1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Option to enable hunger and/or switch back to extreme weather gear (please read top post)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by arden03, Dec 27, 2014.

?

Who else would like an option to enable hunger bar and bring weather clothing back (remove tech)?

1. yes

81.6%
  2. no

18.4%
  1. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

I, and many others I have seen on the forums, found a sense of accomplishment and purpose to the hunger bar in regards to farming to make it feel important enough to do (I just don't feel like buffs are enough... and there are already a few other options to get health back from tents to injections) and crafting in general in regards to extreme weather ... and i loved the hoth looking cold weather gear hahaha. I would like to see a menu where you can choose the challenges present in your game (or for your character), such as a custom perhaps, where you can choose to enable hunger and/or choose to switch extreme weather tech for crafting recipes (such as cold/hot/radiation/no atmosphere/underwater... maybe even hazmat for poison). If this option doesn't become available in the base game I know I'll search for it from modders, but the more options we have at the beginning the better off we will all be... plus with that sort of functionality already in the menus it will allow the modders a whole new avenue for being able to add features, just add to the list of options in custom game if they have optional gameplay features they would like to add that might not need to be enabled all the time. just a thought.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  2. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

The problem with this is that I want hunger back, but do not want to use clothing for extreme tempuratures.
    You probably shouldn't have combined two completely different questions into one.

Benanator likes this.
  3. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, same here. Hunger adds a little bit of upkeep to help keep you moving, but I'd like to try the tech out first before saying I want the old system back. Giving us a simple tick box upon character creation to let us decide what features we want to implement would be nice, though I have no idea how hard it would be in practice.

4. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

i felt i was clear that my suggestion was to be able to choose what gameplay options you wanted... but I'll reiterate, a menu with optional gameplay options to turn on or off certain features would be great.[DOUBLEPOST=1419721164][/DOUBLEPOST]
    i'm not totally familiar with their code, but in general this kind of thing would be easy to implement. simple global values and global functions for the options would do the trick. Though to make it truly awesome it would need to remain optional after creation too, so if you decide you dont want or want something later down the line you don't have to restart.[DOUBLEPOST=1419721220][/DOUBLEPOST]
    in my post i clarified what i meant, since the question has an extremely limited character count and I wanted to put as much of my thought into it as I could.[DOUBLEPOST=1419724119][/DOUBLEPOST]honestly im surprised people a saying no to the option to change up gameplay... i feel like maybe they aren't reading the top post like i specified in the title haha

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    supernovus likes this.
  5. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

I gave it some thought, and I'll be posting it as a suggestion once I flesh it out a bit, but why not have armor give/take warmth (Wear low tier armor for less heat, high tier for more), and use the nanosuit as a bonus? Like 50% more protection or something.

For Gentle planets, make the core itself have high temperature, but everything above it be safe. Core Fragments spawn above the core anyway.
    For Eccentric planets, have the temperature randomized. For instance, a warm Ice planet and such.
    For Cold planets, have a tier made with leather rather than ingots. Said tier has lower defense but higher warmth. Also have ice water provide a massive drop in temperature.
    For Volcanic planets, just make it so the heat goes up as you get closer to the core, but have it livable above the cavern layer.
    For Magma planets, have Cerulium, Ferozium, and Impervium armor provide space-age cooling, and have it impossible to be on the planet safely without it.
    For Radioactive planets, have the Haz Mat costume change from a random costume to a craftable, tiered armor set. At impervium level, it'd be 100% Radioactivity immunity and Poison immunity from liquids.
    Finally, allow us to craft objects that change the temperature, much like campfires and nano stoves did.

Something along these lines for the temperature issues. As for hunger, just bring it back as it was, but make it punish players for overeating as a method of healing.

Khuur and Mendacium like this.
  6. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hopefully chucklefish sees these...

c2h5oc2h5 and arden03 like this.
  7. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I think it would be interesting if they kept the tech - but made a gameplay element out of it.
    Something similar to FTL - energy balance.

