Monster combat changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 23, 2014.

1. H2SJaeger

H2SJaeger Void-Bound Voyager

I love the storyboard explanations. It really does show the difference.

2. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

It could be nice to have a sort of Zero slash combo (From the megaman series)

3. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

These changes sound good on paper, but "what we think" won't matter until we can accurately test it out.

More importantly, I hope the game lag is fixed before this change, because timing won't mean a thing if the monster lags and suddenly appears behind you when you were expecting it from one side.

Sartorius and Arthanen like this.
  4. SweenMachine

SweenMachine Big Damn Hero

Awesome news, been waiting for this since the beginning!! Great to see a unique, properly fleshed out combat system, rather than the Terraria "smash" approach as you mentioned. Let us know on the front page when this update gets implemented if you please!!

5. thescienceguy3

thescienceguy3 Void-Bound Voyager

I really think that this change will help a lot to the future mechanics and once it is implemented i will start playing again because It just wasn't fun when they were jumping on me trying to kill me. It was really frustrating.

6. Rhotus

Rhotus Void-Bound Voyager

Will ranged weapons be looked at? I love the sound of this update so far, but it feels a little weird to go sword-and-board in a planet-hopping sci fi game.

Jonesy and Sartorius like this.
  7. Wraithbourn

Wraithbourn Void-Bound Voyager

Hear Hear!
    Monster combat has felt to me to be something to be endured while exploring rather than a fun and meaningful part of the game. I applaud the decision to make it more skill and timing basted, rather than like that toy with the ball and the rubber band on a paddle (the name escapes me).

This along with the directional melee weapons is definitely a change for the better!

Thanks!

Lintton likes this.
  8. Herikun

Herikun Aquatic Astronaut

Hm, this looks really nice
    I like how you make the concept art, it's so simple yet so good :)
    This is looking nice so far and I look forward to seeing it in game, though I will wait for novakid to come then I will play the game once again.
    I have "beaten" the game 2 times, as in getting the gear all the way up to tier 10 in single player, got many costumes and even made a custom ship, but this wasn't enough, 50 hours of gameplay was how much I played and it was all very good I look forward to beating this game for the 3rd time as a Novakid with many new features.
    I am not rushing you, actually take your time guys. Very nice work on everything and keep it up.

jonathonspy likes this.
  9. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

what if there was a rare weapon that had two abilities? left click is the normal attack, but it also blocks and absorbs projectile attacks.
    right click would release the absorbed projectile wherever your pointing.
    e.g. the dragons fireball attack, you click when the fireball hits you, or a little bit before, and the weapon absorbs it, then you click while facing the boss, and it shoots out the fireball, perhaps at a stronger power than before. e.g. if the dragon boss is firing another fireball, the one you shoot might destroy the second fireball and keep on going

Kyasupah likes this.
  10. Gumdrop Meadowz

Gumdrop Meadowz Cosmic Narwhal

Holy crap, that's beautiful. For once, I have no "extra input" to pipe in about, except... brilliant!

jonathonspy likes this.
  11. Halon

Halon Phantasmal Quasar

I like the Smashing board concept:love: but the dual wielding damage stack could present a problem. Namely because all the person needs to do to abuse that fact is alternate right/left firings and it would act as a lawnmower effect of never-ending sword attack.:lod: :lickitung::chrono:

jonathonspy likes this.
  12. Carter X

Carter X Void-Bound Voyager

Actual skill starting to matter on the environments' part too! Oh my heart is a flutter for you TIY

Lintton, jonathonspy and Titanium like this.
  13. Bizarre Monkey

Bizarre Monkey Big Damn Hero

Hard to say if timing would be less favorable than RNG (Random Number Generation). Though duel-wield blocking is a cool idea.
    Do you mean multiplayer lag? If so that kind of peer to peer connection latency isn't something Chucklefish's really has any form of control over. Hopefully they'll get some steam server integration for it in the future. But for peer to peer being only an ocean away can make all the difference, being from Aus I can't play on basically any servers hosted by any outside of Australia or NZ because I get huge latency spikes that make the game hard to play competitively.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    jonathonspy likes this.
  14. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

I find it interesting, innovative.

jonathonspy likes this.
  15. clingbeetle

clingbeetle Industrial Terraformer

Sound perfect to me :)

jonathonspy likes this.
  16. Kyasupah

Kyasupah Pangalactic Porcupine

Would be cool if there were heaps of different counter attacks when using various guns, but that might be a bit overly ambitious...:sneaky: At least one unique counter attack bash for pistols, duel wielding pistols, and two handed guns would be neat. :rolleyes: However... Pulse wave pushbacks and point blank executions would be sweet too lol. :disshappy:

jonathonspy likes this.
  17. Kyasupah

Kyasupah Pangalactic Porcupine

Lol, "The Kirby Vacuum Rifle."
    The energy cost of absorbing and firing should vary depending on the projectile, allowing for unique situations! :geek:
    Dunno about destroying the bosses attacks with your own though... But you should be able to keep using that attack until you absorb a different one.
    edit: oops, sorry bout double posting

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    jonathonspy likes this.
  18. Chookgirl

Chookgirl Void-Bound Voyager

cool. I hope the new system doesn't have those annoying just-out-of-reach enemies.
    With the new system as well, I hope they reduce monster quantities so we don't have to all out fight every few meters...

jonathonspy likes this.
  19. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

looking forward to this

jonathonspy likes this.
  20. Raeden

Raeden Big Damn Hero

sounds like you're going for a more Secrets of Grindea system

jonathonspy likes this.