1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Hull Plating Blocks & More 35.0 (Concrete Tileset)

Blocks that resemble parts from ship backgrounds, plus some other odds and ends.

1. simulatoralive

simulatoralive Existential Complex

I used that mod briefly, but didn't like it. I wanted something more along the lines of the Super Magic Custom Island. Took a peek at the art, however. That press looks like a piece of mining equipment, for processing ore.

I know the rights on Madtulip's mod. They're too restrictive and from what I'm told, Madtulip is quite hard to reach (this was from a guy that works on the mod with him). Not even worth asking, in my opinion, just to maybe get an answer a few weeks or longer down the road. I was more asking for a suggestion on vanilla Starbound art to modify, or if someone wants to, they can donate art for me to modify and/or cut and paste from.

How about an alternative to making new crafting stations for the blocks: I'm thinking of shuffling them around a bit to spread them more evenly between the existing vanilla crafting stations. For example, I could make sure blocks are always made at the same crafting station as the matching furniture. I know I've got some of them being made in strange places. I've been thinking of doing this with the Rubium, Aegisalt, Violium, Cerulium, Ferozium and Impervium blocks, anyway. It's a little strange that they're made at a Crafting Table. I just got slightly lazy when I added them. There may be others I could shuffle around, as well. Perhaps drop the more primitive ones on the Anvil, like copper, iron, silver, gold and platinum, since they're all relatively soft metals, at least compared to the others.

I'm definitely making a crafting station for the non-racial storage lockers, since there's hundreds of them. I just don't know what to call it or what it should look like, just yet. A good name is really all I need, because a useful concept is often suggested by a good name. I can bash something together from there, if needs be.

2. Sir_Puddles

Sir_Puddles Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Storage Locker Designer", maybe? I think you could use either the robotic crafting table or the pixel compressor/conveyor belt thing that I can't immediately remember the name of, for the art?

3. simulatoralive

simulatoralive updated Hull Plating Blocks & More with a new update entry:

Redistibuted Many Block Recipes to Different Stations

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  4. simulatoralive

Finished Moving Recipes For Now

Read the rest of this update entry...[DOUBLEPOST=1446908308][/DOUBLEPOST]I've been thinking about the racial blocks. There's quite a number of them and they can be made anywhere from pixels. Then, there's the extra bits made from those blocks, such as trim and platforms.

All of these show up in the lists for crafting tables.

I'm thinking I should shuffle the extra bits to the anvil, like I've done with most of the ore blocks.

What do you think?

I'm not going to do this immediately, because I'd like to give people some time to share their opinions first.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  5. ScreamingCommie

ScreamingCommie Void-Bound Voyager

6. simulatoralive

No. That's my final answer.

I asked for more justification than just de-cluttering before I did something I didn't agree with doing in the first place. No one gave me a single good reason, but just kept asking anyway. There will be no special crafting station for the blocks in this mod.

There will be one for the storage lockers. Soon as I decide on a name.

Getting some of the recipes moved to crafting stations that are hardly even used in the vanilla game is the closest I'm getting to making a crafting station for them. The anvils are where you find some blocks in the vanilla game and the other "more blocks" mod that I use actually has them placed there, as well. It just makes more sense, in retrospect.

Again, I ask, should I move the extra bits for the racial blocks to the anvils, as well?

7. simulatoralive

The Final Touch for That Gold Ship?

8. simulatoralive

Fixed Z-Level On Most Blocks

9. simulatoralive

Anybody Need a Proper Window for Their Ship?

10. TempTemp

TempTemp Star Wrangler

First off does this mod work with Frackin' Universe?

Secondly if you are looking for stations to move things to to reduce the bloat, I'd suggest the Pixel Compressor or Employers Station. The first has very little use and fits with something that spits out blocks from pixels. The second is unused, but still in the files. You could steal thier image, or out right use them. I personally think a station just for the added blocks would be helpful for those new to the mod. When you unlock new stuff from mods it can be annoying to have to check a whole bunch of stations to find where to make the stuff. It's also annoying when the stations needed are early-game ones that haven't been used by the player in ages and are just sitting in their shiplocker (I never really used my anvil after I repair the ships engines for example and instead put it in storage).

EDIT: A secondary use of a custom crafting station is that you can create your own sorting filters (I find this really helps with FU which has a ton of things to craft even after knowing where everything is) which really helps find stuff faster.

11. simulatoralive

I've no idea if this Mod currently works with FU. It did during Spirited Giraffe. I briefly toyed with that setup for a week or so, when I was more interested in playing than modding. I think I saw a mod collection with both mods in it when I was looking through them yesterday, but I'm not 100% certain. All I can say is try it and see what happens. If there's a problem, let me know and I'll try to solve it. Frackin' Universe is fun...

