Warning: This mod has not yet been updated for Upbeat Giraffe. The BetterMerchants Company is attempting to rectify this issue, but progress is slow because of a massive black hole which is threatening to consume its main office. When this issue is rectified, you will be notified.
Warning: This mod is still in early development. As such, balancing, such as spawner costs and item values, is wholly subject to change. Errors may also be prevalent. If there are balance issues (i.e. an item is sold for too little or much) or gameplay issues (bugs, etc), please discuss them with me via a private conversation or in the mod thread. DO NOT USE THE REVIEW SECTION AS A PLACE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT BUGS OR BALANCE.
In addition, please ensure that, prior to installation, you read the entirety of the "Installing the Mod", "Reporting Issues" and "Frequently Asked Questions" sections. It will save on headaches later.
Hello Starbounders! I hope you enjoyed the small prank that we here at BM Co. decided to play on our loyal consumers. Hopefully your feathers aren't too ruffled from having to redownload our products, especially if you are one of our Avian customers.
Anyway, today, we at BM Co. are proud to announce our Containment Update for our merchandise. Why is it call that? Because it is chock full of containers, of course! Ever worried about running out of places to store things? Now you won't have to!
But it is also called the Containment Update because of how it reels in some of those loose strings our manufacturers have left while coding.
That's right, we've polished up your BM Co. Package with the finest of elbow grease!
From the Floran Sous Chef to the Apex Eremologist, every merchant now has many things to say before they drain your Pixel funds.
And how do you access these fine merchants? With the new and improved Accelerated Signal Station Mk. V, of course! With a very user-friendly crafting interface, you can program spawners while cleaning the kitchen out!
But I am running out of space on this letter so I cannot go into full detail on what you cab expect to find with this update. You'll have to find out for yourself!
- Archer, Owner of the BetterMerchants Company
Go to a Village, find a bunch of merchants selling the same things three feet away from each other. Travel around the planet. A bunch of merchants selling the same items out of their carts. Travel underground. Spend hours looking for any merchant NPC spawner in a Chest, and their selection is limited. Maybe a Frog selling bombs. Travel to a different planet, spend an hour or so repeating the process.
Did you ever wish there was more to buy? More variety in the Merchants you could encounter in the game?
If you did, you came to the right place.
Welcome to The BM Company, a young start-up business looking to export our wares to whatever planet you desire.
Here at BM Co., our goal is to serve you.
Hey folks. I'm Mackinz, a first-time modder who got fed up with the complete lack of variety in wares in Starbound. To vent the ideas for improvements I normally come up with in a situation like this, I decided to learn modding. After a couple weeks with a few test versions, I've decided to widely distribute the fruits of my labor. Bow at my feet.Greetings
Welcome to my mod. Its goal is simple: to improve the variety of NPCs the player, you, will encounter within their Starbound adventure. It is still in a very early stage, but it has quite a bit added already, probably with things you never thought you'd see being sold in-game.
Without any further ado, onto the mod.
0.09 (Containment Update)
- Edited NPCs:
- ALL NPCs- New NPCs:
- Improved Interact texts
- Made the Mall Santa especially awesome. Fox News viewers beware.
- Sous Chefs
- Adjusted outfits- Apex Scientists:
- All wear White Sassy Berets
- Adjusted inventories
- Removed Bone from Tar Eremologist
- Removed Purple Crystal Block from both Volcanists
- Now sold by Crystal Volcanist exclusively- Hunter
- Adjusted inventories of all varieties- Landscaper
- All sell Bone, but no longer Flesh Lump and Raw Tentacle
- Flesh sells Flesh Lump and Raw Tentacle
- Special sells Superior Brains and Inferior Brains
- Adjusted outfits- Bard
- Regular designated by Green Kimono- Adjusted inventories of all varieties
- Fancy designated by Grey Kimono and Monocle
- Seeds designated by Brown Kimono and Floppy Hat
- Toxic designated by Pink Kimono and Toxic Flower on back
- Mushroom designated by Red Kimono and Mushroom Hat
- Flower designated by Yellow Kimono
- Regular sells blocks and misc. items
- Fancy sells special plants and plant furniture
- Seeds sells seeds
