1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[IRC] some more details regarding crafting/printing/dyes/homeworlds etc

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by plaYer2k, Feb 19, 2013.

1. TuefelHundenIV

TuefelHundenIV Cosmic Narwhal

Mish: I understand your sentiment. But keep in mind the community seems to carry across a wide range of age groups. Quite a few young people are still learning the social ropes. Online interaction is in itself trickier then real life. The lack of physical and verbal cues making it more difficult to convey the attitude and subtleties behind what is being said. The questions or statements may seem to be immature or rude because they are just plain text. Being more mature does mean you have to deal with less polite or tactful individuals in a polite or tactful manner. I am sure if Tiy was truly bothered by the attitude he would do something about it. Or he could too busy to really care.

Now that aside I saw mention of personal shops. Is there a thread somewhere on the personal shops with regards to the 3d printing mechanic yet?

Alpha_Squad and RustyJ like this.
  2. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

12:51:06 <@Tiyuri> I'm tempted to make printer ink the straight up currency
    12:51:10 <@Tiyuri> it wouldnt be CALLED printer ink of course

The currency is already called pixels. Everything in the game world is literally made of pixels. Put pixels(currency) in printer get object made of pixels(display). Bam.

Rekalty, Echo, Urist McDwarf and 3 others like this.
  3. TuefelHundenIV

Arranger: That is certainly one way to look at it. Of course raw materials could be used as trade items or currency as well.

4. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

No ammo? That seems unusual, I'm not sure I like that. But I can see how maybe energy could be used to make solid ammo instead of an actual ammo count. You don't need to collect ammo because your ammo is sort of infinite, limited only by energy. That seems good! (Though I do think I will, usually, pick an energy weapon over solid bullets) Maybe there could be augments to change the type of ammo the energy generates.

5. TuefelHundenIV

I am betting the mechanic for energy will possibly be something like the build regenerates ammo slowly but rapid energy regen is done through consumable items. You know the "mana system". I am kind of glad to be rid of the ammo. Managing piles of different ammos for different weapons can be a pain in the butt and often takes up extra inventory space.

Shippo likes this.
  6. Landlaw

Landlaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Why not Tiy said about NPCs? It seems that will not have interaction with NPCs?

7. LeonLandford

LeonLandford 2.7182818284590...

Theres a Brazilian Pen and Paper RPG where Elves aro so screwed up. They are homeless (Nation destroyed by Goblins), godless (their god is a useless crying girl) and everyone treats them with absolute comtempt.

Landlaw likes this.
  8. Landlaw

Landlaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know it! Im Brazilian :p
    I like this conception of elves

9. TuefelHundenIV

So here is a question. It almost sounds like ink won't be used for fabricating everything. Will "Ink" (Can we get a better term or acronym?) be able to say make food and other items that are not made from the ores and related materials?

10. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

That is absolutely perfect. You smelt ore into pixels, then the printer turns it into pixellated objects.

11. Echo

Echo Big Damn Hero

Also hope they go about this with a star trek kinda way. (not a printer but a "Pixelator" in which (technical terms following) shiny whimsy beams of light create stuffs in seconds [including food]).

Shippo likes this.
  12. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

The forums are worse. You can just ignore the 12 year olds in threads you dislike far easier than you can on IRC. Personally I'm much better at glancing over people on IRC than I am at ignoring retarded posts on a forum for a game that isn't playable. So I stay off the forums for the most part.

Landlaw likes this.
  13. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Some 12 year olds already got banned. :up:

Landlaw likes this.
  14. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

The hunger is optional, yes.

The Space Station was planned to be the main base ever since the game was announced. It's where the labs are and stuff. The Ship is just your means of transportation. Think te difference between a House and a Car.

15. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

I read the thing now.

I am not one to rage. But I am honestly appalled that they got rid of the Space Station. Before I say anything too offensive or mean, I'll spoiler it.

