You cant beat everything.

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Sarzael, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Doesnt matter how strong you and your technology is, you wont be able to beat everything in the universe. It would become unrealistic and boring. (Just like terraria became once you got Hallowed...)

Sometimes you will have to run away, or hide. And if you think about it, if done correctly, escaping is just as fun and exciting, or more, than a good bossbattle.

Think of it.
    You re swimming in a very deep sea with your scuba suit, and you go to deep. Your flashlight barely iluminates enough now. When you see suddenly something, you get closer to see what it is, getting ready your harpoon in the other hand, then this appears:
    [​IMG]

Seeing the Giant Sized Fish-thing, you try to escape with all your forces, but it chases you, and try to attracts you towards its mouth, you fire the harpoon at one of its eye, which gives you a few seconds of freedom, a few glorious seconds, allowing you to get far enough as for it not to be able to attract you, but it doesnt give up and chases you, knowing that in water you wont survive a lot, you try and reach the beach, and run away as far possible, it jumps out of the water, hits the beach, breaks some block, it does some strange loud sound, and then goes back to where it came from.

Doesnt matter how powerful you re, there will always be something you will have to run from, these giantic and powerful creatures are all trough the universe, commonly in the harder to reach sites, such as the very deep of a ocean, or the very core of a planet. They are extremely rare in low level planets, and still rare enough in max hard planets, but if you play long enough you will find some for sure, maybe even quests that lead you towards them, even if you dont know it.

Imagine an fisher who asks you to catch some Weird-Space-Eels, you go there, expecting something like this
    [​IMG]
    (Not that size, smaller of course)

And instead find this...

[​IMG]

You begin attacking it, but seeing that it is getting closer, and you dont do anything to it, you run away, avoiding various obstacles, while it just breaks everything it finds, until a giant fishing net gets it caught, and puts it on earth, where the fisher gives you a prize, and says it will die if it doesnt have water, and that it will feed whole village.

Those are just examples of creatures that you CANT beat, atleast by common means.

Actually, not all are unbeatable.
    If you see the quest idea i gave, you will see that you actually BEAT the... eel? Just not by common means.

Imagine this quest:
    An giantic fliying creature is attacking towns in planet every day, so they develop an machine to beat it. You gotta help by going into the cave where it lives and then get some resources, then run away for it not to eat you.
    Then the town will develop an airship that you will have to help drive and fight it back in an epic battle, an airship capable of dealing real damage to the monster.

Note: Not being able to kill them doesnt mean you should stop attacking, attacking MAY distract them, or even make them think you re not worth the bothering and just go away (They dont despawn, so careful when you go back to the site you found it on, it may still be nearby).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. I like this idea but since this is a video game people might just assume everything is killable one way or another. There should be some way of informing the player that the enemy can't be attacked so they don't just die against it.

The Good Doctor and okay like this.
  3. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

If there is an HP Bar, maybe instead of showing an number of life it shows this: ∞? (That means Infinite)

Qader, okay and Hypermajava like this.
  4. Auraknight

Auraknight Weight of the Sky

that sounds good,
    or perhaps a
    ???? +more ? marks for Each digit of hp that a normal boss has?

5. Auraknight

Auraknight Weight of the Sky

was so expecting a lagasarus from MHTri,
    this is close enough

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  6. Iggyflare

Iggyflare Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe if you scan it ( assuming you can scan creatures while running away from them ), there will be a notification that its hp is "99999999999999" then that would be frighting :eek: but amazing idea mate. I enjoy impossible things, gives adrenaline rush :up:

7. Thero

Thero Aquatic Astronaut

love your example, however I don't like the idea of infinite life mobs...

How about... Let's say a monster that is extremely difficult to kill - a lot of life and takes a long time and skill to kill, if you are lucky...

But you might get attacked by a swarm of them! :eek:

Technically speaking, it is possible to kill them, but since killing 1 is nearly impossible, just upping the numbers makes it more of a challenge. ;)

8. Iggyflare

a few side note's...
    #1 They should be extremely rare, like 1/30 planets would even host a beast. So it wouldn't become annoying that they keep getting in the way of your gameplay.

