Reactions to light

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Doctor Ragnarok, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Doctor Ragnarok

Doctor Ragnarok Former Staff

We've all seen the recent lighting demo, and within the blown minds come new ideas.

Light should not only provide a method in which to see where you're going, but it should also have advantages in other situations. Perhaps there are monsters who will stray away from a light source, or become startled and flee when light is shone upon them. As well, for monsters who live deeper under the surface, light could perhaps blind them, or cause physical pain. The possibilities are pretty widespread but I just want to open up the alternatives so that we're not just looking at light as a single purpose mechanic.

I believe it is Angler fish that do something like this to capture their prey, where some animals are just compelled to investigate the light.

Gargoyles would be a great example of enemies that freeze in light and engage you in the dark.

2. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

Now if only we could get those lightbulb grenades...

Also like the idea, flashlights as a defensive system reminds me of the old Luigi's Mansion game.

ElPonchoPoco and Rian121 like this.
  3. wsensor

wsensor Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh flash grenades!

It would be nice to see some species that fear light.
    Or some that when under sunlight start to burn up and die not necessarily vampires lol.

This way we could have ultra violet light weapons.

Creatures that fear sunlight might stay away from your lighted areas til they smarten up that is.
    This way if you have a mining base you might have regular lights set up to scare the enemies and not expensive weapons inside the base. I mean I would only use a uv lamp post near the entrances to an underground base to keep the monsters away while the inside would be lit by cheap lights.

4. General Chaos

General Chaos Pangalactic Porcupine

Like the idea with reactions to light. This could also apply to non living things like for finding secret passage ways,unlocking/activating things, or even for visually seeing something that is invisible unless you used the proper light spectrum.

bounding star likes this.
  5. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

We could also have creatures that are ATTRACTED to light. Flashlights can also have its problems on certain planets :D

General Chaos likes this.
  6. Earic Lodger

Earic Lodger Starship Captain

I call dibs on saying;
    "SO YOU DON'T LIKE THE LIGHT MOTHERF*CKER!?"
    If you don't get my joke; Japanese animes. That explains about 99 tenths of my humor.

ElPonchoPoco likes this.
  7. iblob

iblob Big Damn Hero

Or maybe we could have Zelda style enemies that freeze in light.
    Such as plants that close when a light is shone on them?
    Or a wall crawling enemy that turns to stone in light creating a platform?
    Or maybe even a weeping angel!

Gumdrop Meadowz and Drithyl like this.
  8. Drithyl

Actually enemies that freeze when lighted and then move again when in darkness are pretty awesome and downright creepy. Hey, you never know if it WILL move when you least expect it :D

I also like the plants idea!

I do watch animes, and like them quite a lot, I still don't get what is there to get in your joke! Of course it would be awesome to cry out that sentence while burning down vampires with a light... :ninja:

9. Earic Lodger

Earic Lodger Starship Captain

Actually it was a Anime fan-made movie based upon, guess what, Dance in the Vampire Bund.
    I was the guy that accidently made the line when i was writing a Fan fic myself. After i posted my Fan fic online, (I don't quite remember the website, my bad) the guys aproached me in a Email saying, "Heh, would you like to be a script writer?" Turns i had fans. I accepted almost immediately. 'Course it was hard work and i kept a Whiteboard with all the possible one-liners. Eventually the movie came out after 17 months in development, with a very strict budget.
    After we posted it on the website it got (Last time i checked and this was about 2 years or so ago or something like that) roughly 17 million views within about 3 weeks.
    The scene goes like this..... (I will put this is Spoilers so that you read it if you want to)
    Basically, the Main Protagonist, a Man that just recently lost his 6 year old Daughter to vampires, (His name is "Burging Rane", in Vampire society he's known as "Burning Rain") goes out to search for his missing daughter, and this persuit ends up integrating him in Vampire society, he pretends to be a Vampire (With the help of some gadgets that he made because he's an Engineer) so he can find clues, and the plot progresses with his contacts suggesting "Ever consider that maybe she's happier being a Vampire?" and whatnot, you know, the other side of the coin thing. Anyways so while interrogating a Vampire named "Mrs Annonymous" he says the line. Simple as that. One of my co-workers actually suggested that he be killed in such a way that his corpse would never be identified, such as him dying without his head on, so even in death he was annonymous. We agreed.

Drithyl likes this.
  10. Drithyl

Hoh, I didn't know there was a fan-made movie about Dance in the Vampire Bund, I started reading the manga long ago and liked it a lot, but in the end I stopped doing so, for whatever reasons I now can't understand :D I'd appreciate it if you sent me a link to the movie via PM or something, and in the meanwhile, let's try to stay on topic so that this thread can go on. We can go on talking through messages ^^

11. Doctor Ragnarok

Doctor Ragnarok Former Staff

Definitely a wonderful idea as well.

I don't think we'll get any Zelda or Doctor Who references, but there's plenty that could be done with that sort of reaction. Gargoyles, perhaps?

I've added these both to the first post so it's all found easier.

12. KamikazeDuck

KamikazeDuck Void-Bound Voyager

I love the idea of things reacting to light/darkness, you could have it go both ways so that some enemies love the dark, and run or even die from the light, and some that hate the dark, and have some kind of weapon that sucks the light away from you, making the monster run away, or die. Maybe even have planets that have literally no light, or is so bright you need to get some kind of protection from the intense light to even set foot on it. It would make some killer terrains.

13. Drithyl

As far as I know, devs already mentioned that the duration of the day/night will depend on each planet, and even have some of them in which day or night are eternal, so yeah, imagine... Especially defending a base in an eternally dark planet, with mounted lights on its walls and having to "aim" them to avoid ambushes... Simply brilliant! (Heh, brilliant :ninja:)

14. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

Possibilities of having horrendously scary creatures here. Similar to the original thought of the Enderman, but with a touch of discrepancy on the mob's part. Not only will not having the light make it hard to know where this creature is to take it on without it's ability to act, as soon as you shine the light on it, it begins it's approach at a very quick rate. Scary noises, guttural sounds, and a lot of frights.

I'd love to see this mechanic in the game.

15. Fantasja

Fantasja Industrial Terraformer

Have a few ideas you could add:

Light Sensor(For mechanics like activating tnt or some door i dunno)

UV Light+Special enemys that are invisible unless they are in UV light. They should be living on high threat planets cuz UV light should not be a early game item but should be hard to get.

Equipable UV light maker(Sorround 10x10 blocks around player with UV light?)

UV Flashlight name kinda says it all....

And UV Lamps that can be placed

16. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

oh, how about sensors that activate lights, or a system that connects multiple lights together. So when you or another being happens upon your underground base cased in darkness, it could light up and all the mechanisms (defense turrets, alarms, etc) turn on if it's hostile.

17. Fantasja

Fantasja Industrial Terraformer

Exactly mate!

18. ImaWario

ImaWario Void-Bound Voyager

I love this idea. You might even go so far as to include the ability to change the brightness of a light, for example putting a shade on a torch or lamp, and have things that react in different ways to different light intensities, which would allow for creatures that are aggressive in bright light, but are friendly in dim light so they can still be studied and observed.

ALSO:
    The plural of anime is anime.
    http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/7/7b/Grammar_nazi_logo.png

19. Drithyl

20. Woodledude

Woodledude Subatomic Cosmonaut

I might be "borrowing" this from Dr. Seuss, but do you think flashdarks are a good idea?