1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed ACCESS VIOLATION after update

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Sivarius, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaDestitute

LaDestitute Subatomic Cosmonaut

Did you remember to change the config file afterwards, or at least do it correctly?

2. Nightrunner91

Nightrunner91 Master Chief

What config exactly? You mean sbboot.config in win32 folder? I changed it as Goldark said:
    Should I change it again?

3. SouThhy

SouThhy Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, unpacking .pak works as a charm c:

4. Bierbart

Bierbart Void-Bound Voyager

I hate that no one reads at least the 3 last pages of threads anymore... :(

renbear likes this.
  5. LaDestitute

LaDestitute Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think you specifically have to put "../assets/unpacked" as thats what worked when I did it.

6. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Void-Bound Voyager

I also was getting an exception 0 error and i tried unpacking the .pak and modifying the config file but all it did is change the error message. Here is the new error message after unpacking the .pak and modifying the sbbot file.

(asset exception) no such asset'/assets.config'
    assetexception::assetexception(string)
    assets::read(string)
    assets::readvariant(string)
    assets::load()
    assets::assets(stringlist)
    root::root(string, string, loglevel, bool, string, map<string, variant,
    unordered_map<string, variant, hash<string, void>, equal_to<string>,
    allocator<pair<string, variant>>>>)
    root::partialinitialize(map<string, stringlist, unordered_map<string,
    stringlist, hash<string, void>, equal_to<string>, allocator<pair<string,
    stringlist>>>>)
    _sdl_main
    _console_main

7. Hausmeierkarl

Hausmeierkarl Void-Bound Voyager

Your error says that the game either can't find the config file or your assets. It actually looks like you set the path not to your folder where the assets are, but to a assets.config that shouldn't exist in the first place.

You can't copy the same string from the instruction to your config. You have to use your own folder names and directories!
    So if your unpacked assets are in assets/unpacked. You have to change the line from "assets/packed.pak" to "assets/unpacked/" . Again, this is all in the sboot.config in the win32/win64 folder.
    You don't have to create a new config or edit anything else than this:

This is the original
    {
    "handleFatalSignals" : true,
    "handleInterruptSignal" : true,
    "assetSources" : [
    "../assets/packed.pak",
    "../assets/user"

You have to change only the line "assets/packed.pak".
    Let's say you have unpacked the assets directly into the assets folder. Then it has to look like this:

{
    "../assets/," <-------------------------
    "../assets/user"

If you have a sub-directory where the unpacked assets are, you have to change it to that, so it has to look like this:

{
    "../assets/subdirectory/," <------------------------
    "../assets/user"

My unpacked assets are in "steamapps\common\Starbound\assets/unpacked/" so I used the latter to point to "unpacked/". "subdirectory" is just a placeholder!

Please try to watch out for developer announcements/posts and explanations from others. All the instructions are already here and in several threads.
    Keep an eye out for new Developer tweets, like the ones from Kyren. You can find it here in the Forum Sidebar.
    This is only a temporary workaround!

Edit:

For unpacking, use the .bat linked to in this post http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/quick-guide-to-unpack-your-starbound-assets-folder.66583/
    Put it in your win32/win64 folder and start it. It accesses the starbound unpacker.exe that would normally run through the command line.

If you are on Win7/8/10, try to move the unpacked assets out of Steam and generally the "Program Files" folder or wherever you have the game installed. Then adjust the config again to point to the full path of the new unpacked assets folder.
    If it was "../assets/subdirectory/" before. Change it to "C:\YourUnpackedAssets/," . Fill in your own Hard Drive partition, folder and again any sub-directories in between.
    If that doesn't work, move the whole game folder out of any directories that are protected by Admin rights. If necessary, put it right on the Desktop or in the root of your partition C:/ etc.
    You can't use Steam with it anymore, but it should write the proper rights for all the files now.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    renbear and Airling like this.
  8. Bierbart

Bierbart Void-Bound Voyager

So.. what's the problem then? It doesn't work for me either.
    I tried moving the stuff to a subdirectory and in the /assets/ folder, both times changing the config accordingly, yet this error persists.
    Why would it wanna have a file that doesn't exist?

Anyways, this is the last solution i tried. None of the other ones in this thread work.
    Well, the removing and redownloading the packed.pak worked for a few hours, but then it stopped.

