1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Epic of Starbound (Writers Needed!)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Yaxlat, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Yaxlat

Yaxlat Existential Complex

So I had I was just writing away, as I sometimes do, and had the idea to write a story for starbound. I realized that, although it's a fun idea, it's been done many times before, and I wanted to do something more, something different. Therefore, the idea of the "Epic of Starbound" was born. Essentially, it will be a group of writers who each write a chapter in the Epic of Starbound, a collective story made by many writers. The idea is that I will choose a team of writers (not only the best ones, also the people with the coolest ideas, and those who are really enthusiastic!) and we will get together and decide for a basic idea for a story. Then someone (most likely myself) will write a first chapter, kicking things off, and then one by one other writers in the team will write another chapter which follows on from the previous one. After all the main writers have been exhausted, I will allow anyone to write the next chapter in the story, including people who had already written one. This way it will be a story written by the Starbound community!
    Anyone can join, not just the best writers! This just something nice. I cannot guarantee that you will be selected to be part of the initial team if you apply, but you certainly can help after the first part is complete!
    If you want to take part, just post a response as a reply to this thread, which states why you want to do this, some ideas you have, and previous writing experience (none is also okay!) Also, If possible state your timezone.
    I will start choosing whomever I see fit to be in the initial writing team and make a PM for us all to talk about ideas, in one week, on Monday 11th February, and applications will be closed by Friday 15th.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Please put the word APPLICATION in bold, big and colourful letters at the top of the post, so I can easily pick out which replies are applications when I choose people.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR READING!

Noc likes this.
  2. Untega

Untega Pangalactic Porcupine

I didn't read it but I will take the thanks. Read it now. And there is already a guy is doing something like this.
    Link here.

3. Yaxlat

I am part of that series, and that is something different, It is a play, not a story.

Noc likes this.
  4. Untega

Untega Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh alright, my bad. I just thought they were similar.

5. Yaxlat

Kind of, but also different ;) It's okay.

6. I truly appreciate your interest in having a community project. :up: This almost reminds me of a forum-game, with each post being a follow up to a never-ending story. (Please bear in mind that forum-games are not allowed)

Anyways, as stated, there's a project that resembles this currently going on. However, if you're merely focused on telling a story together, wouldn't this belong in the RP OOC section?

Yaxlat likes this.
  7. Yaxlat

Well keeper, it's a mix of all those things. It is that never ending story, but more slightly more professional. It's a project for all, and you're welcome to come. Yet I'm here only to rally allies, not to wage a war of words, because that will be done in another part of the lands of the forums ;). Gosh that almost sounded poetic :DD
    EDIT: Also, I noticed you said "merely" focused on telling a story together. How could you? It will be an epic all will look up to! :p

8. By "merely focused on telling a story" I mean that that's the only activity that will be developed (story-telling), according to what you've shared. Nothing wrong with it, it just made me wonder that since it is a combined story, perhaps it should belong in the Roleplaying section. :alien:

Yaxlat likes this.
  9. idiokracy

idiokracy Master Chief

APPLICATION:
    I'd like to apply. I've never had problems with writing stories. Although I currently have no official writing experiences, I do believe I have some good ideas. I would have to base them off of the first chapter you write though. To make it linear to the story. My timezone is (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada). The reason I want to do this, mainly because I've always wanted to take part in something that actually stands out in history. I believe this game is going to make history and writing a part of its story would mean everything to me, even if its only a small portion of it.

Yaxlat likes this.
  10. Yaxlat

Awesome, thx noc :DD. Also, you're probably going to be in, but can you do a formal application, just so I can easily pick the applications out when deciding who is in, and so that if there are a lot of people I can see what you have to offer :p.
    Thank you for your application, sounds awesome. You're just the sort of person I'd like in the team :p.

Noc and idiokracy like this.
  11. Prophet of Deception

Prophet of Deception Big Damn Hero

APPLICATI:)N!
    Well that exhausted my creativeness. If you couldn't tell I'm applying, I'm good at spelling so no last minute edits, I take in information like a bottomless pit so if I read anyone elses chapter I can retain nearly every detail to incorporate into my chapter/part, downside is that I can write funny things and serious things but I'm terrible at people. I can't really put my self in a persons shoes to feel any emotion except rage, that I'm quite good at. I can write damn good history though, need a backstory for some new element you are writing in? Well I come in handy then. Just read my corporation page (IBI Research) it's full of funny details/history.
    Timezone is the one with Hobart and another city + Melbourne. I'm closest to Melbourne. If confused just check the time of my post to the time I am stating here: It's 4:31 PM here.

Yaxlat likes this.
  12. Nate the Great

Nate the Great Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Application
    At school, I've been praised for my writing skills. I find that writing is the best way for me to show my creativity, since my art skills are... Not very good. I can't draw or write very well, okay? But that won't be a problem thanks to my handy-dandy keyboard. I always like to roll ideas for stories in my head, but I don't have many people to discuss it with. When I do put them on paper, maybe for a school project, it's an A for me. I hope to see how I can apply my writing skills. I find that I work off the best when a story is given a base and then you build off of that. I hope to work with you soon, this seems like something I would enjoy immensely.
    Timezone: PST (Pacific Standard Time), that's the west coast of Canada/US.

Good golly, this post took quite a bit of time. I hope this pleases you, sir.

Yaxlat likes this.
  13. Yaxlat

Great, love the application heading, a nice display of creativity. I think that when I'm choosing who is in the initial team (everyone who will want to contribute will be able to sooner or later!) the coloUrful application words will subliminally affect me into wanting to choose those ;). I think you have a really good chance, seriously... but a to get something out of a bottomless pit, you must go down it yourself! Just one thing, timezone please!

14. oblustorm

oblustorm Lucky Number 13

Application Incoming!
    I am an enthusiastic writer who comes up with a lot of original ideas as a bonus, I always like to add those great texts of detail in my work, I class my self as a new-born perfectionist when it comes to writing. With a great skill of effort and free time I could definitely contribute well to this project. I'd say I'm 'OK' with humor so I can always fit that in if necessary.
    In an overall summary, I'm a fountain of ideas who always has that bit of chipped framework from now and then, enthusiastic like a strong current in the rivers. If you accept this, I'd be very appreciative and pleased of your decision.

Timezone = GMT+1

15. Yaxlat

Awesome! A little more coloUr in the word application would really help, but sounds good! A chance for you getting in! I foresee the problem of having too many awesome people :(. You called me a sir! I need to sit down and feel good about myself now :DD.

16. oblustorm

Oh damn, I forgot to add in my timezone, don't worry Yaxlat, I'll edit that in.

Yaxlat likes this.
  17. Yaxlat

Looks real good! Wow so many applications :DD. Just state your time zone, and then it's a valid application ;).
    EDIT: Oh cool with the time zone :).

18. oblustorm

Yes, I've edited it all now, no worries. :p Thanks for accepting the application, Yaxlat, hopefully you'll come back with no regrets.

19. Yaxlat

I haven't "accepted" the application as such. I am deciding who is in the team next week, but everyone who is applied will be given the chance to write something. The team is just the people who talk about how we will start the story off, and will be the first people to write their part of a story! I am really glad that this is turning out well. :)

20. Yaxlat

One thing, GMT +1? Finally a fellow European (unless you are from Africa, in which case, finally a fellow non-american :p) Just out of interest, in what country do you live?