The Tech is Personal Manipulator Shield [ P.M.S ]
    The idea is you have 5 categories
    • Usable Energy - Energy available to be used by weapons \ other techs
    • Physical Deflector - physical damage resistance
    • Fire Resistance
    • Poison Resistance
    • Cold Resistance

So the more units of energy you place into each one - the more resistance your character gets.
    Basically becomes a completely customizable system - which allows players to have unique defense mechanics.
    The armors and items will add extra "bars of energy" into these categories.

It also evens out meele and range.
    Because Meele can suffer with less energy - with high resistance. While range wants to keep as much energy usable as possible at the sacrifice of resistance.

Mendacium and arden03 like this.
  8. Derethevil

Derethevil Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It seems that this goes mostly one direction with this poll here so... give it back.

[​IMG]

9. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

It went one way in the posts where the risk of hunger being removed was first suggested and yet it still happened sadly

10. Consumer of Souls

Consumer of Souls Big Damn Hero

Why don't we try to keep the discussion in one topic?

11. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

I like this, it's a pretty interesting idea though I can see where it might start to fail a little in the game in general... sure in PVP you dont know what kind of weapon someone will have all the time, but in general you will only need 1 kind of resistance at a time when exploring especially because you can drain poison lakes now.

12. Osoreshi

Osoreshi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The hunger needed huge tweaks (like c'mon, I'm just sitting here doing nothing, why should I feel any hunger?), but it was something worthy of an exploration game.

Bring Hunger back with a better mechanic (like the one in Minecraft, that's pretty balanced)
    Foods without buffs shouldn't give you the "well fed" debuff. And "well fed" just shouldn't allow you to eat bigger food (like when you already ate, you are stuffed, but there is still place for dessert.)

13. Texmar

Texmar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So is that the deal? Hunger is no longer a factor? I thought it was the nightly not working properly. I recently started up again, so whats the point of farming now?

14. Consumer of Souls

Consumer of Souls Big Damn Hero

Different food grants you different buffs! Also, they heal you.

15. Texmar

Texmar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bandages heal me, only buff I need is my blaster in my hand. I need to eat!

16. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, so far I haven't eaten anything. I just didn't need, and I believe that I'm not the only one.

Conclusion: ALL the content related to farming is being wasted! And who loses more with it? Me, the player? Or the people who put effort into it?

Mendacium, Silverforte and Osoreshi like this.
  17. Osoreshi

Osoreshi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Healling is really slow, and bandages are really cheap and easy to make. Unless they make food useful like in WoW which was cheaper and easier, then is still senseless.

although HI-MAX², the farming was greatly improved. Oh the irony.

HI-MAX² likes this.
  18. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

The notion of having to protect yourself from harsh environments/temperatures with actual suits was something that drew me to this game and was a major selling point for me and my social circle. When I noticed how badly nerfed that, hunger and some other stuff had been (or, streamlined...) I felt a sinking feeling in my gut. Disappointment. I do not see why we can't have toggles for server options. It's like how you can tweak the rate of hunger or if you can die from starvation on Minecraft. Why not have both? We could have tech that prevents it but is only available if a server has the option ticked and if not, then the gear is usable. I don't know, that's just me shooting off random ideas.

arden03, HI-MAX² and yclatious like this.
  19. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

I enjoyed hunger, it gave farming a purpose. Since now, all my food just fills up space in my storage room too fast.
    You also can't get rid of your extra food by gorging it down, since the Well-Fed buff happens too fast.
    I wish Well-Fed only happened after you ate like, 10 pieces of food first, rather than only one piece. Or like, bring back the hunger bar, and if you fill it up completely, you become Well-Fed and can't eat any more food.

I enjoy the extra effects of food now, but they are still practically worthless compared to bandages and the sorts. I also wish the food would give a description of how exactly it affects you rather than just trying to guess how much you are being healed.

The cold I never really liked however.

20. micromause

micromause Aquatic Astronaut

Weather yes. Hunger? Hell no.

Morsus98 likes this.