1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Duplicate Crew?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by moomoomilkman, Jul 26, 2016.

1. sarahhowe98

sarahhowe98 Space Hobo

someone send help there are so many maryaras

Attached Files:

2. ehyder

ehyder Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have had the cloning happen since my first report many times now. Sometimes on beam up from the planet - the solution to that is easy but annoying after the 10th time, dismiss all crew and go talk to the duplicates that are left. And sometimes on beam down to the planet - last time this happened I just left them there and when I came back to revisit the planet they were still there. I also had one cloning event happen at beam up where just my companion crew member cloned.

This last time the crew cloned on beam down I had just cleared up a beam up cloning. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to just leave the clones on the planet this time, they cloned at the Outpost Ark teleporter. Getting very tired of removing clones and I am cringing every time I teleport.

To try to reduce problems with cloning 1) I do not ever hire a tailor (did that once and had to kill it with lava since it was undismissable), 2) reduced my crew (to save time dismissing/hiring clones), 3) take care of the clones as soon as it happens so that I do not end up with triplicates and more, and 4) beam down with at least one crew member in tow. I have no idea if this last one helps since I get clones anyway.

3. NOAHDADDY

NOAHDADDY Void-Bound Voyager

4. NOAHDADDY

NOAHDADDY Void-Bound Voyager

I am having the same problem with crew, as I see so many others are also. First time crew duplicated I got everything or should I say everyone back right except the tailors. I just didn't hire anymore tailors for lack of fix for them. Then of course my crew duplicated again and again before I could try and do something about the second cloning. It seems that the only crew that do not duplicate are the two that I have chosen to follow me and that beam away with me. I am going to try some of the fixes you have posted here. In particular I am going to try and get rid of all of my duplicate tailors. I have so many tailors and other crew members that it is causing lag when I'm on board the ship. This brings me to an important question.....( about time I'd say....) You mentioned offing the tailors with lava.Could you explain to me how to do this ?Not sure if I know how to do..... the accidental death by lava to a crew member. Thank you for any and all help......it is much appreciated. Say NO to Cloning......

5. ehyder

To kill with lava:
    1. Collect lava with MM.
    2. Segregate tailor, if possible, from anything you do not want destroyed. In my case I had already set up a crew area on the lowest level of my ship, as far as I could get them from me, my teleporter, my crafting, and my inventory. I set up a second lower area that I could block off to deal with the inevitable cloning. To segregate the tailor I tediously moved all of the crew to this second area then blocked the tailor into as small an area as I could with dirt blocks.
    3. Place lava in hotbar.
    4. Select appropriate hotbar key and drop lava on tailor's head - dead tailor.
    5. Collect lava and/or cover with dirt.
    6. Take lava out of hotbar and remove dirt.
    7. Never hire another tailor.

As for when cloning happens? For me it just happens, whether I have crew with me or not, whether I am beaming up or down, whether I have been playing for a while or for a short period, whether I have completed a mission or am doing something else. The only consistency I have noticed, besides the fact that it happens after a teleportation, is that after cloning happens once it is likely to happen again soon unless I get rid of the clones right away. Once the clones are gone I can go merrily along for a while, sometimes a long while, until it happens again.

6. Looka

Looka Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's it! I'll stop playing starbound until this is solved or my ship will explode (and probably my PC too).

7. ehyder

Yes, I have pretty much given up playing at this point until the bug is fixed and/or someone from the development team says something so that we know this issue is on the radar.

8. moomoomilkman

moomoomilkman Void-Bound Voyager

please see metadepts comment on page three

9. ehyder

Yes, I saw that, and nothing since then. I guess that one comment two weeks ago does not really qualify for me as being on their radar. Or perhaps I should have been more specific -- high on their priority list and likely to be resolved soonish? :)

moomoomilkman likes this.
  10. moomoomilkman

you right sir. you right

11. Vantooth

Vantooth Space Hobo

So this just happened to me, which is why I made this account... I'll include the detailed story and a simple step version of what happened.

