You cant beat everything.

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Sarzael, Oct 18, 2012.

1. AnonTheMouse

AnonTheMouse Industrial Terraformer

Not getting too deep in the discussion right now, I just want to say that the initial post did a good job of painting the picture for me. So long as it didn't happen too often, some "The blasters do nothing!" moments would keep gameplay exciting. Mixed with greater freedom to decide how to deal with the thing that's beyond your ability to fight than you see in a lot of games, especially.

2. Sarhon

Sarhon Void-Bound Voyager

I think that a super strong boss like that should be beatable only through two means. one being really awesome and witty like people who beat the dungeon guardian. two having a BIG mech to fight it with. We already know that giant mechs will exist in the game they probably would be really big have super high defense and deal massive damage. they won't be suitable for fighting small monsters since it is hard to aim your giant energy sword at your own feet ,but they would be perfect for fighting giant monsters. you can't just carry around a mech anywhere you go so you will still be able to get that charm of running away from a boss you just can't fight ,but you can also run away knowing you can go in and defeat it if you are prepared. granted prepared means using MASSIVE amount of resources to build a giant robot killing machine ,but hey if you don't have the materials to build a mech than you probably shouldn't be on such a high level planet in the first place. I also think that you should get some awesome material from killing these guys. It shouldn't be any item that is more powerful than every other item. it should be something about as strong as what you get from a level 100 world that way it won't force you to fight these things to get the best items. By the way you don't have to worry about becoming too overpowered the developers have assured us that no matter how big and terrifying you get level 100 worlds will still be hard.

3. TsukiOkami

TsukiOkami Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Two words. Whale Shark. And I doubt many people will understand what I mean.

Necrovore likes this.
  4. AnonTheMouse

AnonTheMouse Industrial Terraformer

You mean like a whark?

Or an actual specimen of rhincodon typus? - because those are filter-feeders and not all that dangerous other than being big.

5. Necrovore

Necrovore Pangalactic Porcupine

Got that thing down to within a hit or two of dying, then it bugged out on me, was really irritating :p

Don't be silly, you don't swing the sword at those guys, you have a giant floor mat at the hanger you store your mech to wipe the crushed remains off your size 120 all terrain steel tipped mech foot pads :p

6. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I dun like the idea of an enemy wwhat can't be killed.

I like the idea of an enemy you can't kill by yerself, howwevver. Logically, you can kill anyfin' if you wwork together, but there's definitely some fins you can't do alone.

7. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

If 1 person with a gun attacks a tank, small arms guns such as an assault rifle,
    or even a group or a few hundred they will always lose because they can't damage the tank with that kind of equipment.
    There are some things that can't be beaten *Sometimes the limit is what weapon is used*.

8. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Sayin' y'can't beat it because you'vve got the wwrong wweapon doesn't mean it ain't killable. You just didn't prepare fer the battle correctly.

If wwe're allowwin' tanks in our examples now then I have no qualms throwin' rocket launchers and aerial bombers into the mix. Lessee a tank survvivve that.

9. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

My eyesss!

Also, you cant kill everything. Other creatures would be able to kill them, but you cant.
    If you put two of those creatures together, they will fight till one or both die. However, they re to strong as for you to actually beat them without very specific stuff.

Vance Renadi likes this.
  10. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I didn't misunderstand the concept, I wwas disagreein' wwith it.

I agree that at some point certain monsters oughtta be strong enough to ignore SPECIFIC attacks, but not ALL of them.

There should NOT be a mechanic in the game wwhere a monster ignores yer attacks just because yer alone or you wwanna see an unkillable monster, is wwhat I'm sayin'. It should depend on yer equipment. And evven if you havve the best then there may be some monsters that are just too strong and fast for you ta kill alone (because they wwill kill you first before you evven get decent damage in, and then regenerate HP wwhile you're awway or just plain despawwn).

Also shuddup Lavvender is the least offensive color yeesh. lol

11. Hammerskyne

Hammerskyne Void-Bound Voyager

I agree with the general idea of the suggestion, and caveat that these encounters would have to be rare and easy to differentiate from regular 'boss' mobs. I'd also stipulate that sure, they should be 'killable' if you're willing to chip away at 99% damage reduction and 5x10^12 health, but they shouldn't drop anything worthwhile if you choose to do that. They should be atmospheric and surprising, and the reward should be from the things they do while chasing you, or the area you escape into.

