Space Ship Customization

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by Llamachamaboat, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Llamachamaboat

Llamachamaboat Orbital Explorer

I do not know if this is already something that you are working on, but will the spaceships be something you can design yourself? It would be cool if you could design a unique craft to travel to distant planets in. Different wings, cockpits, boosters, rooms, etc. This game looks awesome in the realms of world exploration, it would be cool to make space exploration a unique and interesting experience as well! :)

~Update! 12/12/13~
    So I love the ships, I think they are amazing. But will we ever get the option to upgrade our ship size?
    I would love to travel the galaxy in a star cruiser, my very own mobile space station.

You could make it more fuel intensive, also it could dock your current star ship within its hull.

Just food for thought! ^_^

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    toby109tt, Shonito, T35. and 91 others like this.
  2. Fishcake

Fishcake Pangalactic Porcupine

moeve, PabloElPuas, Sheez and 3 others like this.
  3. aenguscameron1

aenguscameron1 Master Chief

I WANT MY OWN SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(it would be pink)

4. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

Just saying this was one of the first things announced for Starbound, but they are putting it off.
    Don't know all the details but I think they want to make it coincide somewhat with tier progression.
    I don't know about paint jobs though that would be sick.

moeve likes this.
  5. Wilcol

Wilcol Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, I know they were messing around with a few features. One was allowing you to place objects inside your ship, and that seemed to go pretty smoothly. I know it's not the type of customisation you're talking about, but it's a start.

They also experimented with adding to your ship with normal blocks, but that ended up looking pretty awful.

Hopefully they'll have prefab parts that you can attach to your ship. I do think the idea of having more space to store things would be worth having. I would definitely go out of my way to boost the storage capacities of my spaceship, seeing as it's a mobile storage device.

6. shardshunt

shardshunt Cosmic Narwhal

moeve and Systemsoad like this.
  7. Wilcol

That's the one there. It does indeed look pretty awful.

8. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

Yah they experimented with building it with blocks.. it didnt work... They might have preset sections( not a whole room but not blocks)

moeve likes this.
  9. Aquillion

Aquillion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Aw man. I don't care how bad it looks, I'd still prefer to be able to modify my ship's structure directly.

moeve, kampfsalat and Systemsoad like this.
  10. dragon2513

dragon2513 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Perhaps they will add a new kind of block that matches the ship so it looks good we will just have to wait and see

moeve and Jarod like this.
  11. Sir_Paddles

Sir_Paddles Void-Bound Voyager

What I'd really like to see is a larger variation in the races starting ships. They have different aesthetics somewhat, yeah, but they're all largely exactly the same.
    Ship customization would be awesome too, but I don't think it'll work with the basic block technique. Maybe have larger, pre-drawn sections that you can fit together?

Hyperaxe1 likes this.
  12. Wilcol

I know what you mean. They're pretty much the same shape, with some like the Human and Floran being exactly the same. While it makes sense to have the same dimensions inside so as to make it all fair, I do hope that the external hulls of the ships will have a bit more variation, or the ability to add said variation through modular parts.

13. Sir_Paddles

Sir_Paddles Void-Bound Voyager

For instance, here is a ship I've been working on for my little race of people.
    [​IMG]
    They' don't have to be incredibly different, but just, I donno, SOME variation in overall design/architecture, instead of all six of them having that same little cockpit extrusion, toob of a center, and little engine compartment.

Hyperaxe1, Leon Wolf and Lordofgeckos like this.
  14. Pianandrill

Pianandrill Void-Bound Voyager

This would be nice but time comsuming.
    I thought about 3 approaches:
    1. Most difficult to implement, where you put some kind of material (blocks) into ship's "adopter". It will transform specific combination of materials into specific parts of ship's blocks that can just be placed, not collected.
    2. Moderate (i think), where you can obtain blueprints of ready parts of ship like Sir_Paddles draw and combine them to extend ship.
    3. Large, where you can attach to ship big and ready chambers ready to fill with predefined blocks like in point 1
    All in all it would be cool when at some point we could modify ships. Although I'm not sure if I prefer this over devs nicely painted one. They look realy good.

VinchenzoJackal and Systemsoad like this.
  15. Rainbow

Rainbow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i agree. everything in the game should be 100% customization, but doesn't need to be (for the lazy people)

16. DubstepPotatoes

DubstepPotatoes Tentacle Wrangler

My own space ship, my lifelong dream!
    [​IMG]

Kotizers and Leon Wolf like this.
  17. Dunham18

Dunham18 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hmm interesting maybe rooms in your spaceships so your npcs wont stay on your planet?
    I remember correctly they announced something like this but what do i know

18. Sillywalks

Sillywalks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

FTL style!

19. mralexs

mralexs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would love to see being able to put decals on your ship and being able to add on to the ship. I agree with the special block or premade part idea

20. dragon2513

dragon2513 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have had a good idea! upgrades to ships and stations, you can go to stations and buy upgrades for yourship with pixels like larger fuel storage, rooms, better beamer downer?

aprhend1 and Shuusei like this.