Long:
    So I had a few crash for different reasons (blackout or others) and had character files becoming corrupt and losing many hours of game play upon using the backup. So I started manually backing up every so often (mostly when I achieved something I liked or worked hard for). So last time I played and my pc froze I lost my bookmarks. So I found out they're written in the characters files and can see it using notepad. When I logged in, I had a "memory low" warning and the game closed. Following the warning indication I closed all apps and started back starbound, determined to go and enter manually all my bookmarks. Only to find my ship empty, but fully upgraded and with my all 12 members of my crew. (I'll had that everything on my character is safe and well.) I've put quite a bit of work in my ship and had an enormous amount of rare items stashed in there. The game auto backup got overwritten as I did try to use them. So I took my my last backup which has 0 loss of content other than the bookmarks and proceeded to copy my ship world. Only to my demise, while the ship loaded properly, another set of crew mate teleported in.
    Now I house 24 crewmates, 12 and their duplicates. I don't dare playing, at least with that particular character for now.

Short:
    -Computer Crashed; Loss of teleportation and planets bookmarks.
    -Find the bookmarks data in the Charater file
    -Start the game in order to manually enter the bookmark
    -Receive a "low memory" warning a few seconds after loading the ship and game closes
    -Follow the warning indication of closing all apps and reopening them. (Closes chrome and reopen only starbound)
    -Start back starbound only to have a fully upgraded empty ship with my 12 crew members and me.
    -Try replacing shipworld with shipworld.backX, doesn't work all empty.
    -Use my last manual backup (bookmark loss)
    -Replace .shipworld
    -Load game, ship load perfectly with 12 crew members. 12 duplicates teleport in. (or whichever are the original)
    -Quit game and make this post

I do have screenshot of the duplicated crew if necessary.

12. Kinasin

Kinasin Void-Bound Voyager

13. Kinasin

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  14. moomoomilkman

Wow dude, a little hostile much? Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from, and I completely sympathize... But I don't think I would have gone as far.
    Yes, it's their job to work on the game and make updates. BUT they just hit the biggest milestone for this game since maybe 5 mil downloads, they have worked for this "break they are taking"
    Yes, it's incredibly emersion breaking, but it's a relatively easy fix! Not only that, but there are multiple fixes, so it's not like "Uh oh, this one didn't work, I'm screwed"
    Yes, it is affecting a lot of people, however at this time the best thing they can do to help the dev team solve the issue is grab a copy of crash reports (if applicable) and logs and what happened to give them the glitch (see what I did there?) And what better time to do this than when the devs are on a MUCH deserved break, so they can come back with fresh minds and fresher ideas, and prioritize problems to tackle them more effectively!! Always look on the bright side of death, my friend!
    Dude, trust me, I get it. There's a lot of things I would do differently if I ruled the world, But it's a good thing I don't, cause someone always wants it just as bad.
    They'll fix it. In the mean time, just save your logs if it happens, kill off the extra crew for a quick fix, then get some mods for your damn self. At least with the fixes offered by the community, it's still playable!

Ankali likes this.
  15. Kinasin

The only fixes I've seen is use lava or teleport to planet and kill crew. It's annoying as hell.

16. moomoomilkman

Yes, But it's a fix!!
    thats the important part!

Ankali likes this.
  17. Kinasin

It not a long term fix when they start cloning themselves all over again.

18. ehyder

Agreed. But just a reminder for those who do want to continue playing despite the cloning there is a slightly easier, less time consuming, fix if the cloning happens when you teleport onto your ship. Notes: I have not tested this on teleporting away from the ship because I am having finder issues on my machine and do not have an easy way to test and roll back if the fix does not work. I also do not know how well this works when you have more than two of each crew since I use this fix as soon as I have a cloning 'event.'

When cloning happens on teleportation to your ship: Go to S.A.I.L., dismiss all crew. Clones will disappear leaving one set of crew on board. Go talk to all of the remaining crew; this will add them back to the crew list. The only crew this fix will not work on is the tailor. Highly recommend never hiring a tailor.

Ankali likes this.
  19. moomoomilkman

what if you bath them all in lava and clense the unclean? will the origionals come back when you reteleport to your ship? or will everyone?

20. Kinasin

I don't get why the devs would go on vacation immediately after releasing their game instead of sticking around squashing all the bugs. Pretty unprofessional from a team that made this much money. They could of hired some more devs and a quality check team to make sure everything ran smoothly after release.