#2 They should be beatable, with a impossible amount of Hp that doesn't regenerate, so you could chip it down alot, then leave the planet and come back and its still the same Hp. Cause I can see them being agitating... imagine you have all of this stuff then out of no where, a "Unbeatable" wall of death hits you and you die...:facepalm: not very fun. so it should be Impossible, but not unbeatable. ;) (oops sorry for copying your post Thero :oops: was typing mine when you posted yours... sorry mate)

9. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

But you actually can kill anything one way or another. If not using your own tech and strength, then by other means. For example, if i found a monster with 99999999 hp, i would presume that he is not killable with normal weapons, but you can beat him in some other way. If it's a giant-fish-thing, then by luring it into some place from which i can remove water and make it suffocate. Or by luring it into a giant cavern which i can collapse. Or by poisoning it. Or by going inside and ripping it apart from there.

There is always some way to destroy anything.

NinjaHobo, XRiZUX, Avatra and 6 others like this.
  10. Daniel

Daniel Void-Bound Voyager

I don't think we should totally make enemies really unbeatable, but I agree that even when you have acquired the best items in the game, you should still have some enemies that are just incredibly hard to beat.

Though, it's a good suggestion, Terraria got quite boring once you had all end tier weapons and armor. But that's partially because you don't have anything more to achieve at that point with exception of building.

fkjac, XRiZUX, Percival and 3 others like this.
  11. Iggyflare

Thats a good idea's mate. but if you were unprepared for such a monster then its basically unbeatable again. they should be player spawned boss mobs (like breaking the black orbs in terraria or the voodoo doll) so you could prepare yourself for the attack. You should actually make another topic for that suggestion :DD

12. Epicroyal

Epicroyal Cosmic Narwhal

Basically those invincible cat things in Spiral Knights, and like that one bandit that never died for me in Borderlands 2.. Sure I think the force that destroyed your home planet would fit your description, but they are going to be adding onto the game so it won't get dull.

13. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

i like your idea, however i don't think these giant beasts should be unbeatable: they should be insanely hard to beat
    -crazy amount of hp
    -deals heavy damage
    -very rare to come by
    -drops some good ass loot

for instance they can be found only by special means, or on certain planets
    like you need to have a certain item equipped, or use an item to summon the great leviathan from it's underwater slumber :viking:

i don't want to make it seem to much like the way terraria had you summon to hard mode bosses, but my idea is quite similar

perhaps there are special temples/castles/places that house these creatures, and by some special means they awaken
    I'll explain a situation below

okay so im on a high level planet, and the place i need to fight one of the hidden bosses(I'll call this one the sky dragon,but replace it with Latin or something instead of English)
    there's a small chance that a flying castle will appear on a planet, but it won't tell you, you have to find it yourself: it's very high up and has hard enemys(like wyverns flying outside of the castle) inside with loot to match the hard enemys
    and there are a number of alters i suppose at the top of the castle(the summoning place of the dragon)

you need *thinks*..let's say 6 crystallized eyes of some rare creature to place on each of the alters, then you must ignite the eyes with fire(like a torch or hit a switch somewhere to turn them on) in which case-will summon the sky dragon and you hear it's loud roar as it fly's toward you

here are it's stats

- hp = 500,000
    - defense = (idk defense values in SB, so make it almost max level) (its resistant towards everything except for a few unknown elements)
    - attack = insane amount of damage for getting hit by it's claws(it's fang attacks are even more devastating along with it's dragon breath)

imaging this thing(kirin) as the sky dragon coming down from the clouds(but with a physical body, not made of lightning)

[​IMG]

NinjaHobo, fkjac and XRiZUX like this.
  14. VIking977

VIking977 Tentacle Wrangler

Fantastic idea, i love it so much. Instilling some fear into the player is always a good idea, makes the game a lot more colorful.

