Space Ship Customization

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by Llamachamaboat, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Duplo

Duplo Big Damn Hero

There already will be ways to upgrade your ship, Tiy has let us know this in the IRC chat before. The appearance is a little outdated, since all the ships got their awesome new remodels, but here is the topic, as well as the screenshot of an empty level 3 human ship. If I had to wager, the layout will likely still be similar to this. ;)

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/irc-new-starbound-ship.15020/

[​IMG]

I also found this page as well, though again, the ship design is outdated: http://starbounder.org/Ship_Upgrade

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    mortemus, Shuusei and dragon2513 like this.
  2. Notso

Notso Industrial Terraformer

The main issue is that the game is about sandbox-construction, so players feel like they should be able to modify pretty much anything. Moreover, given that the spaceship plays such an important part of any Starbounder's life, it feels wrong not to be able to customize the spaceship at least as much as anything else in the gameworld.

The only real solution I can see to this is a "ship editor", where you don't actually build the extra parts on with your MM, but you design the parts to go on the ship, with pre-determined building blocks, but which can be stretched, lengthened, shrunk, etc. cost resources, and you add them to your ship. However such an endeavor would require so much work that I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

I think the most important thing to not here is that ship customization being in the game should be very black and white. Either it is equal or better than the level available to us elsewhere in the game, or it's not there at all. As Tiy showed us with that screenshot earlier, anything less than The Full Monty will just look out of place, given the beauty of the existing ship designs.

The problem I have with "Level 3 ship" is that it suggests a linear progression of ship size with little to no customization. It's not "upgrading" the OP is after, it's "upgrading how I want to upgrade"

Albussystems and Shuusei like this.
  3. DeafFrog

DeafFrog Tentacle Wrangler

I think at the very least we need to be able to buy bigger ships. Or maybe we can buy modules/upgrades for the ship that the game place for us. So it will always look nice, and we can have more.

peterd and Shuusei like this.
  4. EtherDragon

EtherDragon Space Hobo

To miss out on full customization of your ship is a huge gap in this game's sandbox - and it's really something that, if done well, will really set this game apart from others. Starbuilt allows you to make your own ship from scratch - but it's world exploration is practically non-existent (you've seen one sandy world, and stolen all the cactus, you've seen them all - and you're rich) and it has no story.

I suggest that we should have more flexibility in the shape of certain kinds of blocks that can be used to customize your ship. If certain metals blocks can be shaped into various slopes - then it's possible to approximate anything.

5. EarthwormJim

EarthwormJim Astral Cartographer

I want to build an exact replica of Engie A. That was the only ship I was able to beat that game with.

Chucklefish, make my dreams come true.

6. disel

disel Intergalactic Tourist

u can pretty much rip off walls and put another wall on it

for now there is too many kids that cry a river about ppl dont want to stick to planets and as long this kids exist , i doubt devs will "allow" players to "buiild , customize" or do what ever they want with ship . and if u wanna "wait" it gonna take few YEARS ,or u will have to deal with devs "no taste" ships
    they just cant make proper ship no matter what u say , it stays flying coffin

7. Dubiousphil

Dubiousphil Yeah, You!

A thing I'd like to see in ship-customization, which would need to be very expensive, because it would be incredibly cool, would be a detachable compartment-thingy, that would land on a planet from where you can start your base. A mini-ship if you want.

8. Wilcol

Wilcol Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Considering that Starbound is a side scroller, while FTL wasn't, I wish you good luck with that.

9. Sillywalks

Sillywalks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They could put a "space battle mode view" that let you battle like FTL :3

10. Aquillion

Aquillion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hum. After playing a bit, I think I'm OK with using modules, although I hope there's more variety and they're not all the same size -- something like differently-shaped puzzle pieces with specific areas they can connect.

It's true that block-by-block construction would be very hard for us to do in a way that matches the current visual ascetic of the ships, and that ascetic is cool.

Perhaps, eventually, have one particular model of block-based ship, fully constructable into whatever you want? People who want it can use that, even if it looks different visually -- the weird look could be justified by it being an odd sort of technology. Everyone else can use the simpler Lego construction of existing ships (and their current design.) That gives us the best of both worlds. Of course, it's more work to implement.

11. disel

disel Intergalactic Tourist

who cares about ascestics thing , ship build by yourself is 1000 times better than premade no taste flying onion online

12. Sabor

Sabor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just want the 3D Printer, the Storage and the Teleport Pad to be able to be moved and placed how we want them

Naun likes this.
  13. OlegtheOstrich

OlegtheOstrich Master Chief

It'd be pretty awesome if they made space suits and you could attach yourself to your ship and go outside of it and just extend it or something..

Naun likes this.
  14. EarthwormJim

EarthwormJim Astral Cartographer

Dude, they're both 2d games, you make a room then slap another on top of it. It's not rocket surgery here.

15. maddaFreak

maddaFreak Tentacle Wrangler

mhmm ...
    customisation of the Ship would be real great ...

I would prefer different frames of shiptypes, wich you can upgrade with room- and or engineparts, wich you can design by your own from the inside.
    Something like this i think woudl be real cool.

16. forkont

forkont Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If there was some kind of modular room thing going on, like, with bluprints for random different rooms dotted around, thn you could place some modular rooms onto the ship and have their exterior change to match you species
    That could open up some amazing open ended massive space ships, but each room would cost like, 30-40 iron or something for a small one
    Just a thought, but it would be a lot easier to code than a painstaking block by block process

17. Wilcol

No, because the Kestrel is only seen from above. If you were to fit it for Starbound, it wouldn't look as much like the Kestrel anymore.

18. Sephoris

Sephoris Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's the Floran and Apex that are the same, but that's intentional. The Floran don't build their own ships, they steal them.

19. Wilcol

I know. I made that post when they had the older ships.

20. Sephoris

Sephoris Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oops, I missed how old the early part of this topic is.