1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed ACCESS VIOLATION after update

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Sivarius, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyBernie

CrazyBernie Void-Bound Voyager

Or, you could move the whole Steam folder, just like I said. I prefer to have all my games in one folder, not strewn about. I never said anything about uninstalling Steam.

2. Aldrin

Aldrin Master Chief

Still not work :/ ... this way probably doesn't work for vista, I'm going to wait a new update or a tweet from kyren to fix it. But thank you very much CrazyBernie for your help :D[DOUBLEPOST=1422822539][/DOUBLEPOST]Does the problem could come from the old saves ?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  3. Napai690

Napai690 Space Spelunker

I did everything suggested here. I already have my steam pointing outside of programfiles. It's in the root of my D : drive. This is what keeps happening, no matter what I do.

[​IMG]
    This is the first error that appears

[​IMG]
    This is the second error that appears

[​IMG]
    And of course, the crash error

The errors may be different when I change things around, but they all look extremely similar no matter what I do.

4. renbear

renbear Cosmic Narwhal

Re-installed to my other Steam Library Folder, no longer in a sub-directory of C:\Program Files. No change, still no workie.
    The problem with your method is that (to my knowledge) it is deadly to other games. Starbound would work, but there are games that just can't be relocated willy-nilly like that, without reinstalling them from scratch. Most people have more than one game through Steam.

PLEASE use the alternate Steam Library Folder method, instead, unless you KNOW you're going to be OK. Steam supplies that option for a reason.

5. Hausmeierkarl

Hausmeierkarl Void-Bound Voyager

All the instructions are here in the thread. Read them carefully and it should work. I can only recommend to completely discard Steam for the workaround. Just move the Starbound folder in a different directory. In any way, the assets are the important part and it should work already once the packed.pak is unpacked and the config adjusted.
    I've been playing for two days now and the errors have ceased entirely from the moment I used the unpacked assets.
    There are exceptions of course. In that case, don't destroy your Steam install. Just wait for the impending fix.

Use this post http://community.playstarbound.com/...lation-after-update.89542/page-3#post-2413358
    I tried to describe it more thoroughly http://community.playstarbound.com/...lation-after-update.89542/page-5#post-2416294

There seem to be issues when extracting the packed.pak with the command line. Either by simple mistakes or errors in the System. There are several tools that automate that process and make it less prone to failures. I linked a unpack.bat in my post that works quite well.

6. Napai690

Napai690 Space Spelunker

I tried all of this. All of what you said, all of what was said before, and all I'm getting is the same errors. It's starting to get on my nerves.

7. Kougeru

Kougeru Void-Bound Voyager

I've been having this issue for 9 months. It's STILL happening. Windows 7 64 bit. The latest mini-patch the other day added a "experimental" 64-bit launcher. This is the only launcher that will work. Standard and OpenGL keep crashing. Mad FPS drops (Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes runs better on max settings lol), but it runs. This is a serious issue though, that many people have been reporting for over a year with no real fix. There are dozens of fixes but none have worked for me and others (until 64 bit launcher for me, obviously). This should be a focus now that this major patch has been released.

8. supernet2

supernet2 Existential Complex

only 64bit OpenGL works for me and is the only functional version that's worked for me since stable launch, funny though that the nightly branch runs perfectly fine for me compared to its stable counterpart.

Edit: The unpack trick doesn't work for me at all on any of the computers that were failing to load starbound

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  9. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Phantasmal Quasar

Using Windows 7 32 Bit and I cant run it to save my life, and the only reason I am currently pissed off is there is no way to DOWNGRADE to the previous version to allow me to play even if at this point, I would WANT to play. I mean, hurray, now once again, my money is hostage cause of a faulty update. I would say its expected because its obviously in "beta" but with THIS many people experiences so many varied problems, especially in what is supposed to be the "STABLE" release.

10. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

The Win10 Technical Preview is just a face-lifted Win8.1 with a new kernel major version number.

That, and Microsoft's goal is 100% backwards compatibility in 100% of cases.

11. James Almasy

James Almasy Void-Bound Voyager

I've tried to use the unpacker manually by command prompt and using the batch file, but in both instances it freezes. is It supposed to do that?

12. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

Leave it for a while. Maybe 30 minutes. It takes quite a while to unpack everything.

13. James Almasy

James Almasy Void-Bound Voyager

Took it a while, but this is the first time I haven't gotten a runtime error / stack overflow.

At the title screen now... hoping for the best.

14. andao

andao Space Hobo

I had this problem and multiple uninstall/re-installs did not fix it. After unpacking the .pak and changing the config file, it works like a dream. Running Win 10 build 9926

15. Nightrunner91

Nightrunner91 Master Chief

Offensively to hear how some people play with pleasure after doing this, because I did right the same thing on my Win XP SP3 and I still have terrible-terrible lags in the game.:(

16. Tellheim

Tellheim Poptop Tamer

I didnt change any files, the last update seems to have solved the problems. Started the game several times without experiencing any erros while loading. (XP SP3)

17. delink

delink Void-Bound Voyager

It works on WinXP Pro SP3 with the workaround postet in this Thread.

Look here:

073.jpg

sbboot.config:
    Code:
    "assetSources" : [
        "../assets/unpacked",
        "../assets/user"
      ],

You have to unpack the packed.pak file first. Like Hausmeierkarl posted before on thread page 5.

18. Aldrin

Aldrin Master Chief

New update a few minutes ago, problem solved ! I am so happy to hear this sweet melody ... :D

19. Nightrunner91

Nightrunner91 Master Chief

Yeah, with new update I can launch the game both with unpacked or packed assets, no more "ACCESS VIOLATION" errors, loading is much faster and it is good news! But... I still have lags, dammit.:confused: As soon as I beam to planet FPS doesn't jump over 20, game looks like a slideshow and this is still unplayable (on the ship FPS is pretty good though). I don't know what else I can do, maybe my PC really needs update to handle that sort of graphic? :facepalm: Please tell me it's not the truth.

DualCore Intel Pentium D 915, 2800 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT (512 Мб)
    2 Gb RAM
    Windows XP SP3

P.S.: I played on Koala patches on 30-40 FPS experiencing difficulties only on large bases or dungeons.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  20. Hausmeierkarl

Hausmeierkarl Void-Bound Voyager

Good to know! I'll try the update myself and see what has changed. I hope this fixes the errors for good. As far as performance goes, the game is far from optimized.
    With new scripts and additions it probably is more demanding now. How old is that processor though? Is it really 2x 2,8 GHz or 2,8 in total? That might be the problem.
    My machine is absolutely low end, and except for the outpost and a few other scenarios, it runs perfect. (1GB VRam, Intel Core2Duo 1,8Ghz, 2GB RAM)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.