Player Cities - renting out zones - building privileges

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by plaYer2k, Feb 1, 2013.

1. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

Player Cities
    managing zones, selling and renting, zone privileges​

In order to give you a home in this huge universe and not feel alone like you will on your own spacestation, i suggestion the ability to properly manage zones on planets.
    This is mainly a suggesion for the social aspect. Sharing a city/planet with other players, members of a clan or company.

This kind of management shall only be available on Homeworlds. Worlds that got purchased by players, clans, companies and whatnot.
    The system is pretty much a management system for privileges on tiles. Allowing to set and unset flags.

Managing zones shall be possible "in 2 layers":
    • owning (first layer)
      • renting (second layer)
      • common property (second layer)

Owning
    There Can Be Only One!
    When a planet gets purchased, the entire planet is owned by the buyer, may it be a natural person (a player, which is the easiest solution initially) or an artificial/juristical person (a clan or company).
    Only the owner can sell, rent out or "declare as common property" tiles he is owning.
    Selling tiles removes the sellers ownership for those tiles and moves it onto the buyer once the purchase got accepted.
    There can be tile sections for sale aswell as regions shall be requestable by interesed persons.
    An owner can do anything on his tile, place and remove tiles, sell the region and rent them out. There is only one limitation, he can NOT perform those actions as long as they got rented by someone else.

Renting
    Persons (natural and artifical) can rent regions from owners and thus gain "limited" control the region. The old owner can not alter it for as long as its rented.
    Yet what the rented person can do is defined within the privileges below.

Common Property
    Common property is linked to rented regions or common properties with a set up privileges.
    Those regions are in example useful for hallways within a hotel where only those who rented rooms accessible from that hallways shall have access to but nobody else. Or public places with "usable furniture" like a gong or toilet, so that everyone can use them but nobody is allowed to alter them.
    Yet the owner can still do everything in here like placing new tiles or removing existing ones.

Privileges
    Privileges are the accesslevel users gain to perform certain actions onto tiles.
    Those privileges only apply to rented regions and common properties.
    - solid: Allows to place and remove solid tiles. Solid blocks are those blocking players from moving through them.
    - furniture: Allows to place and remove furniture tiles. Furniture tiles are like tables, chairs, lamps etc.
    - furnitureTrigger: Allows to use furniture like gongs and lamps.
    - wiring: Allows to alter wiring onto affected blocks.
    - fluidCollect: Allows to collect liquidsin here
    - doors: Allows to use doors. Otherwise automatic doors stay closed and manual doors can not be opened/closed.
    - walls: Allows to place and remove walls.

The presented system sure has its limitations which are partially intended to keep it simple enough so everyone can manage his planet well enough, but also to keep the implementation easy.

*visual examples with buildings will follow later*

Got suggestions for more privileges or how to change current ones? Dont hesitate to tell me :3

Jagaeg, Jonesy, Passarbye and 3 others like this.
  2. Volcanite

Volcanite Master Chief

i like the idea of player built cities or planet cities but i don't think i like the idea of players renting out space. people are fickle. plus owners can become super rich and create economic problems.

how about if players buy a plot of land on a designated city-planet-to-be and they can build whatever they want in that plot above and below ground. plot owners can set permissions of who can alter your lot. i just don't like the idea of player operated economies in a game like this.

3. plaYer2k

Well players cant "just become super rich" because they still rely on people actually paying for their area. When the planet is boring and has nothing to offer they decide not to pay for anything and instead move to a different planet or their own homeworld as "usual" :D
    So it would be best to have reasonable prices like 1/100th of the homeworld price per week (real time) so that with 10 people you still need 10 weeks to gain the money back, or with 100 people its 1week ... or prices below.
    Also it would be able to rent out for free :3

This was also an idea for already established ingame planets in vanilla games, so that there are like "glitch homeworlds" and "avian homeworlds" having big cities where you can rent a shop because you feel like living in a populated world instead of making your own in case you play alone and dont care about your NPCs.

This sounds like they would own all tiles "from heaven to hell" along a few X coordinates. The problem with that is, it would limit you too much.
    In a real 3D world it is okay to own some land and be mostly free to do whatever you want. Still you cant dig as deep as you want everywhere or build as high as you want. But the main disadvantage would be, that you can not realize sharing one single structure like a huge castle, treehouse or whatever with others because you can only separate it along the X axis (width) and not along Y (height).
    Adding an option to sell or rent out all tiles along the X axis is okay but limiting to it is a no-go :D

All features within a game are of course abuseable when you do it right, like you could always mine blocks below other players to annoy them or always pull enemies toward you and your base, same for some "evil players trying to get rich". But its actually up to everyone to pay or not to play because you arent forced to do so. Its ultimately up to whom you play with i thing and thus you should select your companions wisely and not care about ohers like those selling each a tile for a few millon pixels per day :D

So yes, having an option for "all tiles from top top bottom along the x axis" within the sell or rent out selection would be interesting.