9. Hausmeierkarl

If you are on Win7/8/10, try to move the unpacked assets out of Steam and generally the "Program Files" folder or wherever you have the game installed. Then adjust the config again to point to the full path of the new unpacked assets folder.
    If it was "../assets/subdirectory/" before. Change it to "C:\YourUnpackedAssets/," . Fill in your own Hard Drive partition and again any sub-directories in between.
    If that doesn't work, move the whole game folder out of any directories that are protected by Admin rights. If necessary, put it right on the Desktop or in the root of your partition C:/ etc.
    You can't use Steam with it anymore, but it should write the proper rights for all the files now.

From Kyren
    Win XP isn't the only OS with issues though. Since it's pretty universal, I'd guess the workaround should apply to other Systems as well. But there is no guarantee. For some it works, for some it doesn't.
    They are working on a fix. It shouldn't be too long now.

10. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Void-Bound Voyager

I fixed it by reverting the changes i had done in the config file to normal:
    {
    "../assets/packed.pak",
    "../assets/user"

And then i moved the entire starbound folder from my second drive A:/program files (x86)/steam/common/steamapps/...

to C:/
    making it C:/Starbound
    then i went into the c:/Starbound/win32/starbound.exe

Everything seems to works fine so it may be the difference between same OS running the game fine and others having the exception 0 thing. Many people use a second harddrive to put their games into it.

My grammar is probably ridiculous and i apologize in advance for those who are going to read my post. My main language is French.

Edit: Before trying this, i followed your instructions and changed my config from:

{
    "../assets/,"
    "../assets/user"

to

{
    "../assets/unpacked/,"
    "../assets/user"

And the result was just another error about line 6 or 7 (im not sure anymore)

11. Nightrunner91

Nightrunner91 Master Chief

Thank you SO MUCH for the explanation about unpacking, Hausmeierkarl!

Now game at least launches. I can get access to main menu, buuuut... game freezes after choosing character. Can wait for a long time after this and nothing happens. One more negative moment is DAMN LONG loading at the start (about 1-2 minutes) but it's not very critical.[DOUBLEPOST=1422797616][/DOUBLEPOST]UPDATE: Finally I can play. (I just waited a bit longer after choosing character). On the ship it's all fine, but on the planet are terrible lags :/ And THIS is stable build?:lod:
    Will try some methods which I used to increase FPS before Giraffe, maybe it will work

12. Hausmeierkarl

Glad you got it to work! Depending on your System, the performance can suffer under the unpacked assets. I have to wait through at least 5 minutes of Loading at the start. You definitely have to bring patience, since the loading times increase in every situation. The game probably reads every file seperately now. Not sure how it really works though. On my machine, the Outpost lags, other planets are fine so far. Except quicksand on desert planets.

13. Johan

Johan Phantasmal Quasar

With the last today's update, game runs normally in win10, :D

Sorry bad english

14. Aldrin

Aldrin Master Chief

Still nothing about Vista ?

15. Russeru

Russeru Aquatic Astronaut

For those still having this issue, try installing it somewhere else other than "Program Files", like C:/Steam or something. Kyren just tweeted that the problem is related to that, and it fixed my issue on Windows 10.

16. Aldrin

Aldrin Master Chief

Can you tell me how to do it ? I'm afraid to make a mistake ... ^^'

17. CrazyBernie

CrazyBernie Void-Bound Voyager

When editing the config file... you need to get rid of the "/" after assets...

You put:

"../assets/,"

You need to put "../assets",

Make sure the comma is on the outside as well.

Here's what mine looks like, and it's running great:

"../assets",
    "../assets/user"

I'm running Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9926, and I have my Steam Folder on a D drive (D:\Games\Steam)

Unpacking the files was the only solution that worked for me as well.

18. Aldrin

Aldrin Master Chief

I try installing it somewhere else but always "there is already a steam folder"

19. CrazyBernie

CrazyBernie Void-Bound Voyager

You have to move the existing Steam folder and then run the Steam.exe application to "reinstall" it.

For example: "C:\Program Files\Steam" (or "C:\Program Files (x86)Steam" on 64 bit Windows) is the defaul installation for Steam. If you move that Folder to "C:\Steam" you would then double-click the "Steam.exe" file and it will automatically update the install location.

20. renbear

renbear Cosmic Narwhal

I think that's still Katuo's fix, since it also has the side effect of loading the .pak file into memory. Nonetheless, I'll give it a whirl. Did it continue working after a reboot? (Or any high-memory-usage activity, like playing a modern MMO?)[DOUBLEPOST=1422818464][/DOUBLEPOST]
    NONONONONO

You do NOT need to uninstall Steam!!! Add a new Steam Library Folder. In the Steam settings, go to the Downloads section (in the list at the left), then hit the Steam Library Folders button. Add a new directory. Delete the local files of Starbound, then reinstall it to the new library folder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.