Keep in mind that when I say anvils (note the 's' on the end), I'm referring to the Anvil, Metalwork Station and the Replicator. The Replicator shows the Hull Plating recipes for all three.

Neither the Pixel Compressor nor the Employer's Station make any logical sense for crafting most of the blocks in this mod. The few that make sense at the Pixel Compressor are already being crafted there. Those are the money blocks.

I find it irritating that people are demanding a custom crafting station, but then complain that they don't want to keep an Anvil/Metalwork Station/Replicator around. There's no logic to that, folks.

Sorting filters are the first good reason I've heard for a custom crafting station, but I'm still not making one for the blocks. End of discussion of this subject. Everyone, please stop asking. I've already made that decision.

I'm moving most of the recipes to the three anvils, except when logic dictates otherwise. I'm thinking of pulling most of the racial blocks out of the "craft anywhere" lists and dumping them into the anvils, as well, but I've yet to make up my mind. I'm definitely leaving the Wall Panel and Striped Wall as anywhere items. That anywhere list clutters up the crafting table lists, after all, which are already quite long in the vanilla game. Far as I can tell, hardly anything uses the anvils, aside from armor, and how often do people actually make armor? Shouldn't really inconvenience anyone much at all there.

12. chean

chean Pangalactic Porcupine

I've used this mod alongside FU for a good while now, without any issues at all; and since HPB&M generally adds files of its own rather than modifying ones from base assets, conflicts should be highly unlikely anyway.

Since I'm already posting... I'll make a suggestion I also made when "reviewing" this mod (in case you don't read those :) ) : I'd like to see a slimmer, 1-tile wide option for the ship doors; the 2-tile, standard ship doors tend to be too big and clunky for my purposes.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  13. simulatoralive

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'll have to think on what art I might modify for it. Slimming down the existing doors may be difficult, but I'll look into it.

I've also been thinking of doing ship-themed regular furniture, though figuring out the art is the thing really stopping me on that. At the least, I want to do some appropriate chairs to go along with the captain's chair, for bridge crew stations; the main thing is that they need to look different from the captain's chair, somehow, smaller head-rest perhaps?

Wall mounted beds for crew quarters would be fun, too. I might be able to make that one a generic item by playing tricks with the alpha channel and some shadowing. Think along the lines of a somewhat darker alcove in a wall, with a bed in it. Shouldn't have to make one for every tileset, if I do it just right, though a variety of colors for the sheet wouldn't hurt.

I've also been thinking of doing some secret doors, like the glitch castle secret doors and the dirt secret doors, just with hull plating blocks.

Thanks for reminding me of some of the ideas I've had bumping around in my head. I've been compiling a to-do list of random ideas to work on and I've just gotten 5 extra items for it.

Edit: Wow. Your review just pushed this mod to 5th place for top Crafting & Building mods. Thank you! Holy cow. I never thought it would go this far.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  14. TempTemp

TempTemp Star Wrangler

If you are thinking about bridge seating, what about built in consoles. Normally you might put a second item in front like a desk, but for these seats it would be all one item (bulkier then a stand alone stand, but smaller then a seat plus workstation). The captain would not need these as much as say the weapon's officer, who would need to have his face glued to the readouts (don't want those nukes cooking off due to overheating for example!!!).[DOUBLEPOST=1447289383][/DOUBLEPOST]I seem to get a weird error when using this mod with the one that give the Apex a new ship type (it's called Dreadnought I think). One of the platforms bugs out and turns to dirt. Error only started after I used this mod, and only with Apex.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  15. simulatoralive

Figured out the error.

Pleased Giraffe introduced a material with the same file name and location as one of mine. I was not aware of this until just now. So mine is effectively replacing it, and since they actually have different item and material names, the vanilla one doesn't exist in game and your other mod is choking on the fact that it can't produce the platforms.

I'll get a fix out ASAP.

16. simulatoralive

Apex Ship Platform Now Fixed

Read the rest of this update entry...[DOUBLEPOST=1447297915][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I've uploaded a fix, so please try again and let me know.

17. TempTemp

TempTemp Star Wrangler

Just wanted to report that your fixed seemed to have worked.:up:

18. simulatoralive

Glad I could help. Enjoy!

19. simulatoralive

Ship Trim, as I Originally Wanted It

20. simulatoralive

So, has anyone tried the experimental release (31.0)? Has it crashed at all or is everything good?