ]
    • Secret Floran Formula - [ Decreases Poison damage by 50% - non stacking ]
    • Can be bought - can only be made by Floran after finding recipe.

Ocean Planet \ Large Bodies of Water

Early Game
    • Air Sac - Bought by merchants, found by luck through hunting - [ Provides 5 seconds of air - cool down 15 seconds ]

Mid Game
    • Rebreather - uses oxygen tanks which provide 20 seconds of air. Expensive
    • Oxygen Tanks - bought from merchants - single use. Provides 20 seconds of air. Can only be made late game.

Late Game
    • Deep diving Suit - provides 45 seconds of air per oxygen tank. Moves slowly.
    • Submarine - Provides 2 minutes of air per oxygen tank - moves quickly - extremely expensive late game item.
    • Hyotyl - Diving Suit - can be bought from merchants. Single use - can only be crafted by hyotyl. Move quickly under water and get 60 seconds of air.

===
    Anyway something along these lines.
    That way you can still go to the biome - but as the game progresses you can survive much longer and much easier. Each race has a specific advantage in each biome
    • Floran - Poison
    • Hyotyl - Water
    • Glitch - Hot planets
    • Nova kids - Low oxygen planets
    • Apex - Cold Planets
    • Avian - Planets where movement speed is slowed
    • Human - No distinct advantage

Shakaron and Cowboy Bebop like this.
  12. Dembai

Dembai Void-Bound Voyager

I like the sensible aspect of planets being hot near the star and cold towards the outside of the system.

I['m also glad that you don't have to deal with the nonsense of starting on an impossible world. Seriously, the last time I played stable, I started on a planet with high gravity, acid pools, acid rain every 5 minutes AND METEORS. :chrono:

Axe Garian and Type1Ninja like this.
  13. Tazmaniac95

Tazmaniac95 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Fixed it :p

14. Kergami

Kergami Title Not Found

So with this quote would it be possible to somehow read if someone on a lower tier is on someone's ship that is available to travel to higher tier planets? Maybe have the ship ask "Are you sure you want to travel there? It may be a bit dangerous for 'Player X'" Or you could totally disallow that ship to travel based off of the tier of the lower tier player.

This would prevent people that are at lower tiers advance super fast and getting ores that they are not yet suppose to be able to get!

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Hiring Metadept was one of the best moves Chucklefish has made so far.

16. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

it seems from looking in the nightly files the hazards that will mostlikey stop people from teliporting to the surface are

no oxygen (moons, asteroids)
    extreme freezing (tundra, arctic) mostlily
    extreme heat (volcano, magma) propley
    radiation (volcano and or planets with poisonwater)
    biohazard (tentacle) mostliky
    caution (unknown)
    icons found in interface/cockpit/hazard

spoilers for people not playing nightlys

conanthealien likes this.
  17. Lloyd Larsen

Lloyd Larsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awesome ! Thanks for your work. :D

18. GLARE

GLARE Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How, exactly, is asking for a new Stable/Unstable branch, when there hasn't been one in months, "a bit too quick"?

19. conanthealien

conanthealien Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm thinking the individual biomes will still be appearing, but they'll appear around the same time tha you should be getting the upgrades to explore the planets. Right now during early stages you can come across super-hostile biomes(e.g. Asteroid Field) at any time, well before you get the ability to explore them. What it sounds like will be happening is, when you start picking up the ores to get the Life Support Systems you need, that's when those super-hostile biomes start appearing as well. It will both close off the entirely inaccessible places, while encouraging players to explore more wheere they can be exploring at all.

20. davidlolcat

davidlolcat Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Some of it seems logical, but I don't want to get to max level and only be able to explore lava planets to get good stuff though. So maybe a percentage thingy? Where % of lava planets are harder than equivalent other types. Idk.

I like what saveropus said. Don't over limit the ability to push yourself where you probably shouldn't be. The danger is part of the fun :)