- Toxic sells Toxic Top Seeds and Toxic biome recipes
- Mushroom sells Mushroom Spores and Mushroom biome recipes
- Flower sells Blue/Red/Yellow Flower Seeds and Giant Flower Petals and recipes
- Adjusted outfit- Adventurer
- Designated by White Monk outfit
- Adjusted outfit- Miner
- Designated by Yellow Hiker outfit
- Adjusted outfit
- Designated by Grey Hiker outfit
- Treasure Hunter- Improved Drills
- Sells Hoard items- Ship Merchant
- Designated by Black Moneybags outfit
- Is Human
- Sells various metal blocks and the Paint Tool- Shipping Merchant
- Designated by partial Grey Pilot outfit
- Is Human
- Sells very large Cargo Crates
- Designated by full Brown Pilot outfit
- Is Human
- All drills now mine a 4x4 radius- Improvement: BM Signal Station
- New UI- Improvements: BM Signal Interpreters
- Buttons on left side correspond to different sorting choices. See BM Filters.txt for these filters- New Appearance
- Cycles through all six default race images, along with custom Avali, Novakid and Argonian race images
- New Appearances- Improvement: BM Produce/Block Crates
- Unique between specific versions- Improved Description
- Now act like Furnaces- Improvement: BM Bamboo Sprout
- Now has a electric blue fire/warping wormhole and a small conveyor belt
- Now slightly more yellow to appear slightly different to Frackin' Flora users- Improvement: BM Vending Machine
- Is now a snack machine that only sells food- New Object: Soda Machine
- Sells various Sodas, as well as Bottled Water and Milk- New Consumables: Sodas
- Crafted at Wiring Station for 300 Pixels
- Bought at Soda Machine- New Consumable: Cooked Sweet Corn
- Multiple varities
- Blue Blast! Soda
- Charge! Cola
- Kelp O' Kola
- Marrow Pop
- Nebula Tonic
- Seed Oil Soda
- Cooked at Campfire, Nanostove, etc.- New Consumable: Perfectly Generic Treat
- Improved version of Sweet Corn
- Heals more (+10) and recovers more energy (+10) than regular Sweet Corn
- Prepared at Cooking Table- New Furniture
- Recipe learned by picking up a Perfectly Generic Item
- In other words, automatically for older players
- Vanilla tiered tables now accessible- Updated Ore Plants
- Use associated Starmap Upgrade or pick up related metal bar to learn recipes- Bamboo Cabinet and Bamboo Sofa from Frackin' Flora
- Pick up Bamboo Stalks for recipes
- Now do not conflict with IndustrializationNew Mod Implementations:
- As a result, anyone without Industrialization will end up with PGIs in place of their ore seeds and berries- Now give Ore Chunks instead of berries
- Fret not, as the download includes a folder that keeps the items and their respective recipes in-game until you delete the folder
- New visuals from Goldobsidian's TiberiumBound mod
- 4x4 Drills mod by bear irl
- Now uses __merge to change radius so is fully compatible with other mods which do not change mining radius of drills- Cooked Sweet Corn Mod by MentoIDP
- Perfectly Generic Treat mod by Healthire
- Containers mod by pbonomi
- Tiered Furnaces Mod by NovastarX
- Drink Vending Machine mod by NovastarX
- Tiered Tables and Chests by CyborgDragon
- Rebalanced Beds by ShadowWolfJTC
- Tiered Furniture Improvements by Macuco
- Bigger Chests by Spacedino
- Placeables Overhaul by Niran
Demonstration of Avali Mod compatibility and updated Signal Station graphics:
Demonstration of the variety of Landscaper Merchants available:
All NPCs listed and a few others from the game can be spawned using the Signal Station to craft their respective spawner.
Merchants Available Through Mod:
Apex Sous Chef
Apex Eremologist (2 Varieties)
Apex Volcanist (2 Varieties)
Apex Cryogencist (2 Varieties)
Apex Space Explorer
Avian Sous Chef
Floran Sous Chef
Floran Hunter (3 Varieties)
Glitch Sous Chef
Glitch Carpenter (4 Varieties)
Human Sous Chef
Human Mall Santa
Human Ship Merchant
Human Shipping Merchant
Human Treasure Hunter
Hylotl Sous Chef
Hylotl Landscaper (6 Varieties)
Bartender (3 Varieties)
Far too many to list. Lots of recipes are sold at various merchants, such as the respective Sous Chefs, the Bartender and at special merchant varieties. Lots of colored materials and otherwise rare or hard to get blocks. A wide variety of plants... and more!
This mod is one-part original content, and another part mod compilation. It contains an ever-expanding assortment of custom crops such as Cotton, Soy, Coffee, Tea Leaves, Bamboo, and various Ore Crops, as well as changes to vanilla crops like a fully farmable Mushroom crop, Blue, Red, and Yellow Flowers, and changes that ensure that Wheat always drops Wheat when harvested! Sugarcane also drops a Sugarcane item instead of Sugar (which made no sense whatsoever)!