I'm a little less enthusiastic about the idea of informing the player these things are unkillable, it seems to me the panic would make this more fun if you had no idea what's going on. Everyone remembers the first time they trespassed the dungeon in terrarria, am i right? that's how i imagine this, only less sudden. Say you're traversing some deep place and the music suddenly starts to dim, slowly at first then becomes completely silent. Then you hear a distant roar, then another roar that sounds like it's just outside your field of view, and then the monster attacks you. You fire at it with everything you have, but your most powerful weapons only slow it down, and make it angry.

Sadly, what i envision is kind of unfeasible in this day and age. Everyone knows that the inevitable starbound will wiki will document everything there is to know about these beasts, and what to do if you get caught by one. I doubt it will be a surprise for a lot of people, which ruins a lot of the fun that would otherwise be there. Oh well i guess, that's one side effect of the internet. This is still a fun idea, and i hope it makes it into the game.

15. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

SuperMobs that are very hard to kill even with the highest tier weapons are a good idea, but only if the rewards for killing them are not required to make better equipment. In Terraria, you had to beat the Hardmode Bosses to get the best Hardmode Gear, and once you had it there was nothing challenging to use it on.

Basically the way it works is like this:
    Starting Gear => Beat Boss I => Forge Tier I Gear => Beat Boss II => Forge Tier II Gear => Etc...
    In Terraria, it ends with Beat Final Bosses => Forge Final Gear => Nothing to fight
    It should end with an Uber Boss, with no functional reward except something like a merit badge or silly hat for vanity slots.

On another note, when the Eye of Cthulu spawned during my first time playing Terraria, I felt so helpless and so surprised, with only my wooden boomerang and iron armor. Same with the Eater of Worlds. The Goblin Army had some warning first, but you didn't really know what to expect unless you checked online. Anyway, this sounds exactly like what you are talking about. Bosses that are much stronger than what you are used to, that suddenly come out without much warning. You may need to flee, or you could fight it out if you are well prepared, but either way it would be a fun surprise.

fkjac and Daniel like this.
  16. Daniel

Daniel Void-Bound Voyager

Though I fully agree with this and you make a very strong and valid point about Hallowed Items being next to useless, I don't think it should be just bosses that are tough to beat. For example, remember the first time you played Terraria? Even Green Slimes were a threat, but after killing a few, you get past the fear of them. But then zombies are starting spawn in the night and there's a new challenge. At some point there was really not challenge by any regular mobs any more. The game got boring and you started to engage in boss fights just for the joy of having a bit more challenge. This is why I think Starbound should have some really tough mob encounters and I think it's an idea that would work well with Starbound in special. If on Terraria there were really hard mobs to be found anywhere in the world, it'd be a problem as you might encounter them when you don't want to. But on Starbound you know exactly what you're getting yourself into as you take the effort to fly to a planet and explore it, while aware of the strong monsters that inhabit the place.
    This doesn't mean though that I'd want just easy monsters on the beginning planets, my idea would be that when you go deeper, there would also be rather hard bosses to be found in depths of a planet, a bit like the infamous Bone Serpent.

17. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Lies. You can beat everything.

If violence isnt solving your problems you obviously arent using enough of it!

Arcstone, Lynx88, XRiZUX and 11 others like this.
  18. DeadlyLuvdisc

Creepers. 'nuff said.

Otherwise, if it can move through blocks = teleport back to your ship to despawn it.
    If it can't move through blocks, quickly build a wall between you and dig a tunnel around it until it despawns.

Aw... Nothing is scary when you use your brain. http://sadtrombone.com/

19. DeadlyLuvdisc

I was expecting a Plesioth's Hip Check.

20. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

They dont despawn. Also, i dont think you should be able to teleport while in battle, atleast not always. Maybe only when you re nearby to the dropship, that they said would be some kind of basement once you re landed in planet?
    And, the going trough blocks, or not, depends on the monster. The idea for the examples i gave was that they wouldnt go trough blocks, but they would be able to break some, till they get to you. So putting blocks in the way would be a distraction, giving you a few seconds of rest if you do it well enough, or converting themselves into your tombstone if you dont.