More Ship Customization

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Rinoka, Jun 5, 2013.

?

Would you be interested in this being added?

1. Heck yeah!

319 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, not really.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rinoka

Rinoka Aquatic Astronaut

Hi! I'm Noka, and I'm here to talk about space ships. As we've seen from the gif, current space ship designs are locked into one specific growth pattern and have no choice but to grow in that way.

I really didn't like that, so I considered some other options. As such, I'd like to suggest the following: Make it so that rooms can be moved around, like they have snap points. It most likely wouldn't take too much editing of the current code, and while it does allow for some... less than functional designs, it also opens the doors to making spaceships a fun, personalized experience. As space ships are a major hub point, they're the only real customization that's very persistent cross-server (considering the idea that planets are on a per-server basis, and characters and ships don't have to be).

In other words, what I'm suggesting:
    • Turning the current designs for spaceships into a base structure with a set amount of rooms, that can have all of the rooms but one snap around.
    • Making these rooms able to be customized a bit. Think about how right now there are three room styles in the GIF - a large window, small continuous windows, and no windows. If there were options to let you change the background style, that'd actually be really cool.
    • Allow outlandish design ideas just as well as others are allowed; consider an idea where someone boxed the cockpit in four rooms.
    This would most likely require turning the system modular, but hopefully it wouldn't be something complex to implement; it'd just make it a lot more simple to make your ship look how you wanted it to look. Plus, this means people can turn their ships into interesting, fun designs; a ship with five floors and an elevator-esque structure, a cathedral-esque ship with a high ceiling and painted pieces of paper to mimic stained glass... The possibilities are endless with this kind of system.

I don't know specifically where this item would go, so I'm slapping it down in Mechanics. I didn't see a thread that specifically suggested these solutions, and if I missed one, my apologies. I just think it'd be cool if we could modify them more then what it looks like now.

(Plus, with the current suggestion of player owned shops, it'd be interesting to let someone use their ship as their own personal, persistent shop.)

2. I agree with more customization, one suggestion came to my mind since saw another suggestion:
    - Since we will have vehicles are mechs, hoverbikes, it would make sense to have a ship upgrade that unlocks a hangar in first that that let us store vehicles there for later use in the planets while exploring. ;)

toby109tt, Kobike, Sherl0ck and 12 others like this.
  3. tavi

tavi Void-Bound Voyager

Now I'm imagining my very own starship Enterprise.

I want this :love:

4. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Sounds good to me, as long as there is a lot of customization for the spaceships then I will be happy for a long time. I would be fine with less spaceship customization in beta though, even until after release of the full game. But I think customization is important, specially for the spaceship because it's like a moving piece of home for the character.

5. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Vehicles, to my knowledge, will be sort of like inflatables (Think DBZ Capsule Co.) That you throw down and they rapidly construct themselves.

onerb2, Exxil3d and Bacon like this.
  6. hailsagan

hailsagan Big Damn Hero

yeah i'd like the ship to be my custom home and the planets to be homes away from home

7. Dubology

Dubology Big Damn Hero

Because the ship technically is your home now since youve been kicked out of your planet or it was destroyed...so i want to feel home. :D

SoulDaft, Hand, BrenSage and 2 others like this.
  8. After SpaceStation was abandoned they indeed need to make a different approach to them, that would be a nice one. ;)

9. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I remember reading somewhere that it would be that way. Rho said it I believe.

BrenSage and Bacon like this.
  10. The Question

The Question Ketchup Robot

As Long As I Can Ride A Four Wheeler From Outer-space Into A Planet I Am Ok.

11. Endyron

Endyron Scruffy Nerf-Herder

IT would be cool to see spaceship battles!

12. treecone

treecone Void-Bound Voyager

I think that you should be able to build rooms that effects your ship in different ways. Like a power room so you can have lights, hanger to store vehicles
    , and so on. That way, there would be something you would have to save up for. Kinda like upgrades. Then if you had this with Spaceship battles... :rolleyes:

Woodvine, holysigma, Lainey and 4 others like this.
  13. BluesF

BluesF Void-Bound Voyager

I came onto the forum just to see if someone was posting about this, I absolutely agree. As much ship customization as possible is best s'far as I'm concerned!

Xirk1984 likes this.
  14. Krikitt

Krikitt Aquatic Astronaut

Do want!
    I have so many plans for start cruisers, battleships and fighters
    however I feel that instead of making drag and drop rooms, it would be better if there were preset
    "Hull blocks"
    that would be used in construction which the more curved surfaces are then generated around. with the controls and thrusters being additions placed on the surfaces where they are needed with certain limits placed on them. such as only having a thruster nozzle and engine being connected to opposing sides of the same wall or things like that.

Xirk1984, Sibernaut and treecone like this.
  15. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

16. Change568

Change568 Space Penguin Leader

Time to pimp my ride.

BrenSage likes this.
  17. Sibernaut

Sibernaut Astral Cartographer

This both streamlined and customizable, nice!
    oh and
    I still think it would be nice to have a hanger bay to display them when they are not in use.

18. MegaManX

MegaManX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

lol, I even have the prints for this Enterprise E. I would try to build that if i could.

19. GoGoMister100

GoGoMister100 Space Spelunker

I'm thinking craftable spaceship addons, so you can go to a workbench and take, say, 500 metal to make a basic room attachment. Maybe there could be different types of rooms that add new benefits to your ship. Engine room, kitchen, lab, etc.

raser12 likes this.
  20. DoctorScotty

DoctorScotty Void-Bound Voyager

Having a customizable space crew would be quite exquisite as well! :up: