1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Persistent Farmables 1.03 EK 20140228

Crops grow even while you're not looking!

1. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

JTE submitted a new mod:

Persistent Farmables - Crops grow even while you're not looking!

Read more about this mod...

Kittails and Daikaze like this.
  2. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

JTE updated Persistent Farmables with a new update entry:

Bug fixes, non-realtime mode added.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  3. Do they stay growing on any planet you've generate?

4. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

Yes. Every time you visit them, they're updated with all of the time you've been playing while you were away. Doesn't matter if it's your starter planet, your home planet, or some planet you're keeping track of with another mod entirely.

Svarr Chanston and Finn Learson like this.
  5. Oh wow, is that much more cpu/ram intensive? I wonder because as opposed to a cached planet file I think some part of that planet would still have to be running for the game to keep track of seed time growth. That is interesting though I'll have to try it out after i clear my crops lol.

6. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

Will this break vanilla crops on all planets as well? or just specifically crops YOU'VE planted. Not including ones that are generated in by the game.

7. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

I don't believe it breaks wild crops, no. They are a separate object entirely. (wildbananaseed instead of bananaseed, etc.)

And no, it doesn't keep the planets loaded or anything. The plants just wake up when you see them again and go "oh, this much time has passed, I better grow to the next stage."

8. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

Excellent! Thank you very much :3

9. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

Ack, sorry! There was a bug in the current release that was making plants take forever (literally) to grow, I will fix it in a moment! X__X

10. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

JTE updated Persistent Farmables with a new update entry:

Bug fix! Aaaa.

Read the rest of this update entry...

11. Shadewarp

Shadewarp Pangalactic Porcupine

12. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

:S It seems someone misinterpreted this to mean that your crops just automatically replant themselves when you harvest them instead of giving you their own seed. That would be neat, I guess? It's a simple thing to change in the script... Anyone else want that?

13. Shadewarp

Shadewarp Pangalactic Porcupine

Not I - planting is a part of the game, and if I want to relocate some crops or replace them it would be a hazzle ( having to remove the plot and re-ho and plant)

As a seperate mod perhaps? Since we have the _merge, it could be done in another mod compatible with this... But please keep them seperated!

renbear likes this.
  14. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

I agree with this. Make it optional if nothing else. Definitely not part of the base mod.

Shadewarp likes this.
  15. Etherdreamer

Etherdreamer Phantasmal Quasar

I not a code wise, but, is not cpu extensive because (I assume) the mod keep a track in a time save-load. Example. you plant a crop at 7:00, you leave the planet (crop X time saved to 7:00---- You goes offline for dinner, you back at 8:00, you goes into planet, mod reads you planted Crop X at 7:00, mod force grow ticks till 8:00.

Again I not sure if this the method, but as you see, is a save load than triggers one time when you enter in the planet, not CPU extensive at all. The "real time" could be just "like" real time but is not.

Is a theory, not sure actually what method the author make to do this. Right now I adding crops from other mods like Industrialization Mod one, wonders if I doing it correctly

Code:
    "__merge" : [],
      "objectType" : "wire",

"scripts" : [ "/objects/farmables/jte_farmable.lua" ],
      "scriptDelta" : 60,

"animation" : "/objects/farmables/jte_farmable.animation",
      "animationParts" : {
        "plant" : "copperseed.png"
      },
      "animationPosition" : [0, 0],

"jte_farmable" : {
        "growingStates" : ["growing.1","growing.2"],
        "harvestStates" : ["harvest.1","harvest.2","harvest.3","harvest.4","harvest.5"]
      },

"inboundNodes" : [],
      "outboundNodes" : []
    }

Finn Learson likes this.
  16. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

Yes, that is exactly correct. As long as it has exactly 2 growing states and exactly 5 harvest states, all you need to change is the <plant>seed.png line, and make sure you put the config file in the right place for that plant so they merge.

17. So it doesn't check real-time, more like when the planet is loaded it checks previous ticker against current time and updates the image and growth cycle variable number accordingly?

18. Etherdreamer

Etherdreamer Phantasmal Quasar

Well yes sorry about my grammar.
    I am making assumptions, the thing is you donĀ“t really need to worry about the "cpu starve mod", perhaps the author could clear this.

@JTE I am using the same folder structure and filename for the new added seeds. foldername is like the plantname pic file, them inside save AS plantname.object.

I am using Notepad ++

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  19. Nah it wasn't too bad =]. I was just trying to reword it to see if I was understanding correctly.

20. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

There are two modes the mod can run in. If, in jte_farmables.lua the variable REALTIME (near the top of the file) is set to true (it's not by default), it only uses the system timestamp and continues growing while the game is closed, and works exactly the way Etherdreamer described in example.

If REALTIME is set to false, it also uses the program's running time on top of that to determine if the game has been rebooted recently, and if so, only counts the time since the program first started up. This means that you don't get credit for the time spent between when you last visited your crops and when you started the game up again, so that crops won't always be fully grown if you take a break.

Magician Xy likes this.