What the serious fuck?! I thought the Station was supposed to be a core feature of the game! Honestly, I have liked every decision the team has made. EXCEPT THIS! They moved it to the Asteroid? Oh?
    Well it's not like there are MILLIONS OF THEM! "You flee as your home planet is destroyed by an unknown enemy. You come across on asteroid."

PLEASE tell me you people know what I'm talking about. The abandoned Station was SUCH a novel idea!!! Come on! I am severely disappointed by this, like, I'm angry. But I'll get over it.

All I wanted was the goddamn Space Station that they promised a fucking year ago. The beginning of the game is absurdly lame now.
    The finding of an abandoned Space Station was one of the coolest ideas I've hear in a game. Now they've replaced it with an... An- an ASTEROID!! That is little more than a forced homeworld! Come on, Devs!

Necrius, John Smith, Caidoz and 3 others like this.
  16. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

Hunger and temperature are optional and not required to be enabled overall. Its like "hardmode players" in terraria, you CAN have a "perma death character" yet it is not required to play such a char and entirely up to you.
    I really love those additions and plan on playing them with friends because those additional difficulties will make the game worthy most likely, but lets see.

Adding XP is really unlikely since that would give an unfair advantage and Tiy highly dislikes that afaik.

I would like to see durability for items but afaik the devs are highly against it aswell because most players want to keep their shiny items without risking just anything.

Also:
    +1

Well maybe there will be space stations within the universe. Just like "Space dungeons" floating in space at positions where planets could be :3
    I loved space station missions in Mass Effect :D

hehe pretty much my thought aswell.
    I always wondered what your space station would make so special over a homeworld. Like "Are there any research and crafting facilities restricted to be available only there?". So Space stations and home worlds were pretty redundant to me from the beginning with the exception that you always have a space station and canbuy more home worlds.

Regarding all the "OMFG WHY NO MORE SPACE STATION?? LE SHIT!!" comments and thoughts following in here, iam pretty sure that the devs actually playing the game know better about how the game should be tweaked and balanced that we where we can only judge on a few lines of text and maybe a few featured images and small videos. Nobody saw a real and whole gameplay video containing more than just a few bits, seeing the whole is impossible for us so who are we to judge?

And that is exactly the reason why they had to do it better in starbound. Because even though i loved ranged in terraria, stockpiling ammo within your inventorywas a mess! Playing with fast shooting weapons like megashark wasted so much ammo over time that it wasnt fun farming all the ammo anymore. And ammo conservative weapons were pretty good to have (clockwork rifle) but simply couldnt do enough damage in most situations anymore. Sure that is a layer of resource management some enjoy, but my honest opinion is that balancing ranged weapons with energy pools and regeneration against melee weapons is a way better game design and also more convenient in long games than stockpiling ammo and congesting your inventory. But that is of course just an opinion.

Yes indeed a good idea, we (Delta Mod) were thinking about "ammo" aswell and how to place that ingame in any balanced manner. My idea on how to realize that is not to add consumeable ammo you have to buy/farm again but instead craft "weapon amplifier" that are like "magazines" you can plug into any weapon (maybe limited to a few categories of weapons) to alter their projectiles like you mentioned already. Increase penetration but lower speed or damage, add damage but increase spread. All those things as long as they are overall balanced, so you can find ammo that simply "fits your style".

Yeah i were hoping to see some CC effects like "stun", "blind", "slow", "reduce armor", drain energy etc so instead of having a plain "damage layer" for your combat you also have other tactical ways of playing and beating your opponents. Even "just adding healing items" wouldnt fix such a shortage of tactical options when there are just "damage dealing weapons". But starbound is flexible and things can be added and tweaked post-release so dont worry, that will be fixed either officially or through mods like you mentioned already :D
    Also most games fail adding more depth into that gameplay, so it would even be a negativ sign when the initial release wouldnt have all those features on release since its already bloated with awesome stuff =)

