Reactions to light

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Doctor Ragnarok, Mar 14, 2012.

1. starman

starman Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like this idea a lot :up: .
    it got me to thinking that a planet could have darkness as a type of hazard.
    picture a pitch black planet that has no source of light, with the exception of your lighting equipment. at the edge of the light source you see shadow-like creatures crawling around, desperately trying to (for lack of a better word) 'get' you. needless to say walking into this darkness is not a good idea.

2. cdogcdl

cdogcdl Cosmic Narwhal

In Crackdown the main enemy is hurt by light... maybe UV guns and grenades similar to Crackdown's... also those with survival skills may know that red lights don't startle animals so maybe a way to keep them from going at you because of a light is to have a red flashlight... much like the setting on some higher quality headlamps

KuroHinotori likes this.
  3. Force2Reckon

Force2Reckon Phantasmal Quasar

NO NO NO NO NO NO FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO DAMN IT ALL TO HELL NO!!!!!
    Don't you know that even the image of a weeping angel can affect a person, that damn thing would grab us right through the game.

Also excuse my language.

4. Nyss

Nyss Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How about blocks that can only be stood on while illuminated? It would make using your flashlight essential, and something to use flares for.

Dasaki likes this.
  5. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

I wouldn't mind seeing some light based weaponry, but what really grabs me is the idea of using grenades that blast off more light in a longer duration than flashbangs allot.

very interesting, I like this idea, mainly because it switches up the way you travel through the underdark, getting puzzle heavy. Though dealing with that and mobs at the same time could be tough. Which would make the above mentioned grenades a really good balancing point. through a grenade to light up the place say for 1 minute, to allow for more freedom of movement in pressing times where setting torches, or using a flash light makes things a bit harder, than say just pouring light from a source to cover a large area for a time. You'd light up all the platforms that need light to function, destroy anything that is hurt by light, and aggro anything that goes after light sources to the area where the grenade was thrown. You can then "light up" the place with lead, lasers, and flurry of attacks from your melee weapons.

All very great ideas that I'd LOVE to see in the game.

6. Nyss

Nyss Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe they should put a lamp in as well as a flashlight, to give a personal light radius.

7. Doctor Ragnarok

Doctor Ragnarok Former Staff

Not too much unlike the movie of the same name; Pitch Black. I like the idea of completely dark planets and creatures that avoid light, though that may technically be its own suggestion.

UV weapons are almost a given when you get down to using lights extensively and having enemies of all variety roaming night or day. That was quite a fun weapon though in Crackdown. Different colored lights having varying uses would be neat too. Apply a crystal filter to your lightsource perhaps.

i've seen this in a few games now, and it seems a neat concept on its own. It would have to be fairly limited though, lest you just fall through the planet at night. Also begs the question; what if you've fallen through a block like this and then it is illuminated. You'd just die, right?

8. Lordofrye

Lordofrye Guest

possibly creatures that only move in light. i know this sounds really wierd, but think about it. you can't look at it, but you know it's there, so if you try t looka tat it to see what is is, it will attack.

also, blocks that are de-activated by light, so in combination with the light-activated blocks, you cuold have alarm lights, base lights that turn on when you walk in and pitfalls/blast doors that activate based on light.

also, maybe monsters that emit light, either attracting you or a bunch of other monsters to them

9. cdogcdl

cdogcdl Cosmic Narwhal

I like the idea of a light emitting monster, goes hand in hand with light attracted monsters. Also different colored lights (mentioned above) have diferent wavelengths, and travel different distances (just a thought). Maybe some creatures only react to certain colored lights.... forgot my other idea but ill edit it in if I remember

Lordofrye likes this.
  10. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

I like this idea, would really fit. Some monsters could even burn :D (Space Vampires, anyone?)

11. Lordofrye

Lordofrye Guest

then one would have to be named Edwin. for shits and giggles

12. Swinburn

Swinburn Phantasmal Quasar

The problem is we are able to duel-wield weapons.

Someone could go around with a flashlight and a gun and these creatures could be no problem...

Good concept however.

13. Vorco Rot-Gut

Vorco Rot-Gut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

True, but not everyone will! I'm sure certain monsters will be easier to dispatch with different weapons. So maybe they won't have that type of weapon available on them! Also what if there is an enemy around them that it difficult to defeat with a one handed weapon? Then it becomes extra tricksy! Besides i'd like to see mob/player interactions of all sort such as the training aspect. Maybe you could throw food down a hole to trick one of the stupider mobs into charging off a cliff :D

Things of that nature!

14. Nyss

Nyss Scruffy Nerf-Herder

how about monsters that are attracted to light that clog up your flashlight and attack you?

15. Actually, this would add a lot to the atmosphere if it appeared on apparently dead pre-generated worlds. Imagine burrowing under a ruined city and happening upon the entrance to an old, disused base, then, without warning, all the lights and defense systems come on and you find yourself under heavy fire...

XxNathinatorxX and cdogcdl like this.
  16. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

Points to everyone who knew what a Weeping Angel is, and all of these ideas sound pretty amazing.

17. Dasaki

he would have to sparkle.

18. SomethingObvious

SomethingObvious Phantasmal Quasar

And make it so it can only be turned on by redstone electricity.

19. Dasaki

I'd imagine it just forms around your body snug making you stuck. Which could be just as aggravating. lol

onto personal lights and such...

That's a great idea actually, it could really be used to set moods in rooms and such. Like a lone desk surrounded by file cabinets, and the only light in the whole room is a small desk lamp being powered by a small generator nearby. I would think it not to practical in "combat" situations unless a creature really is THAT susceptible to light.

20. SomethingObvious

SomethingObvious Phantasmal Quasar

And, if painting is implimented, you could change the light's colour, so you could have some blue, green and red lights if you really wanted to. Make some kind of bachelor pad :p