1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Option to enable hunger and/or switch back to extreme weather gear (please read top post)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by arden03, Dec 27, 2014.

?

Who else would like an option to enable hunger bar and bring weather clothing back (remove tech)?

1. yes

81.6%
  2. no

18.4%
  1. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

the popcorn idea is something I could see chucklefish doing lol, the item would remain the same except for the name, icon, and appearance. that's some silly stuff I could get behind... the rest though seems too far to me. you can get the same kind of effect I think youre looking for by making spoil timers or something like that, instead of some elaborate system you need to micromanage... don't want it to turn into a food eating simulator rather than a sandbox survival game.

Texmar likes this.
  2. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I see, I see...

Well, I'll tell you a story. Sit around the campfire, children.

Yesterday I was having problems with my inventory, it was full and I wanted to continue exploring! You know what I did? I threw away items related to farming and food, and you know why? Cuz I don't need to eat!!! End of story. :slowpoke:

If you don't think this enough I suggest a much simpler and popular system: Weight. (Trumpets, please.)

It's common in games in which you must explore dungeons, manage your inventory carefully is essential. So...
    • Each item has a weight;
    • Each character has a weight limit that can carry;
    • Exceeding 60% of this limit the character can't run, just walk;
    • Exceeding 90% of this limit the character can't walk.
    Another feature for a possible survival mode, I think.

3. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i dont know guys

meny people thought it was annoying :giggle:

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

There was no many.

5. Ailwuful

Ailwuful Orbital Explorer

Personally I very much fail to understand why people like stuff that limits gameplay and doesn't offer any reward.

They are building a cooking system with food giving buffs. Sure, it doesn't seem anywhere near complete right now, the buffs aren't rewarding enough to warrant you caring about it. But that's a tuning problem, not a problem in its concept.

The old system was you requiring to remind regularly eating to fill a bar. If you forget and the bar depletes, you die. HOW THE HELL IS THAT FUN???!!!! I do not understand. It was just troubling and at some point, largely irrelevant because food is easy to obtain.

If you want to use the arguement that at least before you cared more about food and farming and cooking and whatnot, the new system is much better in that regard once it's better implemented. The old system any food would do, the new system would give incentive for you to cook different stuff and be rewarded with different buffs that help in different situations.

6. hammer oz

hammer oz Void-Bound Voyager

The hunger bar seemed like a tiny annoyance but was not to bothersome for me so I am neutral on that part but as for the weather and clothing needed for such weather I agree bring them back. As for the tech I don't think it should be removed but reworked

7. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

The thing is the two food systems could have EASILY been combined to improve BOTH of them. In fact in the case of burgers and pies they were already COMBINED. Food is now useless clutter in inventories. You can finish the whole game that's completed so far without eating even ONCE.

Tamorr and Texmar like this.
  8. Ferengi Latinum Farmer

Ferengi Latinum Farmer Subatomic Cosmonaut

To be fair, the old hunger system was very haphazardly implemented. I'd rather they flesh it out and make it more interesting if they are going to bring it back (and I'm sure they will add it back in as an option at least).

As far as weather, environmental hazards, temperature (etc) go, I agree that they should be fleshed back out as well. I think that immunity to heat, cold, and suffocation should be the final rewards for surviving through those treacherous environments. You first enter a new system with just the basics for surviving there, and by the time you're finally done and ready to move on to a more dangerous type of environment, you've created the tech to survive there easily (the current immunity techs).

Something like that.

9. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i do feel like food is useless right now tho
    food isnt as good when you can just chug bandages

10. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

What I don't get is why item redundancy is a bad thing. So you have multiple healing items? Hooray! This game gives you lots of options for all kinds of things, why not healing?

Personally, I find toting around Oculemon Stew or a lot more endearing than a buncha bandages.

11. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

it becomes a bad thing when you have hundred of alternatives or ingredients that you'll never use

Texmar, HI-MAX² and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Why?

Seriously. Why? This is a game all about the massive potentiality and item lists. There are tons of block options to build with, and the combinations of weapon styles and effects has got to be pretty massive. And let's not forget the vanity armors, HOW many planets?

Why is "different ways to heal" the Bad Thing?

I don't remember any kvetching about the sheer amount of crap you can collect in Castelvania: Symphony of the Night, a good 90~95% of which you'll probably never use in conventional play.

13. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

No to both. Starbound already has too many features and because of that it lacks any clear design focus.