This mod centers around the new Signal Station object. At the Signal Station, you can craft Spawners and Displays, objects with the appearance of Spawners that don't spawn NPCs. All Spawners and Displays require a Blank Spawner, which costs 100 Pixels at the Signal Station.
In addition to the Signal Station, there are other niches filled by objects in this mod.
The BM Blender and BM Vending Machine are two new objects that are integral to the full use of your Sous Chefs and Bartenders. The Blender allows the player to use drink recipes sold by the Bartender to craft various beverages, and the Vending Machine sells a few drinks and food products that are essential to cooking.
The BM Fuel Refinery turns various crops into usable fuel for your ship!
Eventually, there will be other objects such as a Seed Extractor.
In addition to the above changes, there also some minor changes in the game. Coal is no longer as important a fuel source with the revamping of Uranium/Plutonium/Solarium Rods, and now with Molten Cores as a usable fuel source! The Vegetable Soup and Meatballs foods have had their icons changed to a bowl instead of a can. The Rust Chest has been fixed to display the name "Rust Chest" instead of "Ice Chest". And much more!
Installing the Mod
1. Locate the Starbound folder
2. Download the Mod
- If you already know where Starbound is on your computer, then you can skip this step.
- Starbound can be found at ...\steam\steamapps\common\starbound.
- If you do not know where the Steam folder is on your computer... get looking. Ask for help if needed.
3. Install the mod
- Download the mod. If the primary download does not work, use the mirror.
- Open the .zip file that you downloaded.
4. Delete any conflicting mods
- Make sure the zip file you downloaded for the mod is open.
- Make sure you're at the Starbound folder.
- Drag the "BetterMerchants.modpack" (and any other modpacks in there, to be safe) inside the .zip into Starbound's mods folder.
- As BetterMerchants incorporates other mods into its framework, there will be issues with some already incorporated mods.
- With the exception of Frackin' Flora, please delete the following mods if you have them already installed:
- (Customized) Oh boy, Soy! by steelndirt - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/oh-boy-soy.1324/
- (Customized) Caffiene by steelndirt- http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/caffeine.1234/
- (Defunct) Tea Mod by Seria-Myouna - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/tea-mod.519/
- (Defunct) Coffee by KrazyTheFox - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/coffee.181/
- (Customized) Miner Spawner by Indigochill - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/miner-spawner.1642/
- (Partially, Customized) Frackin' Flora by sayter - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/frackin-flora.925/ (Note: Frackin' Flora is entirely compatible as of Version 0.08c of BetterMerchants)
- (Partially) Fuel Mod by silver7017 - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/fuel-mod.1284/
- (Defunct) Craftable Merchant Spawners by Star-X - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/craftable-merchant-npc-spawners.375/
- Extended Saplings by debugman18 - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/extended-saplings.760/
- Rebalanced Beds by Shadow Wolf JTC - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/rebalanced-beds.1688/
- (Customized) Sugarcane Fix by Inny - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/sugarcane-fix.1731/
- Bricks from clay by Quacksol - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/bricks-from-clay.1094/
- Vanilla Recipe Fixes by RenegadeVeggie - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/vanilla-recipe-fixes.1402/
- Tomato Fix by Inny - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/tomato-fix.1706/
- (Customized) Ore Farming - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ore-farming.1393/
- (Customized) Cotton Plant by steelndirt - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/cotton-plant.1181/
- Glitchfix by Hoax Rumors - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/glitchfix.1321/
- (Customized) 4x4 Drills mod by bear irl - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/4x4-drills.1468/
- (Customized) Drink Vending Machine mod by NovastarX - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/novastarxs-drink-vending-machine.1498/
- Tiered Furnaces Mod by NovastarX - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/novastarxs-tiered-furnaces.1605/
- (Customized) Containers mod by pbonomi - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/containers.1609/
- (Customized) Tiered Tables and Chests by CyborgDragon - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/tiered-tables-and-chests.1518/
- (Customized) Rebalanced Beds by ShadowWolfJTC - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/rebalanced-beds.1688/
- (Customized) Tiered Furniture Improvements by Macuco - http://community.playstarbound.com/...cludes-64-slot-chests-and-mp-compatible.1516/
- (Customized) Bigger Chests by Spacedino - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/bigger-chests.200/
- (Customized) Placeables Overhaul by Niran - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/placables-overhaul.1293/
- (Partially, Customized) TiberiumBound by Goldobsidian - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/tiberiumbound.1810/
- Perfectly Generic Treat mod by Healthire - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/perfectly-generic-treat.552/
- (Customized) Cooked Sweet Corn Mod by MentoIDP - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/cooked-sweet-corn.969/
Warning: The merchants in this mod sell ores, recipes, and various rare gear. If you enjoy being forced to explore planets to find resources and items, this mod may not be right for you. Ask your spawned-in Doctor NPC if BetterMerchants is right for you!