Iam sorry, as IRC regular i dont quite see the "impolite" part in there. The channel was quite active before Tiy said anything and so it was afterwards.
    He says "hello" and 3 to 6 reply to him because he is "famous now". So yes sometimes things focus on him entirely but there are also ongoing discussions where he says something and most dont react much to him because they keep chatting about what they were before. Its not like he is a holy god (i know nobody thinks that) but people respect him and the other devs and honor their work, so they always want to know more about the game. Thats also why we ask questions.
    Sometimes the devs mention new features and we ask about more details, wouldnt we ask politely enough .. they would simply ignore us.
    There are many nice informations we gathered just because we asked "super-detail-oriented questions" otherwise we most likely wouldnt have seen many of their neat images and videos so far.
    Also the devs stated a few times that they actually like people coming in and saying "wow i love you, good job!" even though they leave afterwards, same goes for questions regarding some features because that shows the huge interest people have.
    And i honestly never witnessed someone annyoingly and repeating asking questions to the devs, it is usually "hey awesome feature ... how does it work?".
    Anyway, the devs are quite nice and relaxed (even though they are pressured to release the game because they want to finish it themself) so they usually keep an eye on the channel and response to random chatter but if anything would go over board, they would react or any OP would ... but overall they are used to it, and they need the WHIP! >:D
    That said, IRC sometimes seems to be a bit rough but when someone idles in there a while, he/she gets used to it and everything is fine.
    (That wasnt meant to be an offensive reply or anything, i just thought stating my opinion regarding that could help clearing the tension a bit ... people in IRC are actually quite nice :D)

Well there is http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/dispenser-machine.14362/
    But i kinda found that thread is lacking details and i were about to make a more detailed suggestion about such a system with vendors ran by players based on http://community.playstarbound.com/...-renting-out-zones-building-privileges.14559/ so you could have a big "city planet" where every player can run his own shop with a few vendors for items.
    But beside that there is afaik only some shop chatter within the "suggestion megathread" iirc.

hehe luckily both IRC and the Forum offer "ignore" features :3

awwww dont be so mad. We dont know how the game "feels" overall so it maybe is the best decision, Tiy mentioned that the current concept for the station was kinda obsolet anyway ... so please trust him that that is a good decision aswell like the others :3

17. RitsuHasano

RitsuHasano Existential Complex

I don't know, LazerEagle1, I wouldn't really consider the astroid to be a forced homeworld. It still sounds pretty similar to a space station in a way, just in a different form of sorts. It's basically a hideout that you found for safety.

Though maybe you can consider it a homeworld... I dunno. Honestly, it sounds less cluttered that way.

18. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

That is a bit harsh don't you think? As I understood it, the space station was always supposed to be a static location that you travelled back to occasionally and that served as a generic hub for multiplayer servers. That doesn't seem to have changed just because they moved it from a deep-space location to an asteroid. Actually, this will make servers more distinct, since Tiy alluded to the possibility of having the asteroid be infinite, people will be able to customize their server hub, (much like spawn zones in Minecraft and Terraria).

19. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

Do you mind not quoting the entire thread just to tell us you didn't read it? Thanks.

Also, thanks for the post, great info, 3D printing all the way!

plaYer2k likes this.
  20. RustyJ

RustyJ Big Damn Hero

When I saw this forum for a Irc chat log I was excited but now that I read the information I'm dissappointed I was really excited for the space station and it being your main hub and what not and now that its on an assteriod it's kinda ruined it for me I sort of agree with laser eagle wasn't the space station meant to be a big part of the game? Now that its on an assteriod and the ships the main hub I don't think that's as cool and from day onr thay said there would be a soave station and now that they have changed it i dont like that.And also I was really looking forward to using diferrent types of ammo but now that it uses energy I don't like the sound of that because I thought there would be three basic 'builds' in the game the mellee guy the gun guy and the machine equivalent energy but now that's sort of ruined it for me.