1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed ACCESS VIOLATION after update

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Sivarius, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Almasy

James Almasy Void-Bound Voyager

Goldark's workaround works.

still on the slow side, but have some patience.

2. Nightrunner91

Nightrunner91 Master Chief

It is approximately 7 years old, as well as all harware is, so I guess that's the main problem. But I believe it can handle that sort of graphic. For example, I can play in games on Source Engine or in different platformers like Terraria pretty well. Processor has 2 cores both 2,8 GHz:

2015-02-02 19-56-59.jpg 2015-02-02 19-59-22.jpg

3. airbourne89

airbourne89 Aquatic Astronaut

I finally made it working... it is true, what renbear posted about starbound being unable to deal with secondary hard disks... I just right now saved everything in C:/SteamLibrary and it works! Thanks to [/SIZE][COLOR=#bfbfbf][SIZE=4][SIZE=3]severedskullz for his help in the beginning and all the others, that were posting so relentlessly! =)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Edit: I'm too stupid for BB code :p

4. Caveira

Caveira Space Hobo

After one of these last patches it finally worked launching the "experimental 64-bit openGL".

5. Inventor9

Inventor9 Void-Bound Voyager

How exactly did you do it?

6. Napai690

Napai690 Space Spelunker

Even with the new update I am still receiving the same old errors. I uninstalled and re installed again just to be sure, but nothing is working. Sigh.

This is my most recent log

Start logging at: 2015-02-02 15:49:13.510
    [15:49:13.510] Info: Star::Root using bootstrap file 'D :\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Starbound\win64\sbboot.config'
    [15:49:13.510] Info: Star::Root using storage directory 'D :\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\'
    [15:49:13.510] Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    [15:49:13.511] Info: Loading Configuration with config file: 'starbound.config'
    [15:49:13.511] Info: Creating default Star::Configuration
    [15:49:13.511] Info: Writing Star::Configuration to '.\../giraffe_storage\starbound.config'
    [15:49:13.515] Error: Access violation detected at 0x7fff264bb88c (Read of address 0)
    [15:49:13.580] Error: Stack Trace...

Had to add spaces to the D : drive because it was making this face D: In the forums xD

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  7. Inventor9

Holy cow I just downloaded the update and it works!!!!! EVEN AFTER I RESTARTED THE COMPUTER!!!!!!! :) :p

8. Napai690

Napai690 Space Spelunker

I really wish it was that simple for whatever the hell is happening to my damn game. I bought this on friday and have not been able to play at all since I bought it. Steam has logged 2 hours of me playing it because of how often I've opened it to check if a fix I ran fixed it. Sigh...

Glad you got your game working

9. supernet2

supernet2 Existential Complex

Fixes that work for me;

Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1+ =

1) Directory/pak fix only works selectively on 32bit and 64bit builds, no idea how to determine which build it works on, If it doesn't work try the root directory of C drive, (having that one starbound folder) in C drive, someone mentioned it prior to me posting here in one of the forum posts.

2) Try opening the game with the .pak still archived/unarchived method and only RUN 32bit .exe OpenGL or 64bit OpenGL. For me on all windows 7 computers i own navigating to the directory of where starbound is installed and running starbound.exe 32bit/OpenGL or 32bit mode OR 64bit OpenGL worked flawlessly for me (no idea why but launcher will refuse to launch it).

3) Give Full administrative rights to the 32bit/64bit .exe and OpenGL starbound program.

4) Give Administrative rights with compatibility mode in all modes (xp sp3-win7 builds) one of them MAY work (in my instance windows vista build worked) no idea why it just did.

Out of 19 machines i tested this on windows builds, only 3 of them (1x 64bit & 2x 32bit) worked and they were all windows 7 home premium/professional builds.

Out of 4 linux machines i've tried i haven't encountered issues

Out of 1 mac machine i've tried, i've encountered issues that i have 0 idea how to fix

Good luck, hopefully one of my rehashing of methods i tried worked for you, as for me only again the method that works for me is 32bit .exe and 32bit OpenGL, and 64bit OpenGL WITH OUT the unpacking pak method (in a secondary directory on another hard drive/ external/multi partitioned drive). As for main directory same results as what i've listed as what has actually worked for me successfully.

10. Napai690

Napai690 Space Spelunker

Sadly, I've given all of this a go. It seems that my game isn't crashing on assets or anything of the sort. It stops and pukes whenever it trying to run the config or something. I don't completely understand it, but I'm beginning to think that my problem is different altogether, as much as I want it to be like everyone elses

I'm also running windows 8.1, but that really shouldn't be the issue. If it is. Wtf

11. Inventor9

Thanks, but Don't forget I already emailed chucklefish about it, and will still relate to everyone what they say.

12. supernet2

i have 7 windows 8/8.1+ devices... it is definitely a huge issue with the T100 series, Laptop win8s, Toshiba satellite series as those are the laptop manufacturers i use. Im assuming it could possibly be a issue with the cyber power pc issues, but the 3 windows computers that worked were cyber power pc based rigs (1 laptop 2 desktops) so... yeah. If its just code source i dont understand how its affecting loading on this level. But i do have a idea, on windows 7+ i think windows 8 still qualifies to get the vmware version of windows xp so you can run windows xp virtualized on your win7/8 devices, give it a whirl, who knows it might work.

13. Napai690

Napai690 Space Spelunker

I'll give it a go... if it works. Great. I really hope it does[DOUBLEPOST=1422928099][/DOUBLEPOST]I cannot seem to install the VM box for the virtual machine -x -

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  14. supernet2

Man im sorry im not to sure about that, but i'd like to say that the update that came out on 2/2/2015 (at least the one i got)
    For your issue though the VM box requires a few key/specific kb install updates from microsoft, you'll need to google it to get more details as its a bit hard to explain. So heres a quick guide/tutorial. --> http://zeltser.com/windows-xp-mode-for-vmware-virtualization/ just follow it through to get it working on win vista/7/win8

On the upside update released on 2/2/2015 has brought up my compatibility numbers to... all Win8+ computers to almost full functionality under OpenGL 32bit mode (64bit mode i cant get working still) but on the upside the game functions on my win8 pcs. Heres a screenshot confirming my build #

[​IMG]

Edit: The beauty here is also that everything works with out lag, although thats on the win8 32bit OpenGL version. on windows 7 OpenGL 32bit crashes due to memory leaks, on win7 OpenGL 64bit, i have 0 issues with memory but the game lags slightly fluxing between 30-55-60fps.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  15. Napai690

Napai690 Space Spelunker

Sad part is... update did nothing. Also, I tried following the instructions and could not duplicate them. VMware must have changed or he must have had the paid version -shrug- Anyhow. I'm just going to sit and wait and hope. Seems to be the only thing I can do.

16. supernet2

17. Nightrunner91

Nightrunner91 Master Chief

3rd February update made me happy, but only for a few minutes. I noticed some improvement of productivity on the surface but when I left underground FPS dropped to "normal" 15 FPS.:mad:
    I noticed also abnormally high usage of my CPU when I beam to planet. Here is comparison of two situations: on the ship and underground (or on the surface, don't matter)
    2015-02-03 16-45-3.jpg 2015-02-03 16-41-2.jpg

I created also this thread where I explained my problem more developed

18. airbourne89

airbourne89 Aquatic Astronaut

Did you try to create a new steam folder on your primary hard disk and then just install the game into that?

19. Napai690

Napai690 Space Spelunker

Yes. I have

20. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

Here's the deal: Most of us really don't care if you use WinXP. If you want to endanger your personal information, that's fine by us.

But STOP ENCOURAGING OTHERS TO USE IT.

It DOES NOT SOLVE ANY PROBLEMS, it CREATES them when developers aren't allowed to update any-fucking-thing to modern standards, and have to create multiple code paths to maintain support with deprecated parts of the API.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.