Find the Mod's thread, and comment on your issue. Please include a copy of your starbound.log contents (found in .../starbound/ and opened with a text editing program like Notepad) and a description of your issue. An update will be issued as soon as time allows.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Where can I craft the BlackMarket Hammerspace Crates?
Answer: The BM Goon sells them for around 300 Pixels each. He is available right as soon as you obtain your first Signal Station. Spawn a Goon. He'll be important later on.
Question: Is this mod compatible with Unstable Starbound?
Answer: In its base form? No. However, there is a separate un-packed version, found under "Installing the Mod", that is perfectly compatible (and up-to-date, too).
Question: Is this mod compatible with Frackin' Flora?
Answer: Yes. Both versions of the mod, Packed and Unpacked, are fully-compatible with Frackin' Flora.
Question: Does this mod work in multi-player?
Answer: I'm not sure. I have not ever tried it in multi-player, but it should. Provided that:
1) The server has the mod installed and:
2) Every player connecting to the server has the mod installed then:
3) There should be no issues other than ones that exist in single player.
Plans for the Future
Here at the BetterMerchants Company, our available resources are constantly updating. Our plans for the future are always changing, and are likely to change, especially with user feedback in the related thread. Here is our current projection for the future:
Mod Compatibility(!) - Requires better understanding of JSON, __merge functionality, and other aspects of modding. Tips are welcome and compatibility issues are especially important to note.
"Reverse" and Item-for-Item trading through NPCs - Currently possible, but requires better understanding of LUA.
Thread Decor and Aesthetics
New Custom NPCs
Archaeologist (Apex) - Sells items normally found from structure generation.
Apostate (Avian) - Sells items found in Avian Tombs
Tomb Raider (Avian) - Sells items found in Avian Temples
Stone Worker (Avian) - Sells blocks found in Avian Structures
Scavenger (Floran) - Sells items and blocks found in Apex Labratories, etc.
Stone Mason (Glitch) - Sells stone brick blocks found in Glitch structures
Banker (Human?) - Sells... Pixels?
Plumber (Human?) - Sells Pipes (block), as well as anything appropriate like Sewer items.
Furniture Peddler(?) (Human?) - Sells furniture
Librarian (Hylotl) - Sells Books, Codex entries, and Bookshelves(?).
Arborist (Hylotl) - Sells Saplings of various sorts and colors.
Custom lines for all.
Edits to Custom NPCs
Landscaper - Should they sell Plant Fibre?
Carpenter - Increase the variety in Wooden Planks colors?
Edits to Existing NPCs
Ingredient Merchant - Inventory varies based upon race of merchant. Custom spawners
Clothing Merchant and Vanity Clothing Merchant - More variety and better inventories which rewards finding these merchants. Custom spawners.
Blacksmith - Split into Weapon and Armor varieties, which specialize in either. Better organization and management of existing blacksmith shops. Custom spawners.
Doctor - Expanded Medical inventory. All stim packs for sale.
Stim - Repurposed for... something. New stims?
Tool - In addition to existing inventory, he will also sell various mining and chopping implements, which vary from tier to tier.
Wizard - Stumped.
Custom lines if needed.
Non-testing recipes for added items.
More BlackMarket Hammerspace Crate varieties to convert items into Pixels.
New items as needed to add variety to NPC inventories (ex. Doctor, Stim, Wizard).
New recipes for Food which lacks it, and a variety of other items as to be decided.
Changed existing recipes.
Some blueprints may have a different background (specifically Food items), if possible.
Various changes to existing items as desired.
Thinking about incorporating other mods within this one.
Villages and Dungeons
Changed NPC generation in Villages to include new NPCs
Randomly distributed Merchant stores
BetterMerchants Recommended Mods
- AnTiVegetation - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/antivegetation-extended-plant-parts.1174/
- Compact Crops (Outdated) - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/compact-crops.64723/
- Avian Tail Feathers - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/avian-tail-feathers.581/
- Biologically-Correct Torsos - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/biologically-correct-torsos.826/
- Pop-off Lights - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/pop-off-lights.1247/
- @Otata for help with some __merge functionality
- Mod Pack Permissions:
- You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
- Mod Assets Permissions:
- You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.
Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.Dismiss Notice
Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
Outdated BetterMerchants 0.09a (Enraged Koala)
Improving your shopping experience, one shop at a time.