A fighting game or FPS shooter can have excellent combat because there aren't too many other features distracting from it. Sometimes multiple game dynamics step on each other's toes, like resource management disrupting the pacing of a narrative, or block building mechanics trivializing a lot of environmental dangers in a survival game. Other times it is just an issue of the developer's time and effort being spread too thin over too many sides of the game. If the Chucklefish team tried to have their game do everything imaginable, they'd never release it and every element of it would be underdeveloped. Since they are already headed in that direction, I'm very glad they decided NOT to have hunger bars or weather armor NOR have option tick boxes for those features. It makes far more sense to leave those things to a mod.

14. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Because STims, medkits and the basic BURGERS as well as NOT GETTING HURT IN THE FIRST PLACE, are better alternatives. They just take up the already limited storage space either in the inventory or on the ship. Case in point, my ship locker is COMPLETELY FULL of seeds and ingredients and a few cooked foods that I will NEVER EVER use because I don't have to.

15. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

... man, now someone's gonna make the C:SotN Castlevania map in Starbound, ain't they.

At least I hope so.

16. HI-MAX²

Wasted time and effort that could be used in more interesting things? (Like anything else.)

Useless content but that we're still paying for it?

Choose one.

17. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

The "different" ways to heal/replenish hunger in Starbound aren't a strong game design choice either, since choices have to actually matter to feel satisfying. Even with a hunger bar, it literally doesn't matter how many types of food you have-- you only need pie. Or stew. Or banana bread. You don't need a well-balanced diet. There's no depth to the system anyway. When there are 1000 items that do essentially the same thing, they aren't really different items, they just use different slots. I actually feel the same way about weapons and armor in Starbound as well-- there is more true variety in Terraria at the moment than all of Starbound's massive loot tables.

HI-MAX² likes this.
  18. HI-MAX²

By the way, compare the items of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night with Starbound is ridiculous. Castlevania SotN has MUCH LESS items and they're all required for 100% completion (or 200.6% if you're hardcore)... :facepalm:

DeadlyLuvdisc and Darklight like this.
  19. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Sometimes. Not always. Frankly, I find Red Stims and Bandages just don't compare to a heaping bowl of Oculemon Stew for health regen, so I guess we should throw out the Red Stims and Bandages, huh?

And what does "not getting hurt" have to do with whether or not extra healing items should exist? Not letting enemies get close enough to bite is a better alternative to letting them do that, so I guess let's remove all non-guns?

Hey, you know what would help your storage issue?

The over 100 different styles of storage devices you can set down just about anywhere in your ship that are all functionally the same.

Bang, problem more than solved. Or should we eliminate everything but the ship locker?

More interesting to who? You? Personally I find the wealth of recipe options a nice world-building touch that doesn't detract form the game at all, and the sheer amount of farmables gives me some ideas for creative build projects. You know. That other thing the game was designed for.

And whose time? Adding new items is ridiculously fast once the art team has the assets, and these folks seems pretty adept at cranking out pixels at speed. That's part of the easy modability of the game at work.

And people like collecting. People generally don't try and capture every Pokemon with the intent of training and raising every last one to maximum efficacy, but they collect for the collecting and then keep their focus on a smaller sub-sect they prefer for one reason or another.

Useless? The aforementioned Stew, along with several other food items, heal damage (sometimes at better rates) and give other effects. That's useful.

Sorry, but these arguments ain't holding water. It's all basically boiling down to "oh no, options!".

C:SotN was also a smaller game. And isn't that 100% MAP completion, not item collection? Cuz there's a lot of stuff you only get from monster drops. And on top of all that, the % only nets a different ending and bragging rights. Not exactly practical, "useful" things.[DOUBLEPOST=1419842861][/DOUBLEPOST]And there's still not actually been an answer to why Food is different from pretty much Everything Else In The Game. You know, like all those functionally pointless decor items.

20. HI-MAX²

@M_Sipher, I will not quote it cuz it's very confusing...

Anyway, people have spoken above. There're dozens of items that do practically the same thing and are taking up space for nothing. And YES, time (TIME IS MONEY) and effort... Otherwise we would be playing the stable version now.

Of course C:SotN is a smaller game, but there's a reason to collect these that you say useless. In Starbound not, there're literally thousands of items we can ignore cuz they're too generic... TOO GENERIC... :(

[Edit]
    PS: Wait, you will compare food with decorations now? I give up! :slowpoke:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    Madzai and Darklight like this.