Monster combat changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Bizarre Monkey

Bizarre Monkey Big Damn Hero

I don't really have anything against these changes. It will mean I'll have to use skill but I'm okay with that.

On a note unrelated to combat, I love the funny diagrams you provided for this presentation, they're cute! ^.^

That's a superb idea... combos hell yes!

Don't touch me you filthy Casual.

Starbound isn't geared towards a casual audience, also most FPS issues can be solved with a quick google search (I know there is some frustrating FPS issues, but they can all be fixed pretty easily. I've done it myself). Besides, this won't make combat a whole lot harder, if anything it will make it easier. The difference is that instead of dealing with illogical monsters, we'll be dealing with logical ones. Worst comes to worst you can cheat yourself items and stuff.

So yeah, ultimatum for me is I love these changes, I think combos would be cool so long as they were optional, unless you went the kingdom hearts route of just press the same button in succession to perform combobs. I think a good way to do combos would be too have each weapon type have three kinds of attacks that are bound to different keys, there's already support for alternate fire between 1 one and 2, just add a mouse 1+2 or mouse 3 and you're golden. If you've played Saints Row 2, 3 or 4 you can grasp what I mean, left swing, right swing (mouse 1, mouse 2). It'd be minimalistic combos but it'd probably feel good. I dunno, think it over.

2. SmaugTheDragon

SmaugTheDragon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

3. Forb.Jok

Forb.Jok Big Damn Hero

Sounds great. This should make combat a lot more skill-based and interesting if it is well-implemented.

4. Carryall

Carryall Big Damn Hero

This appears to be nice content. I hope it is implemented well.

5. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

O Rly? Please, enlight me more about where and how SB is "geared". While enlightening me, you could also enlighten Devs on the matter, because i don't think they knew they are making a hardcore game akin to DS.. Also, pls check SB steam page - especially it's genres: i'm sure there is a "casual" mark placed there by Devs.

Piccolo and Boshed like this.
  6. xxMixerxx

xxMixerxx Void-Bound Voyager

Awesome! Can't wait.
    Now combat will not be smashing left click at the general direction of the monster, but instead a lot more fun. :up:

7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Shield use needs to be balanced with the other weapons in combat, it is very possible for a shield to be overpowered, particularly vs gun. Now there's an answer for users to overpower the shield, preventing the act of "turtling" or constant defense being OP in PVP or PVE.

I don't see the problem of making combat more varied and strategic, it is not like the combat system is a insurmountable hurdle, and there are other planets. There's always options for the player to progress and practice.

With the exception of sniper rifle florans, I've been tearing through most monsters I come across. I know I'm not alone in this, or in my desire to see mobs do more than run into my one size kills all 2handed sword fruitlessly, or my impassable twin daggers. That's not my idea of a fun challenge. It is not a matter of "teh hardcore blud in may veins" but rather basic preparation, observation, and timing.

I'm looking forward to the day this hits stable, especially if they manage to knock off some of the more notorious cheese mechanics, like killing through thin walls of dirt.

8. quantian

quantian Aquatic Astronaut

HEY!

Dirt Wall killing is a time honored tradition of my ancestors. I resent that statement.

ggh325, Piccolo and Sailo like this.
  9. NightCat

NightCat Void-Bound Voyager

I like these changes, they should make things a lot more interesting and add a decent amount of challenge. One thing I'm not sure about is removal of touch damage though..

Whilst most touch damage is annoying and could happily be removed, it seems like a waste of the random monster parts system to remove it altogether. Monsters with spines on their back or head or tail should do damage with these areas if touched I think, as should monsters with any kind of bristling electrical field (yea those don't exist.. yet). Similarly, if they have big teeth or tusks they should do damage if you run face-first into them, whether they're attacking you or not. This would make monsters' appearance figure more in actual combat rather than just aesthetics.

Also, some monsters probably should just run at you kamikaze style since some animals do act that way. Being in the minority after these changes, that would add a nice bit of variety too and might surprise players.. especially if those same monsters had some kind of grapple combat style where they attempt to grab and hold on to you and you have to perform some move to break free. I can see this being fitting for parent monsters who are wandering around with their young and trying to defend them, the parent attempting to hold you in place so the young can strike at you from relative safety.

10. fruitsallad

fruitsallad Space Hobo

Hey mate, so this is shielsystem obviously taken from Secrets of Grindea. Would be nice if you mentioned them as inspiration or something, now it just feels like you copied them. You take, you cred right?

Sartorius likes this.
  11. quantian

quantian Aquatic Astronaut

This is not how business or intellectual properties work. You can't prove that Grindea were the originators of it or that they need to credit anything.

12. shuruga

shuruga Void-Bound Voyager

This changes sounds great.

Side note : you write about new skills for monster/bosses, is there something to destroy block in the futur monsters skills?
    Because (I'm not speaking about endgame I don't know it) I think that making an arena is overpowered, even a simple one (large place, two lvl mixing plateform and solid block) without knowing anything about the boss.
    Most of the time they are just blocked against a block allowing player to freely damage them with ranged and even sometime melee weapons.

13. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You're just trying to stir up shit. However here to nip this in the bud. Straight from Tiy's Twitter.

14. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

What a brazen assumption

15. Kyasupah

Kyasupah Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe the ability to kick a monster back if you're* using guns, in place of a well timed block?
    edit: Also.. Maybe a Tech that boosts the power of said kick passively?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    XRiZUX and Elate like this.
  16. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Duke Nukem Kick PLS

Kyasupah likes this.
  17. Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

That's actually a pretty sweet idea, or bash them with the butt of a rifle or whatever.

XRiZUX likes this.
  18. Chompy

Chompy Cosmic Narwhal

Wow these change sound awesome!
    There's some pretty nifty ideas throughout the comments as well.

19. Fin

Fin Aquatic Astronaut

I really support these changes. Before hand, only the level of your character's items meant whether you lost or won to a monster- but now I can see a certain element of player skill appearing- Which is awesome. Now a new character still has a chance of winning a fight, rather than being either outright demolished or running away. I've always thought a good balance of player skill and in-game character skill level makes a far more interesting combat system. This may have been said already, but I think for one handed weapons (no block) dodging will hopefully be better and more effective than a two-handed weapon, allowing for a similar timing and stun system in the new blocking mechanic.

Chompy likes this.
  20. Shou Liengod

Shou Liengod Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes! excellent way to execute the Enemy Positions and Block! this should add more strategy within the game instead of mindlessly swinging or use a long range weapon and always moving around in mid-air.