Also, giant, hardly-killable creatures that are neutral or neutral-until-provoked could also be cool. Think of a Blue Whale sized bird, or a huge, huge, HUGE worm on a vast desert planet, just lazily patrolling around. He's not for anything, and you don't have to attack him, but if you do something to anger him, he'll make you regret it!

(or maybe eat you and then you get to adventure around inside him for a bit.)

Stranglehanz likes this.
  12. Zezarict

Zezarict Big Damn Hero

Quoting a post wayyyyy back, but I'm playing mh3u right now and on the quest to hunt that! xD

Got ma Barroth Armor and Insecticutter Duel Blades, I am ready.

BACK ON TOPIC!!!

Those two aqautic enemies in the original posts WOULD be killable with conventional weaponry in real life though. They don't look like they have extremely tough skin so a single bullet in the right place in real life could kill them. I DO agree that there should be some creatures that can't be damaged by normal means though. But I do think everything should be killable. Maybe just some things through a advanced weaponry or whatever. For example maybe a like 200 foot tall armored Golum-like creature. You can't damage it at all with our handheld guns, but maybe through a giant advanced mech it takes a LOT of resources to build or something it's doable. Or perhaps like a large scale attack on it from a village or something similar. You get my point.

Auraknight likes this.
  13. 630tiger

630tiger Phantasmal Quasar

Huh...this idea is actually pretty good. Normally I discourage invincibility for enemies, friends, or anything else, but this makes way more sense than most suggestions of the sort. I would add to this, though, that a lot of the creatures would just seem invincible at first. Starship cannons are another thing, and something that would be very hard to use against such monsters and may or may not be told to the player.

14. Ausgang

Ausgang Orbital Explorer

Liked the idea, but I think it would be more natural and less prone to frustration(like you trying to kill an monster with 81298478125789124 HP 500 damage at a time thinking it will drop something nice, and at it drops is a cookie) it those things were integrated into the planet's biome. You mencioned sea monsters in the deeper water levels, and that fits, but I also imagine a giant wurm inside sand caves, that goes around and around, waking destruction in its path, a herd of wild "bulls/cats/whatever" in a forest, etc.

15. I think this is a good idea, but I can see where others would not think so. I'm a survival lover when it comes to video games, so I could handle dropping down in some new planet's atmosphere with great gear only to be hunted by something I can't win against.

It would be interesting to have creatures that are impossible to beat with one player, but pooling resources and other players together would make it possible to take on said creature.

Imagine finding a post on the forums requesting assistance in the capture/fight of a creature. That'd be really neat, give purpose to some bounty hunter guilds or others that like to role play in that fashion, and ultimately promote communal game play.

16. Flevalt

Flevalt Pangalactic Porcupine

Survival is a fun aspect that should be important to this kind of game anyway right?

Auraknight likes this.
  17. Khaos

Khaos Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea that you won't be able to beat the living snot out of everything with your bare hands. It'll add alot of immersion into the game. I like the idea. It sounds amazing, you kill a ridiculous difficult boss, only to remember, there's always something stronger.

18. Sinvoid

Sinvoid Phantasmal Quasar

So on this topic i have to say that Sarzael is correct, not being able to beat everything is "fun". Failure is fun in games as long as it is presented in a good manner. There is a form of game design that specifically targets a players vulnerability and exploits it to create very exciting and stressful challenging moments. I know as a player i respond to this by trying to beat the unbeatable in any way i can imagine. However games like this do often reach a point where you hit a peak but there's still much more to do and it doesn't always have to be combat related. I would like to say i would greatly enjoy vastly powerful bosses that would be supremely difficult to defeat. :sparta:

19. This is also a really neat. I like the idea of neutrals that are very hard to beat.

20. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

To be honest, I am ambivalent toward the idea. I'd agree that players shouldn't be able to rush through everything like a breeze just because they pack tier x cannons but I'd say that everything should be defeatable, just not with spamming. Make creatures of legends that cannot be hurt by majority of weapons but are susceptible to secondary effects like poison and only when, say, shot in the mouth when it's open - creatures that are a challenge, things that it may be better to run away from most of the time but there is some chance and prestige in defeating one, should one dare or create an army big enough to. Making something the sole function of is to mess player character up is as bad as creating one serving as a cannon fodder and existing just so someone can kill it.

Atmosphere, the thing OP seemed to have in mind while creating this thread is seldom ever achieved by one simple mechanics device like such. It's making the whole background, orchestrating situation properly that leads to tense or dramatic elements.