PS: buying and selling weapons/armors/furniture is also a market and thus an economy, yet you dont have to use them :3

4. Volcanite

Volcanite Master Chief

ah well i guess thats where our interests differ. i think being limited along the X axis but not along the Y is plenty. and as for the economy stuff i'm just worried starbound is gonna turn into an mmo. and i mean that in the respect that some people get uber lootwise/moneywise/etc, not that there's necessarily exploiting going on.

5. Eldian

Eldian Cosmic Narwhal

But buying a planet? Clans? I would get this if Starbound was to be a MMO, but barring multiplayer, where odds are you can get in an agreement with the other players to create a custom economy, I wonder how this would work in game. I always thought we would be able to simply claim uninhabited planets at will.
    Although the idea of letting npcs expand is interesting, saves me the hazzle of making them a city to make my homeworld look nice.
    Maybe you could get an options menu for a planet and allow 'personal building' or something, and if enabled, the npcs living in there would build a house from a template database using native materials, so their constructions are not mad. Of course, you could add to the database as some sort of modding layer?

6. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Starbound - Planet Tycoon DLC

SmoothGuy, Tschomb78 and Garrelton like this.
  7. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

↑ Well bit of Tycoon,yes,but thats just great! Also,the problem is that it has to include grief protection actually,imagine buying some area for xxxxxxxxxx milions pixels after some painfull weaks,then griefer cames,yup,all the hard work is fu***d,i like this idea,altrough needs a bit of improvement

BrutorDragon likes this.
  8. Kohtachan

Kohtachan Void-Bound Voyager

Nice Idea.

9. Gentleraptor

Gentleraptor Pangalactic Porcupine

I approve of player cities, but it's really hard to measure how much area you need in a 2d enviroment, I think. Not sure how that would work out...

10. plaYer2k

Thats exactly the use of that suggestion, a griefer can not build everywhere unless he is allowed to.

Everything else like whom to sell/rent out certain regions entirely is the owners responsibility just like in a real world.

When someone has an idea how to improve this suggestion iam open for everything. Like a system to get rid of certain region owners that dont manage their property well enough.
    Like a "Planet committee" that watches over certain activities (self organized moderators) and got the power to act and force actions.

Isnt that "how much area someone gets" up to the owner?
    When i buy a planet and then sell maybe 500x200 tiles to someone who wants to build a shopping mall there to rent out shops in there to players, its up to them to organize that :D

11. Tschomb78

Tschomb78 Void-Bound Voyager

I do like the idea, however I too think that "renting" may cause some serious problems in some cases.
    Maybe a mix of renting for some areas (Closest to the stores, not the biggest space), and just plain out buying the land (One time fee, a bit further from stores, but a bit more space to build.)

12. Gentleraptor

Gentleraptor Pangalactic Porcupine

well yes, but it's still hard to measure how much everyone needs. I mean, I'm having problems doing that in minecraft.

... I have the feeling I just can't quite write down what I'm trying to say... oh well, carry on.

13. Tschomb78

I get what you're saying.
    It's hard to know exactly how much space you'll need to build something, unless you map out what you want to build completely. And even that is subject to change when you realize "Oh, I don't like this wall here." and then have to change it.

14. plaYer2k

In that case you can always buy more adjacent tiles to expand your Building.

One of the many things i want to achieve is to make things like "flats/apartments" and "shopping malls" feasible.
    So that someone can have "his own property" within a community that is protected from others but managemable from anyone who owns it and not just the server admins.
    it shall give those owning the property the security to do what they want while restricting others.

Imagine a big building with 40 apartments, 10 floors and 2 elevators with each 4 apartments per floor and 2 per elevator.
    Or a public market where everyone can rent 6x6 tiles to place a small stand to sell items as you pass by.

In my opinion, arguing against it is equal to arguing against buying homeplanets which is already a game feature. You just get more control and possibilities with that suggestion.

15. Tschomb78

Oh, I'm not against it. I just feel that the renting-out could be abused towards new players.
    I completely agree with how awesome it would be to have a building like you described, but I'm also imagining that said building could be near the center of town, with all of the shops etc. Whereas the slightly larger houses could be further from the center of town.

16. Jagaeg

Jagaeg Big Damn Hero

It should be more of an optional decision than a mandatory requirement to live on someone's planet of course.

Thus, this era begins the era of wondering-street-space hobos.