1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Persistent Farmables 1.03 EK 20140228

Crops grow even while you're not looking!

1. Deserok

Deserok Aquatic Astronaut

if I wanted this on a server, would it need to be installed server-side and client side, server-side only, or client-side only?

I run a dedicated server, but i don't know which side actually calculates that sort of thing

2. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

I'm fairly certain the Lua scripts are run by the server, but the client needs the configs to know the 'animation' states anyway, so it needs to be installed on both I'm afraid. :(

3. Deserok

Deserok Aquatic Astronaut

understood, would it cause any considerable errors if the client-side doesn't have the mod, I have a small whitelisted server, so it shouldn't be a problem. i'd like to know about any hard-incompatibilities though.

4. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Phantasmal Quasar

I can see them implementing this into the main game, really impressive mod! Reminds me a lot of Animal Crossing with the whole realtime thing :p

5. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

I have no idea. Feel free to test it for me and see what happens? Honestly from what I've seen it's likely the plants would just turn invisible or something, but I really don't know. :(
    Considering that the default crops are all hardcoded in the C++, I'm certain any coding changes they make to have similar effects of this mod will likely be done entirely from scratch, better implemented and less erroneous anyway. It makes me sad to admit, but this little hack is just the best I could do with what's available to me as a non-developer, and I really wish I could do more. :(

6. Etherdreamer

Etherdreamer Phantasmal Quasar

Here is the files fro the Industrial mod plants, I not totally sure if they are ok. @JTE can you check is they are fine? because you can add them to the OP, so anyone can download it.

Attached Files:

7. kodemunkey

kodemunkey Phantasmal Quasar

Do i just drop the files in my mod folder?

8. Etherdreamer

\Starbound\Mods\jte_farming1.02\objects\farmables
    (fixed)

But I not really sure if they are working without any troubles. If you are going to try it, make backups just in case.

You can wait for @JTE if they files are correct.

EDIT: my bad how I put Industrialization folder for this, for sure was sleepy ><

The correct folder is of course inside the jte-farming1.0.2 folder.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  9. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

I do not believe your config files work as intended considering the first one I opened was not even a proper json... The opening { is missing before "__merge". :( That is necessary for it to load properly, isn't it?

Aside from that, I would recommend making it a separate mod with
    Code:
    "dependencies" : ["jte_farming", "industrialization"]
    in the modinfo.

10. Etherdreamer

Oh well something like that I was thinking like "I think this thing is not even working at all"

Mind to provide a detailed example if anyone want to add other crops? the Industrialization one could be nice because a lot of people are using this mod.

11. 1John5vs7

1John5vs7 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

This mod is not working for me at all. I have dragged and dropped the files into my mods folder in my Starbound directory. I opened up the .lua with a text editor and changed local REALTIME from = false to =true. Still nothing. What am I doing wrong? Is this updated to be compatible with Angry Koala?

12. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

This was designed for Angry Koala from the start and if it is compatible with multiplayer at all it would have to be installed on the server as well as the clients. The folder structure should look like "...\steamapps\common\Starbound\mods\jte_farming\objects\farmables\jte_farmable.lua" and so on.

You will know it is installed and working correctly if you try to break plants with a pickaxe or matter manipulator and they don't animate, a sign that they are now 'wired' Lua scripted objects instead of normal farmables.

1John5vs7 likes this.
  13. 1John5vs7

Ok. I am the one running the server, so if I have it in my game folder it should be good to go, right?

Also: Does this mean that if I mis-place a seed while I'm planting, I won't be able to break it with my drill and move it to the proper location?

Note: I did just test it out on single player. All of my planted crops on single player are gone...totally destroyed. This makes sense to me since you said that the mod destroys all planted crops from before the mod. I had harvested everything in multiplayer. Then I closed Starbound, loaded the mod, and started Starbound back up. I replanted all my seeds and it doesn't seem to work, yet the fact that my single player plants were destroyed would seem to indicate that the mod is, indeed, working.

However, when I planted a seedling, I was able to move it with my matter manipulator, so I'm not sure if it is working as you indicate. Please advise at your convenience, and thank you for trying to help me.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  14. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

The mod is likely required for all of your clients, not just you. Otherwise there will be data type mismatches and whatnot playing havoc with it. Hmm. You can also try setting DEBUG = true to see if they grow, because that should make them grow ten times as fast, and print more messages to the server console as they do. It should be very visible.

15. 1John5vs7

BUG REPORT: I made certain to harvest all my crops before installing the mod. I installed the mod per the instructions and rebooted Starbound. Nevertheless, when I planted my seeds again and logged off, upon logging back in all my crops were destroyed. Frustration. Has anyone else noticed this bug?

Update: However, the mod DOES appear to be working now (at least when I am on my ship...haven't tried logging out and testing it). So don't be a goof like I was...I had not yet expanded my farm much (only had like 3 pineapple seeds, for instance) so when I re-planted, I planted all of some of my seeds. This was a mistake. As a farmer, you should always always always keep a seed or two in reserve just in case of total catastrophic crop failure. Protip.

EDIT: In response to your question, I also rebooted the server. It's all good, I (almost) have all of my seeds back now.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  16. JTE

JTE Phantasmal Quasar

Did you forget to reboot the server too or something..? =__= It only destroys vanilla crops when they transition to mod crops.

17. 1John5vs7

Ok, I now have this mod working, but holy COW! My frames/second drops to almost nothing when I have more than just a few plants on screen! You mentioned that your mod basically replaces plants with a wired item set on a timer. Is this what's killing my FPS? Do I basically have hundreds of seeds each on their own separate wire and on their own separate timer? Is there any way to tweak this mod so it's less intensive? I have a decent computer, though not top of the line. Here's a link to my system specs:

http://pastebin.com/R7tpS7Yc

Any advice on how to get better performance? I am craaaaaaaaaaaaaaawling along trying to farm!

18. disregardfemales

disregardfemales Space Hobo

After installing this mod it turned all my current seeds in my inventory into perfectly generic blocks, and seeds that weren't changed I can't actually plant them, they just appear as little tiny dots that cannot be planted into the dirt anymore. I was trying to run this on a server personally. Also planting has pretty much ceased to work even after removing the mod. Any ideas on how to fix this or what may have caused this mishap?

19. 1John5vs7

Ouch. Sounds like you'd have to either:
    a.) copy and paste your backed up vanilla copies of the files into your game folder
    OR
    b.) if you didn't make a backup, reinstall Starbound

20. Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Honestly, no. I'd much rather see you be able to buy and place farming NPCs that will 'restrain themselves' to the farm plot (and of course, go inside when it's night time =p) and then they will harvest the crops and replant them for you. The NPC would then store surplus seeds (keeping at least 1 anyway) as well as the crops in a 'farming storage chest' so you can pick them up when you return.

That being said, I think it's perfectly fine just having it so the crops still grow while the game is running and you're on a planet somewhere else. I don't see the need to make them auto-replant themselves unless you do what I mentioned above or make some super expensive mechanism that does it for you or something. *shrugs*

I think there's some farming mod in the works to do this already, though it's still early stages, I believe (much like the game itself).